This team

7,206 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wacarnolds
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of every team in the nation, but there's no way there are 10 teams with better rosters top to bottom than the group Kennedy has put together
EKG1996
AG
Overreaction

wacarnolds
AG
EKG1996 said:

Overreaction

List em
AG
No, it is absolutely not an overreaction. I would LOVE for you to tell me 10 teams with more sheer player talent than us. Now coaching, on the other hand, is still a question mark and may or may not be the reason why we aren't a top ten team. But the talent is there.
txag72
AG
How many players from out of state? Trocha. Williams. Always said if we could just keep them in state theres more talent in Texas than anywhere.
Leander - Ag
AG
Go look how the odds have dropped for this team to win it all.

That was an impressive win
wacarnolds
AG
txag72 said:

How many players from out of state? Trocha. Williams. Always said if we could just keep them in state theres more talent in Texas than anywhere.

Wilson is from Milwaukee. Otherwise Houston+Dallas

TopoTacos
AG
At full strength, talent-wise, we can compete with anyone in the country. In fact, we might have the nation's best frontcourt duo in Williams/Davis. Kennedy made some good moves tonight to counteract Press Virginia as the 1st half wore on, and I think much of the early issue was a result of sitting so many of our guys as their punishments for whatever violations took place.

If Kennedy can get his rotations right and help bring along some of the freshmen talent we have, this could be a special season. However, there's still a ton of hoops to be played.
jml2621
wacarnolds said:

EKG1996 said:

Overreaction

List em

It's early, early, early, early...but A&M is now #7 on kenpom. #3 in defensive efficiency. A nice tip of the cap.

wacarnolds
AG
jml2621 said:

wacarnolds said:

EKG1996 said:

Overreaction

List em

It's early, early, early, early...but A&M is now #7 on kenpom. #3 in defensive efficiency. A nice tip of the cap.

23 pt win vs top 15 team on a neutral court is the HGH of computer rankings
EKG1996
AG
Wow. I'm an idiot because I don't think this team is the one of the most talented teams in the country?

I definitely think this team can be very good and compete with anyone if we play our A game.

However saying that we have superior talent than almost everyone else is in the country, is just not accurate.

Williams and Davis are two of the better post players in the country. We have several other good players but none that are considered to be the most talented at their positions.

I will say if Gilder and Hogg shoot every game like they did tonight then you may be on to something. They got a lot of open looks tonight and knocked them down. However they haven't done it consistently enough to be given the benefit of the doubt just yet. Of course I have never seen Caldwell play so maybe he is great, but I think I will wait and see.

UNC, Michigan State, Duke, Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Louisville, Kansas, Missouri, Villanova, Miami

Pumpkinhead
AG
How far do ya'll think we'll rise in the next AP rankings? They come out each Sunday, is that right? I'm guessing we will shoot up into the Top-15 in the next AP poll with that win.
Pumpkinhead
AG
EKG1996 said:

UNC, Michigan State, Duke, Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Louisville, Kansas, Missouri, Villanova, Miami

Not going to look at each of those above rosters, but no way I'd pick Missouri's roster over ours. I think A&M has a better roster top-to-bottom in terms of talent. And, I personally like our roster better than Florida's as well (particularly if Caldwell lives up to Logan's take that he is the best lead guard on the team 'by far').
bobinator
AG
I bet not quite, maybe high teens, probably about 20.

I said this last week, but I think WVU was pretty overrated. But now we shouldn't lose for a couple weeks, so we'll see how high we climb.
Serious Lee
rankings are mondays for hoops IIRC. id guess 15-20 and WVU 20-25. Will be interesting to see if we rise more than they fall.
3rdGen2015
AG
This team is talented enough to be a 3 seed. Let's go win the SEC and see what happens in March.
bobinator
AG
We're talented enough to be any seed.
txjortsagent
AG
bobinator said:

We're talented enough to be any seed.

This. From someone who knows more about basketball than any new self loather.
WGann3
AG
I'm a fairly pessimistic Ag and I said the exact same thing to a couple of buddies after the game, no doubt in my mind this team has top 10 talent. I just have serious doubts about BK. I root for the guy, but I personally think it's rare we have an X's and O's advantage. The good news is basketball is one sport where talent can carry a meh coach.

What gets me the most excited is that talent out there, whether you think it's top 10, top 20, whatever... is VERY experienced. A lot of the key players out there have been a part of a Sweet 16 team already, that's huge.
jagvocate
AG
Aggie basketball reminding us that A&M sports can be fun
PJYoung
AG
e.busche said:

I think much of the early issue was a result of sitting so many of our guys as their punishments for whatever violations took place.

100% this.
Aston04
AG
EKG1996 said:

Williams and Davis are two of the better post players in the country.

