Davis, Trocha-Morelos to Play in FIBA Americup

4,985 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bobinator
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

MEDELLN, Colombia A pair of Aggies will spend some time before the start of the fall semester competing against high-level international competition during the 2017 FIBA Americup, which will begin Aug. 25 and take place in various South America locations.

Tonny Trocha-Morelos, a native of Cartagena, Colombia, will return to his native country to join Team Colombia, while teammate Tyler Davis, who is of Puerto Rico decent, will suit up for Team Puerto Rico.

Both Colombia and Puerto Rico will compete in Group A, which will be held in Medelln, Colombia, during the initial stage of the tournament. Davis and Trocha-Morelos will square off head-to-head on Saturday, Aug. 26, when the two teams face off.

http://12thman.com/news/2017/8/22/mens-basketball-davis-trocha-morelos-to-play-in-fiba-americup.aspx
bobinator
AG
Medellin looks like an absolutely beautiful place (especially since it's supposedly reasonably safe to travel there now.)

A quick note, this isn't like a "U-21" tournament or anything, these are older players for the most part. Davis is, by quite a bit, the youngest player on the Puerto Rico roster. Their roster includes Angel Rodriguez who played at Miami a few years back and Michael Rosario who played at Florida.

The U.S. team is sort of a hodge podge of guys who were decent in college like Jonathan Holmes and Larry Drew.

Hop, TexAgs should spring the 10 bucks to watch the games this weekend and post some highlights.
Pumpkinhead
AG
MarcAg said:

Which one blows out a knee and misses the season? Not saying they shouldn't play because it could happen just as easy playing in CS. But which one does it? This program has bad luck. I'm going with Tyler.
Did somebody wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Didn't have your coffee yet when you typed this?
Pumpkinhead
AG
As you know, these guys are playing 5 on 5 basketball several times a week year round. If not this FIBA thing, they would be in open gym runs this week in C.S. or Dallas, Houston, etc.

At least in something like this, it is in a real-game atmosphere playing with guys who mostly are on pro teams somewhere including some who have NBA experience on their resume. If you are going to be running and jumping around, might as well be in games with refs vs. decent competition.
bobinator
AG
Dude, get out of here with that trash.
MarcAg
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

As you know, these guys are playing 5 on 5 basketball several times a week year round. If not this FIBA thing, they would be in open gym runs this week in C.S. or Dallas, Houston, etc.

At least in something like this, it is in a real-game atmosphere playing with guys who mostly are on pro teams somewhere including some who have NBA experience on their resume. If you are going to be running and jumping around, might as well be in games with refs vs. decent competition.
As I said I am not against them playing as it could just as easily happen here.
tysker
AG
The only way to be absolutely sure is for both players to sit until March. They can play when the NCAAs are here. For that matter, might was well rest RW, DJ and Admon as well.
MarcAg
AG

Lighten up. I was half kidding as its always something with this program these days; coach develops an illness, player doesn't get cleared by NCAA for a couple of years, House goes down with injury, home schooling is frowned upon, off the court issues, Hogg injured, etc, etc. I just expect something to go wrong. So by putting it out there I am attempting to reverse the jinx.
bobinator
AG
This is the year all the stars align. It's the post-eclipse era!
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

This is the year all the stars align. It's the post-eclipse era!

No more frickin' eclipse talk from you. Pace yourself for 2024.
bobinator
AG
Psh, 2024 will be a cakewalk, Kerrville, Texas is in the path of totality, I won't even have to get a hotel!
Pumpkinhead
AG
MarcAg said:

Lighten up. I was half kidding as its always something with this program these days; coach develops an illness, player doesn't get cleared by NCAA for a couple of years, House goes down with injury, home schooling is frowned upon, off the court issues, Hogg injured, etc, etc. I just expect something to go wrong. So by putting it out there I am attempting to reverse the jinx.
Marc, have you ever posted on the baseball board? I was chuckling to myself with this, because while aggie football and basketball are both passions for me, I am a much more casual Aggie baseball fan who just intermittently checks in and out. And this exchange with you reminded me of something.

A couple years ago, I got indoctrinated quite fast on how incredibly SUPERSTITIOUS baseball fans are, when I made the stupid mistake of commenting on how our pitcher was still pitching a no hitter like 6-7 innings into a game thread. Didn't know at the time that the first rule of a no hitter was never mention the no hitter. And seemingly many other jinx avoidance rules.

Of course by sheer bad luck (in my opinion just bad coincidence, nothing to do with my post on a TexAgs thread) the opponent got a hit off our guy the very next at bat. There were some subtle death threats thrown my way and I had to go into witness protection for awhile.

