Guess the Rotation this year

2,377 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[backup at that spot]

PG: Caldwell [Starks/Wilson/Gilder]
SG: Gilder [Wilson/Chandler]
SF: Hogg [Wilson/Flagg/Walker]
Post or Stretch 4: Davis, Williams [Trocha/Jasey/Walker]

Edit: added Wilson in the mix at point
bobinator
AG
I'd like to see us put other teams in bad lineups with our depth. We can go real big: Caldwell/Hogg/Trocha/Williams/Davis we can go small: Caldwell/Wilson/Gilder/Hogg/Williams

If the freshmen are good we can bring a few of them in for 3-4 minutes just to absolutely run and gun to wear down other teams: Starks/Chandler/Gilder/Flagg/Williams

There are a lot of options.

But if we need a basket in the closing minutes, someone is going to have to prove to me that our best lineup isn't Caldwell/Gilder/Hogg/Williams/Davis

GE
AG
The only thing I will venture a guess at is minutes played, and I'll only do that for a few of the players.

Starters:
Caldwell - 25
Gilder - 28
Hogg - 25
Williams - 25
Davis - 25

Bench:
Trocha - 22
Flagg - 15
Jasey - 8
Best of Wilson, Starks, & Chandler - 15
2nd best of Wilson, Starks, & Chanlder - 12
StanGundy
If Williams and Davis only average 25 minutes then this team should be 40-0, winning every game in a blowout; or the entire staff should be fired. It will be criminal if those two only average 25 minutes a contest.
Hop
Staff
AG
I still think y'all are under-valuing Wilson's role on the team. He will be the back-up at both the point and shooting guard, and he'll be in the close games late. I think he'll average 20 minutes a game.
bobinator
AG
StanGundy said:

If Williams and Davis only average 25 minutes then this team should be 40-0, winning every game in a blowout; or the entire staff should be fired. It will be criminal if those two only average 25 minutes a contest.
Williams averaged 25.8 and Davis averaged 26.2 last year. Williams' minutes will probably go up this season but I don't think it's crazy to think Davis stays about the same. The way he plays is probably conducive to about 25-28 minutes per unless it's a particularly slowly paced game or something.
czar_iv
AG
I tend to agree with Hop after seeing Wilson's freshmen highlights. Unless Caldwell is out of this world, I can see Wilson starting. BK hasn't developed a PG since he has been here so I don't see that starting now. Then BK has his standard builtin excuse for 2018-2019.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aston04 said:

[backup at that spot]

PG: Caldwell [Starks/Gilder]
SG: Gilder [Wilson/Chandler]
SF: Hogg [Wilson/Flagg/Walker]
Post or Stretch 4: Davis, Williams [Trocha/Jasey/Walker]
Wilson will be playing both PG and SG. I think you'll see a decent amount of minutes per game where it is Wilson + Gilder in the backcourt, and that probably is going to be our best lineup in terms of playing perimeter defense.

BrandoC
AG
Did he choose to come to A&M knowing he was going to be a backup? Just seems real odd of him to do so when he played the same role at Marquette.
Hop
Staff
AG
BrandoC said:

Did he choose to come to A&M knowing he was going to be a backup? Just seems real odd of him to do so when he played the same role at Marquette.
In his mind, he's going to play 25-30 minutes...and that's what you want. He's too athletic and too much of a leader and defensive stopper to not be in there for at least 20+ minutes. Even if Caldwell earns the starting PG spot, you don't want him out there for 28-30 minutes a game and get worn down by the end of the season. He's never played this many games at this competition level.
bobinator
AG
In his mind he might think he's going to start, and honestly, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that our best lineup is Caldwell/Wilson/Gilder/Williams/Davis.

You lose a little height but you gain a lot of speed.

Goes back to the big thing early in the season of trying to figure out what combinations of players work best together.

Still wish we had at least one game before WVU, but learning on the fly has its benefits I guess.
TXAggie2011
AG
I understand the theory and the sentiment but I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out where all these minutes are going to come from for all these guys expecting/expected to play more than 20 minutes a game.
bobinator
AG
I don't anyone but Davis, Williams and Gilder should probably be "expecting" anything, they're all going to have to prove they deserve the minutes they get. I think that even includes Hogg and Trocha. Those two are going to have to work.

