What's y'all's read on Tarleton?

10,535 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Huggins ain't letting his team forget last year. Carter is maybe the best defensive guard in college.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Double Diamond said:

Konta has off the charts rim guarding ability. The leap he makes this year will be a lot. Plays so far above the rim 6/8 isn't an issue.
Maybe so, but the discussion here is whether WVU has a better frontcourt than A&M with Robert Williams now out.

A&M still has Davis and last January 28th when A&M played WVU in Morgantown, Davis had a 19 points, 18 rebounds, 4 blocks versus the Mountaineers in 36 minutes. He really abused the WVU frontcourt at times.

Konate whom you seem really high in that game in January played 15 minutes and had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block. Maybe like you say he has a future NBA career ahead of him, but as of right now, it is tough for me to jump on that bandwagon.

A&M took a major hit with now Williams, but just comparing the rosters it still seems like Tyler Davis will probably be the best PF/C on the court next Friday versus WVU. We'll see. I'm still more worried about WVU's guards and wings than I am their bigs.
Double Diamond
I'm telling you that WVU has an NBA rim protector on their roster. Konta will get drafted. Davis is a good college player. But just an valuation standpoint Davis doesn't guard the rim, ok rebounder. Plays below the rim. Davis is really skilled at scoring. But this isn't the 90s. Either have to shoot or guard the rim and rebound. Huggins is one of the all time greats and developing bigs. I suspect Konta will be scoring this year.
Double Diamond
The Willians lose is massive. But I still think WVU has the system, the coach and the guards to offset even Williams playing WVU is very seasoned at key spots. Lot of trips into Kansas and Tourneys to toughen them up. I hated seeing this game when it came out.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Double Diamond said:

I hated seeing this game when it came out.

Why would you hate seeing us play good teams? We got a very difficult non-con schedule with games @Kansas, vs. Arizona, @USC too. Hopefully we win at least one of these tough games.

GE
AG
Ben Lovers him some Huggy
Jumbo Fister
AG
Oh **** that's Ben diamond? Completely forgot about that dude
jml2621
WV was 3rd in steals and 13th in block% last year. 4th in expected Defensive Efficiency..

We could get raped.

jml2621
Double Diamond said:

Konta has off the charts rim guarding ability. The leap he makes this year will be a lot. Plays so far above the rim 6/8 isn't an issue.

You mean Sagaba Konate from Mail?

Over 5 blocks/40 min. Had light minutes last year. He had 4 blocks in 15 min against Albany in their exhibition game. Didn't rebound well and fouled out. Shot 1-6. Seems like a raw player, and potential liability. Long arms, pogo stick-like though.
GE
AG
Why I feel pretty good about the WVU game:

Last year's game:
  • Chris Collins played 23 minutes
  • Chase Carlton played 12 minutes
  • Gilder had to play 40 minutes
  • Hogg didn't play at all (or any other small forward)
  • It was at WVU
  • They won by 4

Differences from last year:
  • WVU lost players that represented 76 of the 200 minutes they played against us
  • Wilson and Starks >>>>>>> Collins and Carlton
  • Gilder playing less than 40 minutes >>>> Gilder playing 40 minutes
  • Hogg and Flagg at the 3 >>>>>> Trocha at the 3
  • Neutral site instead of away.

The only difference that isn't in our favor is Williams being suspended and he had a bad game last year. He was 3 for 12 and if I remember correctly that was the game where he kept bricking easy layups and didn't finish several alley oops.

A&M by 8. Would be 15 if JJ and Williams were available.
mdanyc03
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Now we're gonna lose to fkn Tarleton aren't we? I'm never gonna live this down.
Get help.
CactusThomas
AG
Double Diamond said:

I'm telling you that WVU has an NBA rim protector on their roster. Konta will get drafted. Davis is a good college player. But just an valuation standpoint Davis doesn't guard the rim, ok rebounder. Plays below the rim. Davis is really skilled at scoring. But this isn't the 90s. Either have to shoot or guard the rim and rebound. Huggins is one of the all time greats and developing bigs. I suspect Konta will be scoring this year.
Your boy, "Konta", finished with 4 points. Four. To be fair he did lead his team with 6 rebounds.

