Starks>Wilson

3,424 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by B$Weigem
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not saying Wilson is a bad player, obviouly have not seen much of him. But, for some weird reason he reminds me of the last two transfer point guards.
Uncle Jimbo
They're both getting into the lane more, but yeah, I like Starks energy. I'll take the mistakes if it means we have a guy who actually makes things happen.
Jumbo Fister
AG
I'm curious to see the rotation once Caldwell comes back. Good problem to have though
RG20
I think you have to cut T Morelos minutes and go small, especially when we play more guard heavy teams.
USNAggie44
A lot of Hogg at the 4 I hope
Aggie09Derek
AG
USNAggie44 said:

A lot of Hogg at the 4 I hope
Tough since TTM and Rob Williams will primarily be playing the 4. But there will definitely be some times where Rob plays the 5 and Hogg/Flagg at the 4 and we go "small".
Serious Lee
wilson is a terror on defense though
jml2621
There's a lot of dumb on this thread...
TheChameleon
AG
Wilson is more talented than an Anthony Collins for example. Slightly bigger, more athletic, more dynamic offensively and defensively. Was much higher regarded recruit wise, went to Marquette, Collins went to South Florida. Collins actually had OK numbers but really tailed off as the season went on. I think Wilson will have a bigger impact overall
RG20
Oh, then please enlighten everyone Mr. John Wooden... If you are able to call others dumb, them show all of us you have something intelligent to contribute. Otherwise, stfu.
La Bamba
AG
Yes, that is correct. Starks is better than Wilson. But Starks had a few turnovers this game and he needs to clean that up. Really like Starks though.
MidTnAg
AG
Starks, Wilson, Caldwell

It is nice to have three quality guards over 6'.

It will be interesting to see how well they develop over the next few weeks. I strongly believe we will have strong, solid guard play by our first conference game Alabama (12/30).

Not sure who will be the best of the three, but all three have enough talent to contribute significantly to our run at the SEC Championship this season.

Wilson's experience and talent should help the freshmen guards.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
Torcha is now at least 30 years old and still gets stuffed repeatedly
Nino Brown
Starks looks like he's gonna be a nice spark off the bench
CactusThomas
AG
WVU press was worthless because TJ can just dribble past their best defenders.

I do think Wilson is nice as well.
GE
AG
Both are better than anything we have had at the 1 in BKs tenure outside of Caruso. I realize that includes Dash and stand by the statement
PatAg
AG
Yea Wilson looked a lot more effective in the 2ns half as well. This guard play last year and we would have been dancing
zooguy96
This is the best guard talent we've had IMHO since Kirk, Acie, and Sloan. Let's see if they can be as good.

This team would rival that Sweet 16 group in terms of raw talent. But, obviously, coaching was better back then.
Aston04
AG
GE said:

Both are better than anything we have had at the 1 in BKs tenure outside of Caruso. I realize that includes Dash and stand by the statement
not saying much- dash was a terrible major conference pg.
GE
AG
Aston04 said:

GE said:

not saying much- dash was a terrible major conference pg.
Understand your Dash comment but he was the second best PG we have had since Sloan. Until this year where there are three on the roster better than him
TyHolden
AG
One game in weird conditions. Relax. Long season.
JMJLAW
AG
Starks reminds me a great deal of Donald Sloan at the beginning of his career.
Beat40
I think all three will get some playing time. One of then is going to be able to relive Gilder for a couple of minutes along with Chandler.

I love the depth this year because we should be able to have Hogg and Gilder with fresh legs at the end of games. Huge.

Also like that we can give Davis a breather by playing small if we want without too much drop off.

This team has good depth so far. Let's hope we can keep the injury fairy away.
boboguitar
AG
JMJLAW said:

What did you think of friday's game?
Confucius
JMJLAW said:

Yes, but 5 bad minutes is all it takes to flip on that opinion, amirite?
West Point Aggie
AG
boboguitar said:

JMJLAW said:

What did you think of friday's game?

The first 5-10 minutes were LMAO worthy from the looks of it!
bingram1230
AG
I like both of them a lot for different reasons, and until Caldwell comes back I say that Wilson should stay starting to provide leadership and a calm presence. There is nothing wrong with having Starks as a great spark off the bench, and overall they will both play a lot.
GE
AG
bingram1230 said:

I like both of them a lot for different reasons, and until Caldwell comes back I say that Wilson should stay starting to provide leadership and a calm presence. There is nothing wrong with having Starks as a great spark off the bench, and overall they will both play a lot.
Whichever one starts, there are enough minutes to go around with Caldwell out that they should both get a ton of playing time. I wouldn't mind seeing Wilson start and then Starks is the first guy off the bench for either of Wilson or Gilder.
rlb28
AG
Caldwell does not score. Starks and Wilson will provide scoring off bench. From what it looks starks moreso than wilson.
mpl35
AG
rlb28 said:

Caldwell does not score much. Starks and Wilson will provide scoring off bench. From what it looks starks moreso than wilson.
FIFY. And I agree. With Gilder, Hogg, Davis, and Williams...caldwell needs to distribute. If we put in some of the others, having scoring at the PG will be a nice balance.
B$Weigem
AG
It is early and we all witnessed the travesty which was the first 10 minutes of that game, which were played mostly on pure nerves and young inexperienced players. So it is a little too early to start railing on these guys, but where I do tend to agree is when a player like Trocha who has been playing for a few years is still incredibly weak in the paint and gets blocked, it raises some speculation and discussion. Lets hope Tony can get it worked out as the season progresses.

Now in regards to the Starks vs Wilson debate, I will gladly take a guard (Starks) that attacks the rim at 100 mph and commits a few turnovers trying to make a play, over an experienced guard who plays more on the passive end and just flat out gifts the ball to the other team. I get that Wilson isn't exactly a true PG, but that is even more of a reason Starks should lead this team at the 1 spot moving forward until Caldwell becomes Eligible. Again, it is early in the season but after a few scrimmages and a game down, it is a simple observation any spectator can point out.
rlb28
AG

Quote:

Now in regards to the Starks vs Wilson debate, I will gladly take a guard (Starks) that attacks the rim at 100 mph and commits a few turnovers trying to make a play, over an experienced guard who plays more on the passive end and just flat out gifts the ball to the other team. I get that Wilson isn't exactly a true PG, but that is even more of a reason Starks should lead this team at the 1 spot moving forward until Caldwell becomes Eligible. Again, it is early in the season but after a few scrimmages and a game down, it is a simple observation any spectator can point out.
I agree. Somewhat troubling though is that neither Starks nor Wilson is a true backup PG. Amazing that A&M doesn't have a true backup. What if Caldwell was suspended the whole year? I love Starks and his tenacity.
CactusThomas
AG
This team will never have a TexAgs true point guard.
B$Weigem
AG
Yes, it would be hard to imagine what would happen if Caldwell gets hurt or just isn't as advertised, but basketball is a sport that sometimes all you really need is a guard that can beat his man off the dribble, attack the rim and really and truly, just put the ball up at the rim. The worst that can happen is that it either goes in, we get a rebound, he forces a foul, or you know, the occasional miss. If that is the case, I feel confident Starks can do such a thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.