Anyways, not sure you've gone over there much, but whatever you do, be very careful ever getting into the 'jinx' game with baseball fans. Unlike football and basketball, karma is really serious business and believed to play a critical role in that sport!

Method Man
Watch yourself and how you talk to Aggie bball royalty.
bobinator
AG
Royalty should know better than to bring that bad juju in here
CactusThomas
AG
Please delete thread and start over
pirmag
AG
Watch out for sea urchins and never mention a no-hitter!
mdanyc03
AG
MarcAg said:

And remember that time that House was granted a waiver and was eligible immediately for no real good reason and when we recruited some kid from NW Louisiana that nobody had heard of and he ended up being a lottery pick and then that guy defied all expectations by forgoing millions of dollars to come back for his sophomore year.
Pumpkinhead
AG
mdanyc03 said:

MarcAg said:

And remember that time that House was granted a waiver and was eligible immediately for no real good reason and when we recruited some kid from NW Louisiana that nobody had heard of and he ended up being a lottery pick and then that guy defied all expectations by forgoing millions of dollars to come back for his sophomore year.
'Bad luck' basketball programs typically get projected NBA Lottery Picks to come back for another season.

You forgot the time when the NCAA decided to suspend Jalen Jones for 4 games in the summer of 2014 but let Texas A&M defer the suspensions until the 2015-2016 season, giving Aggies the opportunity to schedule 14 games versus cupcakes for the first week of that season to rapidly eat up the suspension. That was one of my favorite 'wtf??? but hey I won't complain!' moments with an A&M related NCAA ruling.

Then, of course, in February of 2016...there was a certain home game vs Kentucky where in the final seconds an Aggie player made pretty dumb move into the paint and got blocked...but then the Kentucky kid who blocked him had a miracle brain fart moment and bounced the ball real hard off the floor instead of handing it to the referee...and got T'd up. A few weeks later...SEC Co-Champs Baby!

We have certainly had more than our fair share of misfortune to eat as Aggie sports fans, but every once in a while we catch a break!

Method Man
bobinator said:

Royalty should know better than to bring that bad juju in here

Fair enough: I hate that term tho.
Pumpkinhead
AG
http://www.fiba.basketball/americup/2017

The Fighting Tyler Davisesses (also known as Puerto Rico) play Mexico today in a few hours. That game is then followed by the Tonny T Times (also know as Colombia) vs. Brazil. Both games in Medellin. We'll see if Tyler and/or Tonny see some action this evening.

bobinator
AG
If I'm reading it right I think these games are actually going to be on WatchESPN

Update: Yeah, these games are available on WatchESPN. Great news, hope TD gets to play quite a bit I'd love to see how different his game looks now that he's even lighter.
bobinator
AG
Puerto Rico only has three players on the roster over 6-8 and they play games on back-to-back-to-back days so you'd think Davis would get on the court at least a little bit.

Mexico has a couple of names that might be familiar. Lorenzo Mata (UCLA) and Jorge Gutierrez (Cal)
Pumpkinhead
AG
Mexico leading Puerto Rico 36-31 at halftime.

Tyler Davis played for 6:38 in the first half. In that time, he pulled down 4 rebounds and scored 6 points going 3/3 from the field (all shots were dunks). Went 0/2 from the FT line.

Davis had the highest +/- and efficiency rating of any Puerto Rican player in the first half. Play him more!

Live Stats:
http://www.fiba.basketball/ls/#8115&13283-A-1
Ragoo
AG
Davis looks so thin. How is he going to bang in the post?
bobinator
AG
Looks like he's doing a good job of it. He's got 11 and 8.
bobinator
AG
He's probably been Puerto Rico's best player, him or Diaz.
bobinator
AG
The officiating in this game is hilarious
wacarnolds
AG
Why the hell ain't he in?
bobinator
AG
PUT HIM IN BK
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Why the hell ain't he in?
Definitely blaming Billy Kennedy for Puerto Rico's mismanagement of the rotation in this game.
GE
AG
From the stat line it appears Davis was the best player tonight for PR
bobinator
AG
Problem is he plays the same position at Puerto Rico's other best player.

But Puerto Rico's coach just got run, not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing with this absurd officiating
bobinator
AG
This is hilarious
Pumpkinhead
AG
Logan said on the Radio that playing for Puerto Rico was not something Tyler Davis was considering, but the PR national team really worked hard on recruiting him.
bobinator
AG
I like it, gets him some experience against older players and he was probably never playing for the US National team anyway. I wonder if he even knows any spanish or if Rosario or someone is translating.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.