RCS Season Opener

1,627 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rlb28
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watched all 8 games at Campbell Center

- Cy Falls probably wins 6A state title again. Nigel Hawkins, 6'4 senior, could walk-on at A&M and get time. Ultra athletic and scored 30 pts vs. Katy Thompkins who has kids going to OU and Ga Tech.

- After watching Jae LeDee (Kinkaid) I'm ok with him going to Ohio St over Aggies. Very out of shape. Big body but nothing special.

- 6'6 DeKaney soph Micah Peavy is one to watch. Dad is coach, brother signed with Mercer.

- Savhir Wheeler can't play in SEC. Quick as a cat, but that's all he brings to the table, IMO. Aggies need to get out of that one quickly.

- Wheeler's teammate Miller Kopp is Ok, but might get buried on bench at Northwestern. Can u say Daniel Alexander?

- Oklahoma had two signees in tourney and they might start in Southland, but never for Sooners.

-Quentin Grimes is real desl. Shaka was there watching. Smooth as silk. Needs to work on handles.
TjgtAg08
AG
rlb28 said:

- Savhir Wheeler can't play in SEC. Quick as a cat, but that's all he brings to the table, IMO. Aggies need to get out of that one quickly.

Can you elaborate? I don't disagree, but I'm interested to know what you saw. I know Wheeler is small.
rlb28
AG
No shot to speak of. He just starts running downhill as fast as he can and is strong enough and fast enough to get to rim. Converts layups in HS, but will never get that deep in college. Really didn't penetrate and kick for assists. I saw him for spurts in AAU, but never in a controlled setting. And yes, stature is a problem.
SA-AG72
AG
For the old Ags out there. My grandson is playing varsity HS Basketball for coach Steve Sylestine.
Aston04
AG
rlb28 said:

No shot to speak of. He just starts running downhill as fast as he can and is strong enough and fast enough to get to rim. Converts layups in HS, but will never get that deep in college. Really didn't penetrate and kick for assists. I saw him for spurts in AAU, but never in a controlled setting. And yes, stature is a problem.
The real question is why did we offer him? Was this an Avery Johnson type situation in Houston? If so, they need to figure something out asap if he's not helping bring in other guys from the area.
AggieArcher17
AG
Grew up 3 doors down from Mr. Sylestine. His youngest daughter and I are the same age and carpooled all the way through high school together! We even dunked our rings together last fall. Steve is good people and an awesome coach!
rlb28
AG
I just found this comment on Nigel Hawkins from RCS founder Jim Hicks: "I'm confident Nigel Hawkins could generate some serious recruiting interest from a half dozen high major staffs, especially after last night's performance. I will share details only with him and/or mother. @CyFallsHoops."
Gap
AG
A&M is rarely in a position where they didn't wish they had a player like Sahvir Wheeler.
Method Man
Thanks for the info.
GE
AG
Its a 13 man roster in a sport where an 8 player rotation is usually the best option. We can afford to sign a guy like Wheeler on the chance that he either grows, develops his game to the point that he can contribute as an upperclassmen, or helps bring in others who will contribute.

How many teams in major college basketball have 13 scholarship players right now who will all contribute meaningfully at some point during their career? I'd be surprised if it's more than 5 percent.
Hop
Staff
AG
rlb28 said:

Watched all 8 games at Campbell Center

- Cy Falls probably wins 6A state title again. Nigel Hawkins, 6'4 senior, could walk-on at A&M and get time. Ultra athletic and scored 30 pts vs. Katy Thompkins who has kids going to OU and Ga Tech.

- After watching Jae LeDee (Kinkaid) I'm ok with him going to Ohio St over Aggies. Very out of shape. Big body but nothing special.

- 6'6 DeKaney soph Micah Peavy is one to watch. Dad is coach, brother signed with Mercer.

- Wheeler's teammate Miller Kopp is Ok, but might get buried on bench at Northwestern. Can u say Daniel Alexander?

- Oklahoma had two signees in tourney and they might start in Southland, but never for Sooners.

-Quentin Grimes is real desl. Shaka was there watching. Smooth as silk. Needs to work on handles.

A&M offered Hawkins back in the spring. I'm not sure if that offer is committable at this point. When I saw him in May/June, he has some nice athletic moves but I felt his ballhandling was not up to power 5 D-1 standards. Has he improved his handle in the past six months?
rlb28
AG
I think Hawkins has, but it's hard to tell because PG Trajan Wesley (ULL commit) is a stud and handles it most of the time. However, Wesley got into foul trouble and Cy Falls didn't miss a beat with Hawkins handling the ball. He's just a basketball player... creates, moves without the ball, catches alley-oops and dunks, gets steals and is very heady.

Wesley is small like Wheeler, but I think he is an absolute steal for Bob Marlin and the Cajuns.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.