Missouri Lands Another Porter

2,277 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bobinator
mikesyracuse1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Little brother reclassified and joins his brother this year. He was ranked 10th in the 2018 class.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/20297218/jontay-porter-reclassify-join-brother-michael-porter-jr-missouri

Mikesyracuse1
Ags #1
AG
We need to go hire a dad that has some bad ass baller soms not named ball
bobinator
AG
I just don't get how this is even possible. He can just skip his entire senior year of high school and be eligible? And it's not like he's a prep school kid, he won't turn 18 until November. Is he like Doogie Howser?
mikesyracuse1
Ags #1 said:

The Aggies did this a few years ago. That experience didn't end well for the player or the dad.

Mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead
AG
Watched Porter Jr. a little bit in the Adidas thing that just took place (that both Admon Gilder and Robert Williams participated in), where Porter was going up against other D1 players (including a game where I watched Gilder try to defend him a couple of times).

Stop the presses. Shocking news alert. Yep, he's really good. Ben Simmons size with pretty decent handles, maybe not quite as good a ball handler as Simmons nor as good a passer, but has a significantly better outside shot than Simmons had (from what I watched) and definitely had a scorer's mindset.

I was wondering if there was a small chance that Porter Jr. might stay at Mizzou two years because of his dad and wanting to play a year with his younger brother, but I assume now that he gets to play with bro in 2017-2018 that yet further seals the one-and-done thing.

Going to be a really fun year to watch SEC basketball. We'll be good. Missouri will be a really interesting team to watch to see how dramatic a turnaround they can do with the Porter family. Auburn is returning 5 starters and it sure seems like it is about time for Bruce Pearl to finally get that team out of the cellar over there. Florida should be good, Bama should be good. Teams like Vandy and Miss State and Arkansas got some good players. And there is of course Kentucky.

And LSU should stink. Which won't hurt my feelings one bit.

Pumpkinhead
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Ags #1 said:

The Aggies did this a few years ago. That experience didn't end well for the player or the dad.

Mikesyracuse1
When we hired John Reese, I was really excited about not only getting J-Mike but also thought the Reese family connections would land us 5-star SG Keith Frazier.

And sure enough, it turned out that J-Mychal Reese & Keith Frazier did end up playing together!!!!

For the North Texas Mean Green in 2016-2017....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/249/north-texas-mean-green
Ags #1
AG
Kept on trying till you get it right and next time do it when you are getting 2 brothers in the same year
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

I just don't get how this is even possible. He can just skip his entire senior year of high school and be eligible? And it's not like he's a prep school kid, he won't turn 18 until November. Is he like Doogie Howser?
Hey, the kid has talent, but he's still 17 and inexperienced compared to the 20-21 year olds he will go up against in November. If both brothers stay two years then Missouri will be hard to handle in 2018-2019. But I think you'll see a wildly inconsistent Missouri team in 2017-2018, that may have a great game and beat a good team and then go out and play a stinker against a lower division team.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Due to extra hours this kid must have spent this summer trying to get all that schoolwork done, he must not have had much time to work on his basketball game.

_lefraud_
AG
Hop said:

bobinator said:

Hey, the kid has talent, but he's still 17 and inexperienced compared to the 20-21 year olds he will go up against in November. If both brothers stay two years then Missouri will be hard to handle in 2018-2019. But I think you'll see a wildly inconsistent Missouri team in 2017-2018, that may have a great game and beat a good team and then go out and play a stinker against a lower division team.

15 years ago this would have mattered. But this 17 year old is REALLY good, and he's played plenty of ball against solid competition. There also are not that many great 20/21 year olds playing college basketball.

I agree they could lose some stinkers, but they have 2 top 10 caliber players. This should put them on bubble status come March.
bobinator
AG
I still think it will matter when they play good teams.

Thing is, he'll probably be good enough to make Missouri better. He doesn't have to be a superstar this year to have an impact because they desperately need depth.

I hope Davis and Williams make him wish he'd have stayed in high school though.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I agree with LeFraud. I think they will be an NCAA bubble team contender.

Their 2017 recruiting class is now ranked #3 in the country on 247 composite behind only Kentucky and Duke.

They got the #1 (Porter Jr.), #21 (Jontay Porter), and #41 ranked recruits (Tillman) on 247 composite. Plus some other pieces. Massive upgrade in talent over there.

Porter Jr. was recently measured at 6'10" (w/ shoes) and the shooting ability that he has demonstrated...he may turn out to be one of the most potent offensive players that we've seen in college basketball since a decade ago when a near-7 footer shooter Kevin Durant was playing over in Austin.

I do agree with Hop that they may have some growing pains but I think they'll also beat some good teams and be in the hunt for an NCAA bid.

If I was to rank the SEC pre-season right now in basketball in terms of power rankings, I think I would go:

1) Kentucky
2) Florida
3) Texas A&M
4) Alabama
5) Missouri

Pumpkinhead
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Ags #1 said:

Mikesyracuse1
Hiring godfathers or AAU coaches has also had mixed results (e.g., LSU where Jones hired Ben Simmons' godfather, Western Kentucky where Stansbury hired Mitchell Robinson's godfather, Alabama where Avery hired Tarrance Ferguson's AAU coach, etc.)

Over/under on how long Michael Porter Sr. remains a coach on Missouri's coaching staff once his sons have left for the NBA?

I'm not going to knock what is happening at Missouri, since when Kennedy was trying his hardest to land the Porter family last summer obviously as a fan I was all on board.

That fact, and since I enjoy watching college sports in general, I usually just put in the back of my mind the apparent shady side of the recruiting stuff. From the guys 'adopting' boys from Africa to try to eventually make money off them, to the hiring of assistants clearly linked to a high profile recruit(s), to this ability of 5-star players like Jontay Porter and Bagley to 'reclassify' and finish high school with apparent ease in just 3 years. Meanwhile the other 99.9% of the teenage population has to stick around for four years in HS, and other young men like J.J. Caldwell are told to sit out an entire college season because the NCAA didn't like some course they took. While Jontay Porter and Bagley apparently did everything by the NCAA book despite attending multiple high schools and then skipping out their final HS year.
bobinator
AG
It's like anything else, you weigh the risks and rewards. Depending on the head coach, assistant coaches don't really have to do anything in college basketball anyway. At least by hiring the father of a player the money is taking a more direct route to the player instead of some random handler or something.

The problem is that the NBA and schools (and by extension the NCAA) have created an environment where there is a lot of money to be made, but the players can't directly receive any of it. It's going to go somewhere.

If anything, I kind of like that college basketball isn't really that "shady," it's pretty obvious what's happening most of the time and unless they overhaul the amateur system it's going to keep happening.
biobioprof
I think his sister is on the WBB team

http://www.mutigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4031

Quote:

Has seven siblings that all play basketball
bobinator
AG
Yeah, because the dad was an assistant for the women's team at Mizzou before he left to join Romar's staff in Washington last year.

At least Missouri is getting a solid bang for their buck on the Porter front.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Quote:

"isn't really that "shady,"

The whole recruiting business particular of the high end recruits seems to have a decent portion of 'shady' transactions and characters IMO.

bobinator
AG
If you're in it though it's not really shady. Maybe shady in the fact that it's against NCAA rules, but it's all pretty out in the open.

It's not nearly as shady, at least in the sense that the general public has no real idea of what's going on, as football recruiting.

If you mean shady in the sense that it's full of shady people, then yeah I'd agree with that, but I think that's on the schools that rule over the NCAA that have created an environment where those people can thrive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.