Updated Roster

4,100 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Serious Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did i miss the discussion or are we too preoccupied with sumlins' demise to break down the latest measurables of our hoopsters?

http://12thman.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

3 things stood out to me:

1. Cory Jefferson at baylor (from 5-7 years ago) was the skinniest player i ever saw and he was around 6-9 180. john walker is listed at 6-9 170.

2. is rob williams really 6'10, or is he getting the gratuitous inch or two added for length?

3. Tyler has looked noticeably thinner each year to the point where hes now almost a TTM clone, yet apparently never loses any weight.
Hop
Staff
AG
Rob has grown since he's been at A&M. Not sure he's 6-10, but he's close. What surprised me was Jasey listed at 6-10. I think that may be a little too aggressive.
StanGundy
Maybe it's just the angle but Darby's twitter header shows Jasey to be taller than Williams.
jelloshot
There have been a few pics of Jasey next to the other bigs. He's definitely a little taller than Rob, even when he first signed in HS. He and Davis and Rob all look to be very similar in height. Tonny seems to be a little taller. He was measured at 6'8" barefoot over 2 years ago. Bball players typically tack on an inch or 2, anyway. The listing looks appropriate to me. At 248, I'd assume he's already physically ready to go up against other college bigs.

He might get crowded out of the rotation, but 4 contributors at 6'10" at the post positions is going to be hell for other teams to rebound against.
Pumpkinhead
AG
That is super looking roster. Next step...get wins.
jml2621

Mark French isn't a millimeter over 5 ft 6.5 in.
jml2621

Damn - I almost forgot...can't check measurements because DraftExpress is now frozen in time, with Givony and co. behind the ESPN paywall.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

3. Tyler has looked noticeably thinner each year to the point where hes now almost a TTM clone, yet apparently never loses any weight.

He had some chub on him back in high school and coming into A&M. He's healthier and leaner.
bobinator
AG
I don't think he's lost much weight, he's just redistributed it. He's thinner around the midsection, but I'd bet his arms and legs are bigger as he's added muscle.

I can't wait to see what he looks like this year, I already thought he was one of our all-time greats but he looked a whole level better in that FIBA tournament.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I don't think he's lost much weight, he's just redistributed it. He's thinner around the midsection, but I'd bet his arms and legs are bigger as he's added muscle.

I can't wait to see what he looks like this year, I already thought he was one of our all-time greats but he looked a whole level better in that FIBA tournament.
In that interview about a month back with some dorky guy, Davis was asked what he weighed and he said 260 lbs. Then said that he was hoping to get down to about 250 lbs by the start of the season as long as he wasn't losing any strength. So that seems to be where he is at right now...somewhere around 260 +/- 5 lbs.
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

I noticed that he was a lot more athletic and ran the floor a lot better.

I'm guessing he's getting ready to be able to play more minutes if needed. I like his work ethic and his commitment to making sure he's making his body ready for the season. I'm hoping that it's rubbing off on all of his teammates which is a really good thing especially when you add that Admon loves to be in the gym as well.
LawHall88
AG
FWIW:

Lots of non-believers out there.
Pumpkinhead
AG
LawHall88 said:

FWIW:

Not a single school in the state of Texas in their pre-season Top-25 list.
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

Not a single school in the sate of Texas in their pre-season Top-25 list.
We're too busy kicking ass in football to worry about roundball
bobinator
AG
Preseason top 25s in hoops are somehow even more worthless than they are in football. Everyone just ranks coaches they like or teams that are usually good.

Our roster is a lot better than a lot of those teams but people don't believe in Billy Kennedy like they do Buzz Williams.
jml2621
bobinator said:

Tyler is definitely more toned and athletic. All of a sudden he's an above the rim guy, so his power in the legs is up along with reduced mass.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

LawHall88 said:

FWIW:

Not a single school in the state of Texas in their pre-season Top-25 list.

Seems legit. smh Do they even realize Bagley has declared?

Anybody seen Street & Smith's predictions?

Even BleacherReport has A&M as 16th. Somehow, that's about right.

GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

Preseason top 25s in hoops are somehow even more worthless than they are in football. Everyone just ranks coaches they like or teams that are usually good.

Our roster is a lot better than a lot of those teams but people don't believe in Billy Kennedy like they do Buzz Williams.
You might have missed this little nugget:

ESiPN really??

Quote:

The following five teams each missed the NCAA tournament last season. There's a chance, however slim, that all five could hear their names called on Selection Sunday. To me, that qualifies as dramatic improvement.

Allow me to introduce you to the Turnaround Five:

1. Missouri Tigers

Quite understandably, few paid much attention to this team last season. Since then, Missouri has hired a new coach in Cuonzo Martin and signed potentially the No. 1 pick in the 2018 draft in the person of Michael Porter Jr. So yes, Mizzou is a pretty easy pick for inclusion on this list.
If Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz have taught us just one hard-earned predictive lesson, it's that any college success recorded by a one-and-done star's team heavily depends on said star's teammates. So the added good news for fans in Columbia is that this roster has a slightly above-average percentage of its possession minutes returning from last season (in the form of Terrence Phillips, Kevin Puryear, Jordan Barnett and Jordan Geist). Throw in the aforementioned freshman star's younger brother, Jontay Porter (who reclassified to join this recruiting class), fellow freshman Jeremiah Tilmon and Canisius graduate transfer Kassius Robertson and it's clear that Martin will have sufficient bodies on hand to execute the widely anticipated program U-turn.

Just how dramatic will the turnaround be? This team will make a fair number of preseason top-25 lists, due in equal measures to merit and the fact that it's fun to write about a team with a potential No. 1 pick that just went 2-16 in SEC play. (Guilty.) So let's be clear: A turnaround would still be unmistakable, even if it parked the Tigers outside the top 25 yet put them in bubble contention with a conference record at .500 or slightly above. That seems about right as a baseline for this group.

2. TCU Horned Frogs
My pick here comes with an asterisk. Statistically speaking, TCU this season might not be truly day-and-night better than the very good Horned Frogs of 2016-17. Nevertheless, if Jamie Dixon's men do indeed end the season as, say, a shoo-in for the middle of the NCAA tournament bracket, that's dramatically and qualitatively different than going to (and yes, winning) the NIT.

This kind of shoo-in status appears to be the most likely scenario for a group that returns all five starters from its lineup in the NIT title game. In Big 12 play last season, TCU actually outscored its opponents on "effective" (turnover-less) possessions. The problem, from the Frogs' perspective, was that there were too few such trips. Conference opponents never gave the ball away, and the sheer volume of shots they recorded took its cumulative toll on Dixon's defense. A normal number of takeaways this season could help propel Vladimir Brodziansky, Alex Robinson, Jaylen Fisher, Kenrich Williams & Co. to the program's first NCAA bid since 1998.

3. San Diego State Aztecs
After posting a 46-8 record in Mountain West play over the previous three seasons, SDSU went just 9-9 in conference in 2016-17. That alone suggests this team is due for a rebound.
Maybe Steve Fisher sensed the same thing and consciously positioned his successor for success. In any case, new head coach Brian Dutcher is entering Year 1 with three returning starters on hand. If nothing else, Dutcher's front line will be formidable. Assuming Malik Pope can return from a high ankle sprain suffered in the offseason, he'll be joined down low by Kameron Rooks. A graduate transfer from Cal, Rooks recorded nine rebounds and four blocks in just 16 minutes against SDSU in November. The Aztecs staff apparently made a note of that performance.

4. Auburn Tigers
Bruce Pearl started four freshmen last season, and that youthful group still managed to score 1.07 points per trip in SEC play. Mustapha Heron, Danjel Purifoy, Jared Harper and Austin Wiley are all back, and better still, they're all sophomores. For good measure, fifth starter Bryce Brown, now a junior, also has returned.

True, this same bunch of youngsters also allowed conference opponents to score a whopping 1.13 points per possession in conference play last season. I'm not nominating Auburn as the next South Carolina on defense, but assuming Pearl's guys can merely make progress on that side of the ball, the Tigers should be able to outscore a fair share of their opponents in 2017-18. Even as a bunch of freshmen, Pearl's guys were already able to hit 3s and take decent care of the ball while playing at a (very) fast pace. That could spell good things to come for Auburn, if replacement-level defense does indeed materialize.