You just ranked Missouri ahead of us? Game on against a bunch of fish newbs v. our veteran frontline. Our front court is going to eat them up. Our guards will hold their own. Good luck with Florida keeping up with us... Also, UNC is way down this year too.

Quote:

Williams and Davis are two of the better post players in the country.

Yeah, a 10-15 lottery pick (if he went LAST year) and Davis (at an absolute beast at the college level) are two of the "better post players in the country..."

Completely disingenous downplaying of how good our front court. If we were ranking college big men, those 2 are easily in the top 10 in the country, perhaps top 5. Our front court is crazy good. Trocha is no slouch either off the bench.

As far as the rest of the rost- Gilder is good enough to be all-SEC caliber. With the improved pg play (Starks looks great, Caldwell everyone says is great, Wilson adds depth) we are looking good there. Hogg played way better yesterday... And if his level drops, we have the depth to play other guys finally (lineups with Starks and Caldwell out there, or play Flagg, Wilson, etc.). This is a damn good roster.
qunique_2004
AG
Hogg is the X factor. If he's shooting well we are damn near impossible to beat.
CactusThomas
AG
qunique_2004 said:

Hogg is the X factor. If he's shooting well we are damn near impossible to beat.

He's not going to do that consistently; we know that. But like last night, he can and will take over games. Just like he did last year against UT, USC, etc. The good thing is that this year we have Flagg to step in if DJ is having an off night.
Conner4real
AG
qunique_2004 said:

He can certainly help but I disagree he will be the X factor. I think Flagg can slide into that wing spot pretty seamlessly if needed. Honestly, he doesn't have that big of shoes to fill. Hoping Hogg turns the corner this season and just makes it rain every game.
bobinator
AG
I think that's the definition of an X factor. Hogg isn't going to be that good every game, but when he is it's certainly extremely helpful.
GE
AG
CactusThomas said:

qunique_2004 said:

He's not going to do that consistently; we know that. But like last night, he can and will take over games. Just like he did last year against UT, USC, etc. The good thing is that this year we have Flagg to step in if DJ is having an off night.
Also have other guards so we can put Admon at the 3 if need be
wacarnolds
AG
EKG1996 said:

Line up North Carolina's top 10 players and tell me which roster you'd take
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

I bet not quite, maybe high teens, probably about 20.

There are 20 teams with more talent, top to bottom, than us? foh
Charlie Moran
AG
Top 15 neutral site victory ? This will be huge in March for seeding. I'm pretty sure WVa will get it together and have a solid season. Esau could have made a big difference inside for them. They took Kansas into OT in Lawrence last year and frankly choked that game away.

That being said I thought without our 2 guys we would get eaten up by their press. I'm optimistic we can build on this . Maybe someone lit a fire under Hogg and Davis about refining their games for their future careers, maybe BK can coach after all ( he actually made in game adjustments ) and maybe just maybe we will seize the opportunity of a tough preseason schedule and build a resume for March.
Good teams win these games and enjoy an easy opening weekend. Let's hope that's finally us.
EKG1996
AG
Response to wacarnolds post...

He is talking about ranking.

My Overreaction post was in response to your hyperbole of "there is no way there are ten teams that have better rosters".

I think we are definitely a top 20 roster but acting like we are head and shoulders above in talent than almost all teams in the country just struck me as an overreaction due to how well our guys played last night.

Do we have the pieces to be a very good team? Yes
Can we be one of the best teams in the country? Maybe

I just don't see a team that rolls the ball on the court and overwhelms people with talent. If Gilder and Hogg shoot lights out every night then yeah maybe we do.

wacarnolds
AG
EKG1996 said:

Response to wacarnolds post...

He is talking about ranking.

My Overreaction post was in response to your hyperbole of "there is no way there are ten teams that have better rosters".

I think we are definitely a top 20 roster but acting like we are head and shoulders above in talent than almost all teams in the country just struck me as an overreaction due to how well our guys played last night.

Do we have the pieces to be a very good team? Yes
Can we be one of the best teams in the country? Maybe

I just don't see a team that rolls the ball on the court and overwhelms people with talent. If Gilder and Hogg shoot lights out every night then yeah maybe we do.

You say it's inaccurate that we have a top 10 roster and that I'm overreacting, but you also said Missouri has a more talented roster, so I don't know why I would trust your basketball opinion
Bachelor99
AG
We will only go as far as Hogg & PG play take us...
EKG1996
AG
Missouri has three future NBA lottery picks on their team so yes I do think they have more talent. However I don't think they will have as good a team this year as we will.
cedar
If you really knew anything about basketball you would know w Virginia is not a top 10 team. Way overrated. Still an impressive and important win for the team. Lets just not go crazy. I watched several games after ours and there are lots of very good teams.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.