Most Impressive Season Opening Win in Texas A&M Hoops History?

4,029 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiebacker81
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat like a drum a Top-10 pre-season ranked team in the season opening game. I assume this is most impressive Game #1 ever? First of all, how many times have we even opened the season against such a tough opponent?
rwtxag83
AG
Well, if it's not, it'll do till we have a better one!
Greater love hath no man than this....
dcbowers
AG
I am not sure if I agree. The 1974 opening win against Houston Baptist was pretty impressive.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Largest win ever against a ranked opponent according to ESPN.
madison4e
I have been critical of Coach Kennedy last season to the point of almost having a heart attack during some games last year. But I admit tonight this team impressed me to no end. Even the announcers were impressed with our defensive schemes. Good job Coach Kennedy and all of the staff.
CactusThomas
AG
Well said.
txag72
AG
x's and o's or jimmys and joes? That question should never be asked again.
bmiller
AG
A few years ago we beat #10 Gonzaga. But that wasn't the opening game. It was on Thanksgiving. But very impressive win nonetheless.
GrayMatter
AG
We barely won that Gonzaga game. The most impressive thing about this game is how we flipped the script on WV and used their own game against them. That is huge!
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Beat like a drum a Top-10 pre-season ranked team in the season opening game. I assume this is most impressive Game #1 ever? First of all, how many times have we even opened the season against such a tough opponent?

In November 1989, Tony Barone Shelby Metcalf led his squad up to Anchorage, AL and beat UConn and Jim Calhoun, 92-81,. UConn went 31-6 and finished #4 in the country.

They were unranked at the time of the game, and in the moment this feels #1. But that is probably #1 in reality.
Brush Country
What year was it we beat OSU for the pre season NIT championship?

Fran got fired while we were winning that game, iirc
Method Man
AggieBaller98 said:

We barely won that Gonzaga game. The most impressive thing about this game is how we flipped the script on WV and used their own game against them. That is huge!

That zags team was awesome though. They both feel good to me.
wacarnolds
AG
Brush Country said:

What year was it we beat OSU for the pre season NIT championship?

Fran got fired while we were winning that game, iirc

You don't know what year Fran got fired?
Chuck Gay
AG
Without Robert and JJ, there was a lot of x's and o's Involved. Don't be afraid to give Coach Kennedy credit when it is deserved.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

First of all, how many times have we even opened the season against such a tough opponent?

We opened at #11 OU once. And a couple of times vs #12 teams.
BTHOthatguy
All I know is we have some DUDES.
cedar
I'm a big critic of Kennedy but he deserves props for this game.. we've got some great players. It's always about jimmies and joes.
jml2621
txag72 said:

x's and o's or jimmys and joes? That question should never be asked again.

DEFENSE
Brush Country
Sorry, I'm sure you've lived your life in a lot more total misery than I have.
jml2621
Chuck Gay said:

Without Robert and JJ, there was a lot of x's and o's Involved. Don't be afraid to give Coach Kennedy credit when it is deserved.

Excellent defensive adjustment, but the key was Hogg's dramatically improved play and strength and stamina. Great D, rebounding, passing, shooting.
BTHOthatguy
Seriously. Dude has added 15-20 lbs of muscle.
mallen
AG
Quote:

In November 1989, Tony Barone led his squad up to Anchorage, AL and beat UConn and Jim Calhoun, 92-81,. UConn went 31-6 and finished #4 in the country.
Tony Barone wasn't the coach in 1989. It was Shelby Metcalf (at least for part of the year). He was fired later that season.
wacarnolds
AG
mallen said:

Quote:

In November 1989, Tony Barone led his squad up to Anchorage, AL and beat UConn and Jim Calhoun, 92-81,. UConn went 31-6 and finished #4 in the country.
Tony Barone wasn't the coach in 1989. It was Shelby Metcalf (at least for part of the year). He was fired later that season.

You're right. I read Shelby and typed Barone.
AggieTFA06
AG
Kennedy critic here.

I am pleasantly surprised. One of the most surprising opening wins I have seen.

Hope this doesn't become the basketball equivalent of us beating top 10 South Carolina in Columbia. Start off with a hot win and struggle in the end.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
skaggsjw
AG
I'm impressed. Our guard play was outstanding against a tough team that loves to pressure the ball. We would have lost by 20 last year. I'm very pleased. Don't forget about Flag. Played with a lot of poise.
Stone44
AG
If he hadn't emptied the bench, we would have won by 40.
Aston04
AG
wacarnolds said:

Pumpkinhead said:

In November 1989, Tony Barone Shelby Metcalf led his squad up to Anchorage, AL and beat UConn and Jim Calhoun, 92-81,. UConn went 31-6 and finished #4 in the country.

They were unranked at the time of the game, and in the moment this feels #1. But that is probably #1 in reality.
Sometimes teams take down high ranked squads and of course it's great... But also feels like an upset. I'm guessing that win felt that way given that team only went 16-14.

No, this win is more impressive because you can see the talent is here to be in contention for a top 3 seed at the dance. It looks like we finally have guard play to supplement arguably the best front line in the country. This year should be fun.

RC II
S
One would have to look a lot harder than I plan to do to find anything to gripe about last nights game. We were well coached, well prepared, played hard, played smothering defense, great rebounding, great free throw shooting etc. etc.! I plan to do nothing but savor this great win. Hope you do too.
aggiebacker81
AG
I just watched the replay of this game and am blown away by the basketball IQ I saw on the floor. I know the Jimmys's and Joe's make a difference in our ability to compete. However, I saw stuff on offense that I haven't seen during BK's tenure by anyone on a regular basis.

Diagonal passing to attack and beat the press and to create open shots within the offense. Gilder's pass to Hogg for the three pointer, near the end of tgame, where he led Hogg into the open spot with anticipation. Also, Hogg making bounce passes in to the low post to Davis on time. These are things we have not seen From a BK coached team in the past.

Speaking of Davis, every year his body is transformed from the end of the previous year. Hogg also looks completely different this year, including his confidence in his, that just never seemed to be there last year. Kudos to the strength and condoning team.

We are obviously more athletic than we have been in a long time. With the new fundamental principles they played with after they got the jitters out, this could be a really fun year. I am excited to see how far this team can go this year.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.