ESPN updated their 2018 basketball recruiting rankings today

3,950 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GE
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some ESPN-100 Players of Interest

PG Quentin Grimes (#28) - Seems like he dropped a few spots

SF Matthew Mayer (#58) - Baylor commit, but still a little curious how a kid with two Aggie parents ended up in Waco. Whether we backed off or what the deal was there.

PF Jaedon LeDee (#59) - Seems like went up a few spots. Houston kid that CR lately has been trending picks towards A&M.

PF Darius Days (#79) - Maybe in the mix for this guy, but see LeDee.

ESPN State of Texas Rankings

1) Quentin Grimes (#28 nationally)
2) Gerald Liddell (#30 nationally) - Committed to Texas
3) Matthew Mayer (#58 nationally) - Committed to Baylor
4) Jaedon LeDee (#59 nationally)
5) Jacobi Gordon (#69 nationally) - Committed to Cal Bears.

10) Souleymane Doumbia
15) Miller Kopp
Hop
Staff
AG
If that's their latest list, I'm not a big fan. Miller Kopp #15 in the state?
LonghornsNo1
Hop said:

Thinking the same thing. Has anyone else noticed their hoops rankings being more than a bit "off" since Reggie Rankin left for the Warriors? Obviously all rankings subjective but some of their stuff seems out of left field...
LawHall88
AG
On an unrelated note, ESPN posted its first NBA 2018 mock draft - Williams at #5, Hogg at the end of the second round.
Serious Lee
ive never thought much of espns recruiting ranking in either sport. have heard they just do it to keep up with appearances but put the least amount of work in. reminds me of their ridiculous attempt at covering college baseball.
Ags #1
AG
Never underestimate the power of scott drew ad a recruiter
monarch
S
I don't think much of ESiPN, even though I own stock in Disney
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

Meanwhile Scout has LeDee ranked #164 nationally. By far the lowest of any other recruiting service. Does that ranking seem fair?
jml2621
LawHall88 said:

On an unrelated note, ESPN posted its first NBA 2018 mock draft - Williams at #5, Hogg at the end of the second round.

&^%$#@&^! DraftExpress has been swallowed by ESPN and is now behind a paywall. Givony and Schmitz have moved over - so ESPN's Insider content got a real boost.

Really hate EsipN. UNC grad and CEO John Skipper has been covering up UNC's Athletic Academic scandal when he can. They've gone pretty PC Corporatist as well.

jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

Meanwhile Scout has LeDee ranked #164 nationally. By far the lowest of any other recruiting service. Does that ranking seem fair?

That reminds me. CBS bought Scout and are likely merging with 247. 247 has decent content, but Scout had great insight into basketball recruiting.

Corporatists!! DX and Scout going down - it is an end of an era. smdh
Hickory High
AG
National basketball recruiting rankings are even dumber/more difficult to do than national football recruiting rankings. I guess some people find them fun to discuss, but they're essentially meaningless.

And yeah, Miller Kopp being that high is, uh, a bit much. Glad to see the kind of quality being built at the Houston Christian program, though.
GE
AG
Hickory High said:

National basketball recruiting rankings are even dumber/more difficult to do than national football recruiting rankings. I guess some people find them fun to discuss, but they're essentially meaningless.

And yeah, Miller Kopp being that high is, uh, a bit much. Glad to see the kind of quality being built at the Houston Christian program, though.
If you were to map out ranking vs college success there would be a pretty strong correlation.
Hickory High
AG
GE said:

Hickory High said:

If you were to map out ranking vs college success there would be a pretty strong correlation.
Maybe so, I just don't feel like there is. If you've ever seen At All Costs on Netflix, though, then you know how unscientific and limited the national rankings are.
GE
AG
Hickory High said:

GE said:

Hickory High said:

Maybe so, I just don't feel like there is. If you've ever seen At All Costs on Netflix, though, then you know how unscientific and limited the national rankings are.
I've been interested in the actual numbers on this so between now and the start of the season I'll put something together to see just how strongly correlated they are.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.