For all of the talk about Caldwell, he hasn't played a game yet, so we'll see.

But great programs have good players on the bench not getting minutes. It's just the way it is.
Hop
Staff
AG
I heard that Wilson worked out with the team for the first time today, and he was very impressive both physically and in being a vocal leader.
bobinator
AG
I'm imagining him trying to encourage guys and really pick everyone up but not knowing any of their names yet. "LET'S GO... MAN..."
TXAggie2011
AG
Well yes.

I suppose focus on the "expected" part if it soothes you. Point is there's 200 minutes and predictions for minutes seem to add up pretty quick.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Duane Wilson was a high four star, Top-50 ish nationally ranked recruit coming out of the 2013 high school recruiting class. He started 51 games for Marquette in a major conference, and averaged 28 minutes per game his freshman and sophomore seasons.

His minutes dropped to about 16 mpg last year, but he still ended up regaining his starter spot the back half of the season.

Now he is joining a roster where all the other competition for the PG spot are guys who, although athletic and talented, don't have a single minute of D1 experience yet. So I would definitely assume the guy is confident and looking to have a major role on the team.
jml2621
Hop said:

BrandoC said:

In his mind, he's going to play 25-30 minutes...and that's what you want. He's too athletic and too much of a leader and defensive stopper to not be in there for at least 20+ minutes. Even if Caldwell earns the starting PG spot, you don't want him out there for 28-30 minutes a game and get worn down by the end of the season. He's never played this many games at this competition level.

Wojo would have played him 15 mi/game this year

When Wilson started Marquette was 278. 256, and 138 defending the 3. He didn't get a lot of steals. That's simply not great team defense.

Wilson will provide some stability, leadership, running the second team...or everything Bobinator mentioned.
jml2621

Starters:
Caldwell - 24
Gilder - 29
Hogg - 24
Williams - 30
Davis - 25

Bench:
Wilson: 15
Starks: 10
Flagg: 17
Trocha: 18

9 man rotation. Quality depth. Virtually all gaps filled. If A&M stays healthy and BK rotations don't screw this up, it could be a very, very good year.

Right now, I have Flagg and his athleticism contributing more at SF than Wilson at PG. If Caldwell falters and/or Wilson's outside shooting improves he could see 20+ min/game. Starks could be a surprise. We'll see.

mop up:

Chandler: 3
Walker: 4
Jasey: 3

bingram1230
AG
PG- Caldwell. Then whomever plays better between Starks or Wilson (I hope it's not just who is older)

SG- Admon- Wilson or Chandler (whoever is better)

SF- Hogg- Flagg

PF- Williams- Trocha

C- Davis- Trocha
jml2621
bobinator said:

In his mind he might think he's going to start, and honestly, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that our best lineup is Caldwell/Wilson/Gilder/Williams/Davis.

You lose a little height but you gain a lot of speed.

Goes back to the big thing early in the season of trying to figure out what combinations of players work best together.

Still wish we had at least one game before WVU, but learning on the fly has its benefits I guess.

But that's two guards that aren't great 3FG shooters on the floor at the same time.

Maybe 10+ points ahead...
BrandoC
AG
I could easily see Flagg passing Hogg up. Hogg has to be way better than he was last year to hold his starting position.
bingram1230
AG
I 100% agree. If Hogg doesn't step up his game he is more in danger than any of our projected starters to me. I actually liked DJ last year when he was healthy but these injuries he has been recovering from might not be good this off season in terms of preparation. If Flagg can defend other wings evendecently well he might start, or at the very least take some of Hogg's minutes.
Hop
Staff
AG
jml2621 said:

Starters:
Caldwell - 24
Gilder - 29
Hogg - 24
Williams - 30
Davis - 25

Bench:

9 man rotation. Quality depth. Virtually all gaps filled. If A&M stays healthy and BK rotations don't screw this up, it could be a very, very good year.

