I know it's a few weeks away but Let's talk Arizona

4,988 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aeroag14
Aggie_3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who all is going I just booked a flight out of Austin for the game! This has the potential to be a top 10 matchup once this game rolls around I don't want to miss it!

Pumpkinhead
AG
DeAndre Ayton is a freak human being. Look at that photo from just a few days ago. and he is 7'1" tall.

bobinator
AG
Glad we have Williams for that one. I'm still interested in what our style is going to be this year, that game will tell us some.
Badace52
AG
Williams and Davis combined on this guy would be close to an even fight...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie_3
Pumpkinhead said:

DeAndre Ayton is a freak human being. Look at that photo from just a few days ago. and he is 7'1" tall.

Holy ****
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Glad we have Williams for that one. I'm still interested in what our style is going to be this year, that game will tell us some.
Yeah, I'll be curious to see if we continue pressing opponents a bunch and flying up and down the court like we saw last night. Of course part of the reason for us playing so fast today was WVU's style is based on speeding up the opponent to create turnovers. So we obliged them by playing fast.
3rdGen2015
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Meh. He's like a small Myles.
bobinator
AG
Now that Davis looks like he can fly with the rest of them I don't see why not. My only concern with playing fast was that it might take one of our best players out of the game, but Davis looked fine at tempo tonight, so let's run.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aggie_3 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Holy ****
Uh...yeah...he's a monster. NBA scouts are drooling. Dude has an NBA ready body right the hell now immediately. I feel sorry for the large number of college centers that guy is going to destroy this season. At least Tyler probably has a puncher's chance 'cause he is pretty big boy himself (and a really good and experienced player), but the majority of teams that Zona faces, their center rotations will probably be peeing down their legs.
Badace52
AG
Really liked the game plan on this one by BK... It's nice to know we can play that fast if we need to and the team looks good doing it. Pretty different style of play than we've seen from BK in past years though and I bet he plays most of the games at a much slower pace with less pressing.

The most consistent thing I've seen in BK's teams is they play good defense in the half court. I think we'll see BK rely more on that and less on the press as the season wears on. They looked really good in the half court tonight too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bobinator
AG
BK loves having the talent to switch on the perimeter, and we did some of that tonight. We couldn't do it last year.
TheChameleon
AG
bobinator said:

Now that Davis looks like he can fly with the rest of them I don't see why not. My only concern with playing fast was that it might take one of our best players out of the game, but Davis looked fine at tempo tonight, so let's run.

He's really worked on his body. Looks very trim and in shape. Should be able to run the floor better now and get some easy finishes from all the guards. Team athleticism overall is impressive when everyone is back, should be able to run a lot but also slow down with Davis posting, plays for Hogg threes, etc. Combined with the defensive potential, this team is extremely exciting.
Pumpkinhead
AG
TheChameleon said:

bobinator said:

He's really worked on his body. Looks very trim and in shape. Should be able to run the floor better now and get some easy finishes from all the guards. Team athleticism overall is impressive when everyone is back, should be able to run a lot but also slow down with Davis posting, plays for Hogg threes, etc. Combined with the defensive potential, this team is extremely exciting.
I was impressed with that ally oop dunk that he finished late in 2nd half off of a Gilder lob pass. He looked real bouncy on that play (and it was late in the game too after lots of minutes already under his belt).
bobinator
AG
Tyler played 30 minutes tonight and could have played a couple more, that's a huge hidden number in the stats.
Deputy Travis Junior
Pumpkinhead said:

Eh, Andy Slocum was more yoked than this dude.
jml2621
bobinator said:

BK loves having the talent to switch on the perimeter, and we did some of that tonight. We couldn't do it last year.
You couldn't switch with Hampton or Collins. We have guys that can guard 1-3 if needed.

CactusThomas
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Gonna hit the floor hard when he falls.
PatAg
AG
Haven't seen him play yet, but there is a lot more to being a big man then looking for.
Rock1982
AG
I watched Arizona play NAU in Tucson last night. They are good. 10 deep. Very well coached.

Trier is a legit first team AA. Fast, smart, and deadly beyond 3. Such a smooth shooter. I don't remember his final stats, but he scored about 35 mostly from beyond the arc. He missed a FT once (out of ~10) and the crowd gasped. I do remember him being 8/10 at the half, mostly from 3 but a few aggressive drives to slams.

Ayton is everything they say. I hadn't seen him play before. What's different is that while 7'1" he is also strong, fast, and a very good shooter.

If the Ags beat Zona we are serious contenders.
hellcat9
AG
Doesn't Ariz have some suspensions?
Serious Lee
not that i know of. They are without rawle alkins though who is injured until december sometime
Rock1982
AG
Arizona had one player and one assistant coach suspended last night. Maybe for another gone as well.

The cloud of the FBI investigation is hanging over the Arizona fans for sure. Best talent ever, including national championship and multiple final 4s, and it could be for nothing.
jickyjack1
bobinator said:

Tyler played 30 minutes tonight and could have played a couple more, that's a huge hidden number in the stats.

Tyler Davis must have an almost inexhaustible fund of self discipline. First he lost all that weight in high school. After a couple of years of intense work in college he decided that, to be the player he wants to be, he needed to double down and lose even more weight while maintaining or increasing his strength. This much effort over several years -- not 'maintaining' but increasing -- demonstrates world-class determination and self-discipline.

So now the fat kid of five or six years ago is become the paint warrior people saw the other night.

He deserves everything he gets; here's hoping it's a lot.

TjgtAg08
AG
hellcat9 said:

Doesn't Ariz have some suspensions?
Keanu Pinder, along with an assistant head coach.
jaxisback
They may be 10 deep, but it didn't show in the NAU box score last night. I think they only had six players with double digit minutes.
GE
AG
Big guy is pretty good. Been watching this game against the nobody on and off
CapCityAg89
AG
Watching them now. Comment one: Ayton is really good but that picture is, um, optimized. It'll be a really good matchup with Davis who I think is in better condition and much more experienced obviously. I think in general we can match their size which will be rare for both of us. They're playing Maryland Baltimore County who has gotten open shots and drives so they're either not motivated or just play so-so defense.

I'll be curious to see how we compare against an out-gunned opponent.
CapCityAg89
AG
Alonzo Trier might be a tougher matchup for us. Really good player.
GE
AG
I've got the sound off and have been trying to sort out what UMBC meant for most of the game. Also wondering why their mascot is the retrievers
CapCityAg89
AG
101 points for Zona with 1:40 left. Of course UMBC scores 76 and was at 10 with about 5 left. Big run by Zona at the end.
expresswrittenconsent
United Maid & Butler College
SA-AG72
AG
Retriever is the state dog of Maryland
EliteZags
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Deputy Travis Junior
bobinator said:

I'm interested in this too. After watching Davis, I'm starry-eyed thinking about a twin towers offense with Williams, but Gilder leads a nice group of guards too. Not sure how we'll decide to play this out.
aeroag14
AG
Driving up from Tucson for the game! Should be a good one! UofA looked a little sloppy at the start of the game the other night before turning it on. I think we can give them all they can handle
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.