An Ode to Khris Middleton

1,781 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Hickory High
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As I was perusing a popular thread on the NBA sub-Reddit, one of the top posts was something along the lines of "only shoots fadeaways and spot-ups like Khris Middleton". It was crazy to me because it made me realize that Khris is getting to a point where he's "known for" a particular aspect of the game.

It feels like a lifetime ago that he was at A&M playing in an awkward era of Aggie basketball. I never wrote Khris off when he decided to leave, but there's been more than a few "is he a guard or a forward" guys that never made it in the league because they never really found a place. I didn't think Khris had the quickness & range to play guard or the strength to defend forwards, so I feared that would be his fate as well.

I find it extremely impressive how he's able to thrive as both a tall shooting guard and a slightly undersized small forward depending on the lineup the Bucks put on the floor. He only ever does two moves on offense: faceup iso midrange fadeaway and post-up iso fadeaway. Defenders know its coming, but they can't defend it. It has to be infuriating. Just look at this short clip of him lighting up Brandon Ingram, someone who I think is a great defender:

Anyways, random post, I know, but it just tickled me to see Khris become known as an established player in the NBA.
wacarnolds
AG
Gig em Khris
GrayMatter
AG
He's mastered the lost art of the mid-range jumper.
bobinator
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

Yeah, he's real good at what is usually a bad shot.
Hickory High
AG
bobinator said:

AggieBaller98 said:

True, but within the Bucks offensive strategy, it's helpful.
rollingwoodaggie
Need to get Middleton to SA!!
Goose
AG
bobinator said:

AggieBaller98 said:

Good shot or bad, he's good enough at it that they're willing to pay him $15 million a year to do it.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, it wasn't a knock on Middleton, for him it's a good shot and it's enabled him to be a really good pro.

He's good at something that basically nobody else is good at.
hurleyag
AG
Middleton looks Jay-Z
Pumpkinhead
AG
Goose said:

bobinator said:

AggieBaller98 said:

Good shot or bad, he's good enough at it that they're willing to pay him $15 million a year to do it.
I wish I was THAT good at something so meaningless/useless.
mdanyc03
AG
Goose said:

bobinator said:

AggieBaller98 said:

He is definitely a good mid range jump shooter, but that isn't why he gets paid $15 million. He gets paid $15 million because he shoots over 40% on threes and 88% from the free throw line at 6'8.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hickory High said:

It feels like a lifetime ago that he was at A&M playing in an awkward era of Aggie basketball.
I personally would not categorize his career at A&M as being during an 'awkward' era.

Khris got a chance to play on two NCAA tournament teams. That Donald Sloan/B. Davis/D-Roland team that he played on his freshman season was arguably Mark Turgeon's best team of the 4 Aggie teams that he coached. Had Roland not broken his leg, I think they likely would have done even better than what they accomplished that year. He had a great game scoring 19 points beating Utah State in the first round of the NCAA that year. How many freshman do you typically see dropping 19 points in their very first NCAA tournament game?

His sophomore season he was a legit star in the Big 12, and everybody knew that he was planning to declare for the NBA draft after his junior season.

His junior year obviously was rocky both due to a coaching change and an injury riddled year (Khris unfortunately played very few games that season at '100%') but overall still was a pretty good college ride for him IMO.

wacarnolds
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Goose said:

bobinator said:

AggieBaller98 said:

He is definitely a good mid range jump shooter, but that isn't why he gets paid $15 million. He gets paid $15 million because he shoots over 40% on threes and 88% from the free throw line at 6'8.
No slouch on defense either
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Brandon Ongram is not a great defender. Lol
bobinator
AG
also negative points to OP for the ode not being a long rhyming poem.
Hickory High
AG
I mean that's subjective but ok.
jml2621

If Khris had not come back from injury, the Bucks would have missed the playoffs. It's just that simple.

jml2621
wacarnolds said:

mdanyc03 said:

Goose said:

bobinator said:

AggieBaller98 said:

No slouch on defense either

Much better than Harrison Barnes.
jml2621

The Middleton got in position at the high post as an Ag, it was a bucket. Midrange, dribble drive to the hole, or pass to Loubeau for a lay-in. Money.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.