Tyler "Below the Rim" Davis Finished 10/12 for 23 points and 13 boards.

Your boy Huggins, "one of the all time greats", looked more like Johnny Bush out there - One Fool on a Stool.

Edited for the SJW/BLM crowd
aginlakeway
AG
Double Diamond said:

Huggins ain't letting his team forget last year. Carter is maybe the best defensive guard in college.
aginlakeway
AG
jml2621 said:

WV was 3rd in steals and 13th in block% last year. 4th in expected Defensive Efficiency..

We could get raped.

CactusThomas
AG
GE said:

Why I feel pretty good about the WVU game....

Called it.
Serious Lee
A&Ms top 3 F/C: 45 Pts 27 Reb 7 Ast 3 Stl 3 Blk

WVUs top 3 F/C:24 Pts 14 Reb 5 Ast 2 Stl 4 Blk

pretty much played out just like it was on paper, but that African sure can jump huh
CactusThomas
AG
Double Diamond said:

What pieces does A&M have better than WVU? WVU is better in all spots. Can happen, but confident is blind homerism. If A&M falls, its early. Team is young. Early correct. Young. Isn't an excuse.

I guess now that the game is over we can answer this question a little more accurately.

A&M has better:
Front court
Back court
Wings
Depth
Freshman
Upperclassmen
Rebounding
3pt shooting
Defense
Offense
Coaching
expresswrittenconsent
CactusThomas said:

Double Diamond said:

Your boy, Kunta Kinte, finished with 4 points. Four. To be fair he did lead his team with 6 rebounds.

Tyler "Below the Rim" Davis Finished 10/12 for 23 points and 13 boards.

Your boy Huggins, "one of the all time greats", looked more like Johnny Bush out there - One Fool on a Stool.

CactusThomas -
What a great win yesterday. I can see why you would want to trash on Ben Diamond for doubting BK's ability to win the WV game last week. But I am curious why in the process of burning Lover/Diamond you would chose to refer to a West Virginia student athlete as an african slave from the book/mini-series Roots?

Why go there? Why insult Sagaba Konate by referring to him as
"Your boy, Kunta Kinte"?
CactusThomas
AG
It was not meant to be an insult to the player. It was obviously meant to insult diamond who kept hyping the guy up while butchering the spelling of his name at the same time.
expresswrittenconsent
So you intended it to be an insult to Ben Diamond but didnt think it would be insulting/offensive to refer to a player on the other team as a slave? How exactly does it make fun of Ben Lover spelling the name wrong when you didnt spell the name wrong, you correctly spelled the name of the slave you compared the WVU player to.
Try harder next time maybe. You can clown on the moron Ben Diamond without making borderline racist posts.
CactusThomas
AG
I don't see how my post can possibly be seen as racist but if that's how you see it then I will edit it.
CactusThomas
AG
Are you an Mdancy sock?
jml2621
aginlakeway said:

jml2621 said:

We could get raped.

OK, football guy. I also said the below. No doubt, over the first 10 minutes they tried to rape us. I think a turning point was Tyler Davis responding to that punk elbow. We're not going to take this ****. Hogg was MUCH BETTER than last year as well. Who could have predicted that? If you followed the Tarleton State thread, you'll see who impressive Starks was, even Flagg, Wilson for an exhibition with 4 starters out.

We used Tyler and Hogg as targets over the press, and Starks, Wilson responded after the first 10 min. Gilder was great.

Off to a great start. Enjoy the season.

jml2621
In reply to GE 10:48p, 11/3/17
L

Quote:

GE said:
I'm still relatively confident about West Virginia
I have NO IDEA how the young bucks will respond against the press.

Pumpkin is right that RW would have been an invaluable weapon against the press...
CactusThomas
AG
We were already winning by the time Davis got elbowed.
jml2621
CactusThomas said:

We were already winning by the time Davis got elbowed.

We had made a defensive run, up by 1...but WVU was trampled underfoot for the rest of the game. Tired and intimidated.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.