Twitter - Who To Follow for Aggie News, etc.

2,634 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by President Trump
tehmackdaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm new to Twitter. Who are good people to follow for Aggie BB related updates?

Thanks!
bobinator
AG
Official account

Local Journalists:
Brent Zwerneman
The Eagle's (if you follow the "Aggie_Sports" account you'll catch all their news, you don't really need to follow each person individually, but if you'd like to the only one that really tweets consistently is Travis Brown.)

(Since you've made it here I'm assuming you're following TexAgs' accounts)

National guys:
Jon Rothstein: Absolute grind of a follow because of all of his stupid catchphrases, but he gets information out quickly and talks about us quite a bit.
Andy Katz: (assuming he finds a job)

I'm sure there are some other national folks but I keep forgetting who works where now since Fox and ESPN laid off like 90% of the college basketball writers.

Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Official account

Local Journalists:
Brent Zwerneman
The Eagle's (if you follow the "Aggie_Sports" account you'll catch all their news, you don't really need to follow each person individually, but if you'd like to the only one that really tweets consistently is Travis Brown.)

National guys:
Jon Rothstein: Absolute grind of a follow because of all of his stupid catchphrases, but he gets information out quickly and talks about us quite a bit.

I'm sure there are some other national folks but I keep forgetting who works where now since Fox and ESPN laid off like 90% of the college basketball writers.

Andy Katz is still looking for a job? I figured he would've been scooped up in a minute.
Pumpkinhead
AG
as a local men hoops source, this is a good one:

https://twitter.com/aggiembk

Edit: I see that Bob already mentioned it (as his first link).
tehmackdaddy
AG
I don't know the individuals' TexAgs Twitter handles. So far I only follow Looch and the TexAgs account.

Hop, do you post there?
bobinator
AG
Hop is the worst twitter-er in Twitter history, but he is on there. (I'm just kidding because I know Hop pretty well, he's a decent follow)

Logan's feed is mostly retweets and the TexAgs account will tweet out anything that's posted so as long as you're following that one you're probably good.

Sometimes (rarely) Louie Belina will tweet out something interesting that Logan or a guest said on his show

That's really pretty much it, there's not a lot of consistent coverage for Aggie hoops.

I assume if we're good the DMN will send someone fairly often but it's not worth following them all the time.
mikesyracuse1
Hop said:

bobinator said:

Official account

Local Journalists:
Brent Zwerneman

National guys:

Andy Katz is still looking for a job? I figured he would've been scooped up in a minute.

I heard recently that several of the ESPN guys will be joining forces in a new sports publication. Including Katz.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
Seth Davis, formerly of CBS, is part of The Fieldhouse, which will the The Athletic's CBB vertical similar to Stewart Mandel and company that are The All American for college football. I haven't seen any other announcements yet for The Fieldhouse but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the drifters end up there.
tehmackdaddy
AG
I appreciate the input!
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Hop is the worst twitter-er in Twitter history, but he is on there. (I'm just kidding because I know Hop pretty well, he's a decent follow)

Logan's feed is mostly retweets and the TexAgs account will tweet out anything that's posted so as long as you're following that one you're probably good.

Sometimes (rarely) Louie Belina will tweet out something interesting that Logan or a guest said on his show

That's really pretty much it, there's not a lot of consistent coverage for Aggie hoops.

I assume if we're good the DMN will send someone fairly often but it's not worth following them all the time.

For people here, I'm probably not a good follow because I'll post information on this board before I tweet it.
Serious Lee
Hop said:

still amazes me joe lunardi has a job but katz doesnt
bobinator
AG
Lunardi provides something unique, or at least did. He's not the best at it, but he was one of the first. Andy Katz doesn't really do much for me to be honest, but he does talk about the Ags somewhat often.
Serious Lee
since it was about budget cuts, do you really think you (bobinator) couldnt provide a comparable product for a fraction of the cost?
bobinator
AG
I could definitely do what Lunardi does, we've done some bracketologies on this board in the past and we've been on par with the national predictors, it's pretty easy once you know the bracket rules.

