Tyler Davis vs Joseph Jones

4,092 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CactusThomas
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TeamRankings had us as #27 in team total rebounding percentage
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Is that 260th in rebounding rate? Where are you seeing that?
kenpom

bobinator
AG
Hm, I'm not sure how he's calculating that, but it's hard to attribute the entirety of our rebounding ability to just one or two players. Even if Williams and Davis both averaged 10 boards a game that would be less than half of the total rebounds pulled down.

I'm just saying that, in this particular case, I don't think rebounding rate accounts for Davis' entire contribution to our team's ability to rebound.

I'd be interested in seeing our team rebounding splits when he and isn't on the court.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Hm, I'm not sure how he's calculating that,
ranked by =(1-OR%)

Quote:

but it's hard to attribute the entirety of our rebounding ability to just one or two players. Even if Williams and Davis both averaged 10 boards a game that would be less than half of the total rebounds pulled down.

I'm just saying that, in this particular case, I don't think rebounding rate accounts for Davis' entire contribution to our team's ability to rebound.

I'd be interested in seeing our team rebounding splits when he and isn't on the court.
agree that a couple of numbers don't paint the whole picture, but my general rule of thought is guys that are "excellent" put up excellent numbers in most cases. I've never seen splits for team rebounding with different lineups, that would definitely help if you had enough data points.
bobinator
AG
I just don't see anywhere else that has us that bad at allowing offensive rebounds. I didn't think we were very good at it, but I didn't think we were horrible at it either.

I'm normally a "if it's not in the numbers, then it probably doesn't exist" guy also, I just think in this case it's pretty clear to me that Davis' presence impacts our team rebounding significantly beyond just his own statistics.
Method Man
Nixter said:

JJ, and I think it's a pretty easy choice.

Joe had 3-point range, used his size more effectively, and had better skills around the basket. TD is bigger (longer wingspan for sure), stronger, and a better defender (but not by a lot - JJ was solid on both ends of the court).

I think TD can really play, but Joe was really, really good on some really, really good teams. And it's not a fair comparison because I know what we got from JJ and TD still has two seasons to change my mind.

Would we have been that much worse with Tyler Davis on those good teams?
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

I just don't see anywhere else that has us that bad at allowing offensive rebounds. I didn't think we were very good at it, but I didn't think we were horrible at it either.
Sports-reference had us at 31.3% (vs 31.2%) for opponents OReb% and #283 (vs #260)
Method Man
There is a lot of analysis on here I don't agree with. It's almost as if I'm not watching the same games y'all are.
bobinator
AG
Oh I see now, I was sorting their database wrong. That's a lot worse than I'd have thought.
Nixter
AG
Quote:

Would we have been that much worse with Tyler Davis on those good teams?
Would this team be any better with JJ?

As always, it depends. It would change the dynamic of both teams. Some for better. Some for worse.

Truth be told, I think TD makes either team better because his size and athleticism are harder to replace. But JJ was dependable and productive and complemented the players around him very well.

JJ was a dependable workhorse for us for a long time. If TD keeps it up, he's going to be hard to argue against. But I know what JJ brought, and it was indispensable.

This question will be much easier to answer in a couple of weeks.
CactusThomas
AG
Method Man said:

There is a lot of analysis on here I don't agree with. It's almost as if I'm not watching the same games y'all are.

I'm interested in hearing more of your opinion and what you disagree about.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.