Tyler Davis vs Joseph Jones

4,120 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CactusThomas
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who you taking?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Tyler
Hop
Staff
AG
I loved Jones' toughness and he had great hands...only matched by Davis' hands plus Davis is a little better around the basketball offensively. I'd go with Davis but that's a tough decision.
GE
AG
Davis
expresswrittenconsent
Not really fair to compare after only 2 seasons of tyler but it seems that tyler is getting better year over year while with Normangee it felt like his sr year was maybe his 3rd or 4th best season.
Tyler is also a true 5 and JJ was a 4 playing the 5.

Didnt JJ have a 35/10 performance as a soph in Austin? Tyler hasnt really come close to that yet.
Ulrich
Davis has more moves around the basket and is a good bit taller. Jones had more range, out to beyond the arc. Both are very strong, which is part of the reason Jones didn't have as many moves... he'd just back you down under the rim and throw it down (as Lamarcus Aldridge can attest). Davis has more upside at the next level. By his senior year, Jones ran like his knees were made of gravel which may have impacted his upside.

Both were great players that I enjoyed watching play.
bobinator
AG
Davis, and he's still getting better.
Aston04
AG
What Ulrich said. Both have high basketball IQs (know how to seal guys in the block). Davis could be a NBA player with the explosiveness he has added to his game. He is going to start turning heads soon if he keeps it up. Hope we keep him for next year.
LihaiAg06
AG
Jones was more physically gifted while Davis has more talent.

With the way Davis has improved his physique, gotta give the nod to him. Jones was a solid collegiate player. Davis will play beyond college and have a good shot at playing in the NBA.

Both great representatives of A&M, and I'm glad to call them both fellow Ags!
Zosima
6 months ago, I would have taken JJ without a doubt, but now I think I lean towards Davis. I am very impressed with his progress over the off-season and how he has looked so far. Most notably for the Puerto Rico basketball team.
Ulrich
JJ still plays professionally in Europe.
expresswrittenconsent
Ulrich said:

JJ still plays professionally in Europe.

Wasnt he playing in Iran last season when Trump failed with his first travel ban?
I would imagine the competition in the Iranian league is significantly worse than the Big12. He was probably putting up bigger numbers in 2017 Iran than in 2007 NCAA.
Seven Costanza
AG
He plays in France now. Same team as Josh Carter.
Topher17
AG
As great as JJ was, I'd have to go with Tyler. His development has been astounding and I'm pumped to get to watch him dominate this year.
CactusThomas
AG
Both have excellent strength and soft hands.

Tyler's foot work is impeccable though.
Pumpkinhead
AG
As others mentioned Jones had better range than Tyler, Davis seems to have better post moves. This new version 2.0 of Tyler (slimmed down version) is now more athletic and mobile and that ally oop that he finished from Gilder late in the second half was pretty impressive in terms of the bounce he showed. In that regard, I give Davis the mobility edge than the upperclassman Jones with knee problems. Both guys soft hands and mean and nasty. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Tyler has started off his junior season with a monster 23 point, 13 rebound game versus a Big 12 opponent. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out. Given all the perimeter weapons now around him, seems like opponents will have a much harder decision about doubling him compared to last season

And his production is going to go up just do to sheer hustle and the condition that he is now in.
The WVU game for example, Davis got at least 5 points and a couple of rebounds simply because of how hard he was running the floor, such as that And-1 play when Wilson missed a breakaway dunk but Tyler had run hard behind the play and rebounded Wilson's miss and finished. That was 3 points right there that was largely about hustle.
who?mikejones
AG
one would clearly choose Andy Slocum if given the option.
CapCityAg89
AG
I'll go with Tyler only because of knee health. A junior or senior JJ with healthy knees would've been absolutely dominate because of the inside-out game. Tyler has not shown any outside shot close to JJ.
Charlie Moran
AG
Someone post the gif of JJ picking that bailure guard at mid court . It is too funny
Charlie Moran
AG

Always entertaining
mallen
AG
2017 Tyler Davis vs 2017 Joseph Jones

No question. Tyler Davis.
Goose
AG
mallen said:

2005 Tyler Davis vs 2005 Joseph Jones

No question. Joseph Jones.
FIFY
Ulrich
Running into Joe Jones has to be like running into a house.

Those Baylor wins were the best. Such a trash fan base and athletic program.
letters at random
Jones. Just as physical, better shooter. Not as good around the basket, or as mobile, but he was such a good shooter, and could still use his body very well around the basket.
Nino Brown
Davis coached by Billy. Just kidding
letters at random
I was surprised by the stats. Jones averaged 12.8/6.4 over his career, and Davis is at 12.7/6.7. Very similar stats, actually. Jones a little better free throw shooter, Davis a little more efficient. Davis blocks it more often, Jones with more steals.
alamoaggie 64
Joseph brought a lot to table but as a player, I would go with Tyler.
YellAgs
AG
Ill go with old school JoJo
jml2621
bobinator said:

Yeah, it's not going to be close at the end of the year, and love the Man from Normangee.
themadmatter
Davis. His game is so rare and it is a pleasure to watch. I always worried about Jones' fouls situation.
BBDP
AG
Jones could shoot the three, set great screens, vomit on command and shut down LaMarcus Aldridge in his sleep.
Davis is better.
jml2621
Nino Brown said:

Davis coached by Billy. Just kidding

2007 BCG with this team...woah.

2017 not so much. Wish him well; glad Gillispie is coaching Ranger College again.

Swill94
AG
Depends, if it's 2014-2016 clean shaven Davis I'm taking Jones. If it's 2017 Man Mountain Survival Grizzle Beard Davis...... well lets be honest that beard alone advances Davis' speed, strength, and intellect. It's most likely the sole reason we beat WVU by such a wide margin
Ulrich
jml2621 said:

bobinator said:

Yeah, it's not going to be close at the end of the year, and love the Man from Normangee.

I believe you mean the PRIIIIDE of Normangee!

And didn't Dave call him the Normangee Tractor?
Method Man
Jones hit two 3s in the KU win. Struggling to think of another 3 he hit in a game.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.