End of Era - Dave South retiring after 2017-2018 football/basketball season

1,815 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FTAG 2000
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/texas-radio-broadcaster-dave-south-retire-football-basketball-duties-season

Hope the 2017-2018 basketball team sends him off with a great season!

Quote:

Radio broadcaster Dave South has been the voice of Texas A&M sports since 1985, but after this year, his duties will scale back tremendously. South is retiring from calling football and basketball games at the end of the upcoming seasons, as reported Thursday by the Houston Chronicle.
bobinator
AG
Off topic, but why not go ahead and link directly to the chronicle story and support an outlet that has a local journalist instead of an aggregating site like SECcountry.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Off topic, but why not go ahead and link directly to the chronicle story and support an outlet that has a local journalist instead of an aggregating site like SECcountry.

It used to be standard etiquette for sites to simply paraphrase an article and then provide the link....serving as a teaser where both the site and the original publisher share in the traffic. Now, these news conglomerators are cutting out the publisher and printing full stories. It's a joke that they pretend to provide the courtesy of listing a link to the original story, by why bother going to the link of the article when it's shown in full on these sites already.
Rest in by peace, Stemp
GE
AG
Chronicle and BZ
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

True story...I saw a post on another forum about it...so went to Google and typed 'Dave South retiring' and then randomly clicked on one of the links that was shown on the first page of results. Copied that link and top paragraph into my post. Then I was logged off. In the approximately 45 seconds that took, I'm not sure that I even noticed really who had written the article and I definitely didn't have any nuanced thoughts about journalism support.

I get though that you have worked in that field, so such thoughts come more naturally to you!
mhayden
Quote:

In the approximately 45 seconds that took, I'm not sure that I even noticed really who had written the article and I definitely didn't have any nuanced thoughts about journalism support.

Taking 45 seconds to not even really notice something or have any nuanced thoughts about it.

How Dave South of you.
mikesyracuse1
There's a certain ESPN writer who used to regularly take stuff that was posted on this board and use it in his reporting.

I don't ever remember him giving credit to anyone in here.

Hilarious !

Mikesyracuse1
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

bobinator said:

True story...I saw a post on another forum about it...so went to Google and typed 'Dave South retiring' and then randomly clicked on one of the links that was shown on the first page of results. Copied that link and top paragraph into my post. Then I was logged off. In the approximately 45 seconds that took, I'm not sure that I even noticed really who had written the article and I definitely didn't have any nuanced thoughts about journalism support.

I get though that you have worked in that field, so such thoughts come more naturally to you!
My beef isn't with you Pumpkinhead. It's these sites that are basically hijacking other people's content and presenting it as their own...with a small link to the original source as if that makes it OK.
Rest in by peace, Stemp
Serious Lee
did he look like a hobbit?
bobinator
AG
Yeah, and Pumpkin I know you give the local folks their due clicks. But it's these aggregating sites that are killing local coverage. You can hate BZ all you want but he's at every media availability and open practice reporting everything he can and then an aggregating site takes his info. It's the same for Texags or the Eagle or anyone else.
Bonfired
AG
I'll never forget when Dave got tossed out of Reunion Arena during the 1993 SWC tournament for giving the ref the choke sign...priceless.
AggieTFA06
AG
"GOT IT! HE GOT IT IN!" -Dave South on The Shot
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Method Man
BJ Holmes with the fingertip roll.
jml2621
THAT GUY!

He did call it right with Johnny at the Bama game: "Lightning in a bottle!"

Dave South was iconic in his own way in football. In b'ball radio broadcasts it was difficult to discern exactly what was going on or why, besides score updates. The color guy sounded like a bad imitation of Calvin Murphy.

I wish him well, though!!! He's part of the true Aggie spirit!
Hop
Staff
AG
Vintage Dave South call...

Back in the days of the Big 12 when many conference games weren't on TV, I was listening to Dave call the Colorado game on the road.

At one point in the action with Colorado possessing the ball, Dave gets distracted with something and goes silent for a brief second. Then you can hear a roar from the crowd and the announcer screams "3-pointer by Smith!!!!". Dave immediately comes back on and says to Al, "I missed that Al, what happened there?" I loved it.

We all have Dave stories, but he is an icon and a Texas A&M treasure. He had some great calls. It doesn't get any better than "Oh Doctor!!!!".

Getting thrown out of the SWC Tourney for giving the ref a choke sign during a timeout is a thing of beauty from a home school announcer.
Method Man
Bryan davis draws the foul. (Davis fouled the man and didn't draw the foul).
old yeller
AG
Method Man said:

Well, if you're going to split hairs
jml2621
old yeller said:

Method Man said:

Well, if you're going to split hairs

Bryan fouled him just the way he drew it up!
FTAG 2000
AG
He's a good Ag, but I can't help but think we'll finally be able to understand what's happening on the court.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.