5. Texas Longhorns
I've already showered praise on Texas for potentially having one of the best defenses in the country this coming season. With freshman Mo Bamba defending the rim and the rest of the Longhorns pressuring the ball and on occasion forcing turnovers, Shaka Smart's men project to make things exceedingly difficult for opposing offenses.

Speaking of offense, UT wasn't very good at scoring last season, despite (and this is quite strange) ranking as the best 2-point shooting team in Big 12 play. Fewer turnovers will enable Andrew Jones, Kerwin Roach and Eric Davis to finally reap the rewards of all those makes inside the arc. Improvement will be the watchword on both sides of the ball in Austin this season.
This whole article should come with an asterisk, please read after consuming lots of alcohol.

I think maybe one of those teams make it to the NCAAT.

Yeah preseason articles suck.

Edit to add that if I were currently an A&M player, I'd make a few copies of this and tape it next to my locker, in my car, in the bathroom and at the gym.
bobinator
AG
"Turnaround Five" is a pretty dumb name for that group of teams.

- TCU is basically going to be slightly better than last year which should probably be good enough to get them in the field. But that's hardly a turnaround since they were better last year than the year before. They're on more of a steady incline than a turnaround.

- Mizzou is less of a turnaround than an overhaul. More like they got into a way better car and let someone else drive. I also don't think Missouri is making the NCAA's, but we'll see.

- I guess San Diego is a turnaround team?

- Auburn sucked last year and they'll suck slightly less this year, and for it to be a "turnaround" shouldn't you have been pretty good in the first place? This isn't really a turnaround, more like Auburn's been driving in the wilderness for years and they aren't sure where they are. If Auburn makes the NCAA's I'll be absolutely shocked.

And finally the one team that this kind of fits is, amazingly enough, Texas. They made the field in 2016, sucked last year, and they'll probably be decent this year. I have no problem with them being on here. I could see them having a "bounceback" year after last year, kind of in the same boat that we are although I think we're going to be a lot better than them. Their roster last year was awful.
Serious Lee
heard texas looked awful a couple weeks ago on their tour in australia. theyre apparently still lost on offense
LawHall88
AG
jml2621
LawHall88 said:

4 Legit 6 ft 10 in guys.
phorizt
Nebo looks bigger than expected. He was lested at 6'7" in hs, 6'8" on the St Fran roster and 6'9" on the A&m roster so i kinda expected him to be on the shorter end of that range but he's right up there with the other guys.
Pumpkinhead
AG
#44, #34, #10, #15 - 'Arguably the best front court in college basketball'

Too bad #32 has to sit out a year. Heard he is pretty good too. But he'll come in handy next season.
Pumpkinhead
AG
phorizt said:

Nebo looks bigger than expected. He was lested at 6'7" in hs, 6'8" on the St Fran roster and 6'9" on the A&m roster so i kinda expected him to be on the shorter end of that range but he's right up there with the other guys.
Roughly from that photo, 6'9" plus some change seems a fair guess for Nebo.

And he is athletic too. Apparently word has been Nebo has been even better than staff expected since showing up in College Station. They seem pretty high on him.

CactusThomas
AG
Just three weeks until maroon madness
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

phorizt said:

Roughly from that photo, 6'9" plus some change seems a fair guess for Nebo.

And he is athletic too. Apparently word has been Nebo has been even better than staff expected since showing up in College Station. They seem pretty high on him.

OK, I wasn't expecting THAT. Very athletic - lotta bounce. Too bad Josh has to sit out a year, but will be a significant player next year.

Listed as 6 ft 9 in, 242. RW and Josh will really benefit from playing in practice against each other.

jml2621
CactusThomas said:

Just three weeks until maroon madness

Oh, ***** I'll be away on business...

Reports on JJ Caldwell expected. I assume he can play in Maroon Madness, but not the exhibition or first 4 reg. season games.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.