Logan on Texags Radio today

1,741 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mdanyc03
mdanyc03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not much new, but a few quick notes.

- Freshmen are all hard workers. He's not sure that there are any instant superstars but compared it to the 2015 freshman class and the Sloan/ Bryan Davis freshman class.

- Said he is not sure if any of the freshmen are NBA types, but they should all be good college players. Said Savion Flagg probably has the most pro upside.

- Older guys working hard and setting good example.

- Mentioned that Robert Williams has really cranked it up the last couple of weeks. We have heard this a few time. He always thought he was working hard but it takes some time to learn how to work hard, etc.

- Said that DJ is "getting back on the court" (after shoulder surgery a while back).

- When asked which freshman was "adjusting the best" (kind of an ambiguous question) he said "if had had to chose" he would say Jay Jay. Long, athletic, plays defense, can score off the dribble and shoot and a hard worker. Said he had the lowest expectations for him of the the freshmen but that he will be a good player.

- Doesn't expect any of the freshmen to play that much. Less than 20 minutes, but all will play and contribute. Even if they don't play much, all will make the difference to win or lose games at some point.

- Then talked about Caruso some.

- My take- All what we would expect to hear in the off season. Logon can't help but sound like a coach ("Have to work hard, haven't proven anything, yada yada"). I was hoping for (not expecting but I thought it was possible) that we would get a Robert Williams type scenario with Savion Flagg (goes from kinda off the radar to potential one and done) but that doesn't appear to be in the cards. Remember all the legendary stuff that was starting to leak out about Robert Williams this time last year.
bobinator
AG
Well, part of why Flagg might not get that opportunity is because Williams is here. He could be really good and not see the court that much. Williams didn't exactly have to beat out a murder's row for playing time.

I'm assuming they aren't including Caldwell in their talk about freshmen because if he's playing less than 20 minutes a game we're either amazing or really screwed.

I'd be interested in what Logan is concerned about heading into the season. We know all of the positive talking points.

Also thanks for the writeup!
mdanyc03
AG
Logan's "concerns" were not about personnel really but kinda coach speak stuff. Will this team bring it every time? Can they make the big plays in crunch time? Etc. All legit stuff but not unique to this team or particularly insightful.

Definitely were not including JJ Caldwell in the freshman discussion and in fact Caldwell (along with Admon) was cited as the reason why Jay Jay and TJ won't get that many minutes.

With regards to Savion Flagg, I guess I meant that more in terms of assessment of talent rather than actually being a first round draft pick per se. At this time last year, we were hearing the stories from Logan and Caruso and others about workouts they had seen and Robert Williams jumping so high that the machine couldn't measure his vertical and I think it was in September when Kennedy made his statement about Robert Williams being "one of the better plays to ever come through A&M" and this board kinda threw a fit about a coach saying something like that before his first game.

I just haven't heard that level of awe in regards to Flagg. All has been positive stuff mind you and consistent with his recruiting ranking. But, based on what I had seen, I thought there was a chance he could be Robert Williams level talent.

Now nothing wrong of course with him being a 3-4 year contributor and an All SEC type player as an upperclassman and I think he can be that. But I was kinda hoping he would be so good we couldn't keep him off the floor from the beginning and kinda the extra high end NBA talent that would take this team from good to elite.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The other A&M player's have often spoken highly about Caldwell in their interviews. Robert Williams for example has seemed really excited about getting to play with him. So that is a great sign that Caldwell will be legit, he has certainly impressed his own teammates in practices. Though I'd expect some learning curve (hopefully Duane Wilson will make that transition a smooth one).

Hop
Staff
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Logan's "concerns" were not about personnel really but kinda coach speak stuff. Will this team bring it every time? Can they make the big plays in crunch time? Etc. All legit stuff but not unique to this team or particularly insightful.

Definitely were not including JJ Caldwell in the freshman discussion and in fact Caldwell (along with Admon) was cited as the reason why Jay Jay and TJ won't get that many minutes.

With regards to Savion Flagg, I guess I meant that more in terms of assessment of talent rather than actually being a first round draft pick per se. At this time last year, we were hearing the stories from Logan and Caruso and others about workouts they had seen and Robert Williams jumping so high that the machine couldn't measure his vertical and I think it was in September when Kennedy made his statement about Robert Williams being "one of the better plays to ever come through A&M" and this board kinda threw a fit about a coach saying something like that before his first game.

I just haven't heard that level of awe in regards to Flagg. All has been positive stuff mind you and consistent with his recruiting ranking. But, based on what I had seen, I thought there was a chance he could be Robert Williams level talent.

Now nothing wrong of course with him being a 3-4 year contributor and an All SEC type player as an upperclassman and I think he can be that. But I was kinda hoping he would be so good we couldn't keep him off the floor from the beginning and kinda the extra high end NBA talent that would take this team from good to elite.
In defense of Flagg, you are comparing him to a once in a quarter-century type of player at Texas A&M.
Pumpkinhead
AG

- Yes, when talking about the freshman, they were not including Caldwell but just the 2017 true freshman.

- Logan was pretty complimentary of 2017 freshman class, comparing them to both the 2015 class (Davis/Hogg/Thomas/Gilder) and 2006 class (Sloan/Bryan Davis/D-Roland). he said not sure if any of them were NBA potential (gave Flagg the best chance), but he does think they will be very good college players.

- He said that he does think this team has a chance to be special, but also of course lots of work to do.

http://zone1150.com/page.php?page_id=141
Know Your Enemy
AG
Thanks for the notes.
mdanyc03
AG
Yes, absolutely.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.