Right now, I have Flagg and his athleticism contributing more at SF than Wilson at PG. If Caldwell falters and/or Wilson's outside shooting improves he could see 20+ min/game. Starks could be a surprise. We'll see.

mop up:

They want to redshirt Walker. He's a rail. Jasey will play more than 3 minutes a game...6-7 minutes/game. He's a good defender and will eat some minutes and give Kennedy some fouls in the paint. We'll see about Wilson. He didn't come here to play 15 minutes. Much longer defender than Caldwell. Plus, he's a veteran. He'll be on the court in crunch time.
GE
AG
Hop said:

jml2621 said:

Starters:
Caldwell - 24
Gilder - 29
Hogg - 24
Williams - 30
Davis - 25

Bench:

mop up:

They want to redshirt Walker. He's a rail. Jasey will play more than 3 minutes a game...6-7 minutes/game. He's a good defender and will eat some minutes and give Kennedy some fouls in the paint. We'll see about Wilson. He didn't come here to play 15 minutes. Much longer defender than Caldwell. Plus, he's a veteran. He'll be on the court in crunch time.
So do you kind of see it as Wilson being the first guy off the bench for both the 1 and the 2? Would that make the second backup for PG Starks and the second backup for SG Chandler?
Pumpkinhead
AG
How about a fun guess here?

Duane Wilson will play 20 minutes in the first game of season vs West Virginia in Germany. Do you take the over or under?
GE
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Duane Wilson will play 20 minutes in the first game of season vs West Virginia in Germany. Do you take the over or under?

Over.
bingram1230
AG
I will say over
Serious Lee
if wilson isnt playing over 20 minutes a game, then that likely means one of starks/chandler/flagg is an All SEC player
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

I'll take the over, especially in the season opener in Germany.
LouisvilleAg
AG
At PG
Caldwell - 23 minutes
Wilson - 10 minutes
Starks - 7 minutes

At SG
Gilder - 26 minutes
Wilson - 7 minutes
Chandler - 7 minutes

At SF
Hogg - 19 minutes
Flagg - 14 minutes
Trocha - 7 minutes

At PF
Williams - 25 minutes
Trocha - 11 minutes
Hogg - 4 minutes

At C
Davis - 25 minutes
Williams - 5 minutes
Trocha - 5 minutes
Jasey - 5 minutes

Totals:
Williams - 30 minutes
Gilder - 26 minutes
Davis - 25 minutes
Caldwell - 23 minutes
Hogg - 23 minutes
Trocha - 23 minutes
Wilson - 17 minutes
Flagg - 14 minutes
Starks - 7 minutes
Chandler - 7 minutes
Jasey - 5 minutes

jml2621
GE said:

Hop said:

jml2621 said:

Starters:
Caldwell - 24
Gilder - 29
Hogg - 24
Williams - 30
Davis - 25

Bench:

mop up:

So do you kind of see it as Wilson being the first guy off the bench for both the 1 and the 2? Would that make the second backup for PG Starks and the second backup for SG Chandler?

Wilson's not a 2. Starks can fill in some combo guard.

If Starks develops quickly, he should take min from Wilson. Having said that BK LOVES Sr. guards regardless of what their level really is.

jml2621
Hop said:

jml2621 said:

Starters:
Caldwell - 24
Gilder - 29
Hogg - 24
Williams - 30
Davis - 25

Bench:

mop up:

He's pretty skinny - A meter Jasey can take those min in the SEC.

Wilson may be longer than Caldwell, but metrics just don't lie. Steal % was average, team 3FG% defense was bad (167, 210), and Wilson's 3FG shooting % low (29%). He creates a below average # of assists. Hogg and Gilder had much better assist rates last year (when we didn't have a PG) than when Wilson had last year. Caruso had a 31.1 AR vs. 17.2 for Wilson. Collins had a 26.9 AR in 2016 also.

Steals: Caruso: 4.2; Gilder: 2.6, 3.4 Wilson: 2.5, 2.6 (starting)

If Wilson is playing 25+ min a game, we're not elite. We're better off developing players early in the season. I realize that's not BK's way, but that's why he's a better recruiter than coach.

jml2621
BrandoC said:

I could easily see Flagg passing Hogg up. Hogg has to be way better than he was last year to hold his starting position.

Agreed. Even if Hogg is playing well. Flagg and RW could very well blow up. Gilder, Flagg, and RW on the court together is SICK athletically.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.