But the "fraction of the cost" thing is an interesting question, because I bet Lunardi doesn't get paid very much at all by ESPN. He's the associate vice president of marketing communications at St. Joseph's University and he does the color for the St. Joseph's basketball broadcasts, so Lunardi probably banks pretty well at St. Joseph's. (Probably in the ~200K range)

The only thing he does at ESPN is bracketology, it's not like he writes stories, and he does some TV hits. So I bet they hardly pay him anything.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I could definitely do what Lunardi does, we've done some bracketologies on this board in the past and we've been on par with the national predictors, it's pretty easy once you know the bracket rules.

But the "fraction of the cost" thing is an interesting question, because I bet Lunardi doesn't get paid very much at all by ESPN. He's the associate vice president of marketing communications at St. Joseph's University and he does the color for the St. Joseph's basketball broadcasts, so Lunardi probably banks pretty well at St. Joseph's. (Probably in the ~200K range)

The only thing he does at ESPN is bracketology, it's not like he writes stories, and he does some TV hits. So I bet they hardly pay him anything.
There are posts out there on forums that Lunardi's contract with espn could be as high as 2.2 million. But it is forum stuff so who knows.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/can-you-believe-joe-lunardi-makes-2-2-million-annually.225645/page-2
bobinator
AG
There is absolutely no way it's anywhere close to that much. If he even makes 50K from ESPN I'd be pretty surprised.

Otherwise, like Gunnysack said, why wouldn't they cut him loose? You could basically hire anyone to do that for less than 50K a year. Hell a bunch of bloggers do a more accurate job for free.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

There is absolutely no way it's anywhere close to that much. If he even makes 50K from ESPN I'd be pretty surprised.

Otherwise, like Gunnysack said, why wouldn't they cut him loose? You could basically hire anyone to do that for less than 50K a year. Hell a bunch of bloggers do a more accurate job for free.

You are missing the point of why he's valuable. Yes, there are hundreds of bracketologists out there, but only Lunardi is synonymously known as THE bracketologist. He gets eyeballs. And he has "stories". He updates his bracket throughout the year and traffic probably spikes every time he releases a new version.

I don't know if he's making 2.2 mil, but he's certainly making more than Daryl Bruffet.
bobinator
AG
I think that's a chicken and egg argument. He's known as THE bracketologist because he works for ESPN.

If ESPN replaced Lunardi with Steve from Tulsa and pimped him all year as the world's leading bracketologist and had him on the air during games and everything I don't think their bracketology page would suffer for it.
greg.w.h
AG
bobinator said:

I think that's a chicken and egg argument. He's known as THE bracketologist because he works for ESPN.

If ESPN replaced Lunardi with Steve from Tulsa and pimped him all year as the world's leading bracketologist and had him on the air during games and everything I don't think their bracketology page would suffer for it.

Maybe that Bob guy from Ator should make a proposal to ESPN...
bobinator
AG
greg.w.h said:

Maybe that Bob guy from Ator should make a proposal to ESPN...
It would obviously be Bob in Ator...
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

There is some truth in that line by the actor Jeremy Irons who was the CEO in the movie Margin Call.

To succeed in business, you can either be smarter, cheat, or be first.

Lunardi was first.

Whether or not a million other people (or their pets) could do the same thing does not mean Lunardi isn't well paid by ESPN.
bobinator
AG
I don't really dispute that he probably used to be paid well by ESPN, but with them trimming a lot of their editorial staff, I just can't imagine he's making very much to do what he does anymore unless ESPN signed him to some sort of insane lifetime contract back in 2002 or something.

They could replace him with basically anyone, and it wouldn't affect their bottom line at all. Lunardi doesn't have the phrase bracketology trademarked (though he probably should have thought of that) or anything.

And it's not like ESPN has a history of being extremely loyal or anything that they'd keep paying Lunardi all this money while they cut loose top notch writers like Dana O'Neil.
Serious Lee
bobinator said:

Lunardi doesn't have the phrase bracketology trademarked (though he probably should have thought of that) or anything.

interesting you bring that up cause i vaguely remember him tweeting this past year that the oxford english dictionary added "bracketology" as a word.
President Trump
President Trump
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.