Alex Caruso - Lakers Summer league

19,132 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aston04 said:

Can't fill up the basket in the summer= no NBA roster at guard.

Needs to go Euro or Asia. Make as money as possible for his window.
If some posters are still scratching their heads a bit on how Alex Caruso may very well put his toes on an NBA court this next season for at least a game or two wearing a Lakers uniform, some interviews with Luke Walton as well as the Laker's GM during the past couple of summer league games shed some insight into their thought process.

Besides being a guy that plays really hard on defense and has good size and athleticism for the PG spot, apparently it is some similarities between Caruso's game and Lonzo Ball's game that they also really like.

Both Walton and the GM in their comments compared Caruso's game directly to Lonzo Ball as a guy who is a pass-first guard that likes to really push the ball up and distribute. They opined that with Caruso primarily playing for the G-League South Bay Lakers team, they feel that their G-League squad can easily play the same sets and style as their regular Lakers team, thus making it a more seamless transition for players who are moving back and forth between those two rosters. And if Caruso himself is called up then he could more easily just plug into the same system.

So Caruso besides obviously working hard also had a 'right time and place' opportunity, due to some aspects of his game that make him a 'Lonzo Ball-lite' at the moment, and Lonzo Ball is the guy whom the Lakers are planning to center their playing style around next season.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Lakers beat the Mavs last night to advanced to the Summer League Final game. Lonzo Ball is questionable due to a sore calf muscle so there is a possibility that Caruso may start and have to carry the PG load more with Ball playing less minutes.

The Final game is versus the Trail Blazers tonight (10 pm Eastern).

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-summer-league-20170716-story.html
brockdgag86
Thought Alex looked real good in summer league I have watched. What are his chances to make the Lakers roster?
zooguy96
brockdgag86 said:

Thought Alex looked real good in summer league I have watched. What are his chances to make the Lakers roster?

About less than 1%. Highly unlikely.
Pumpkinhead
AG
brockdgag86 said:

Each NBA team is allowed 15 roster spots plus 2 'two way contract' spots.

Caruso is now signed for one of those 'two way' spots. So he is now essentially part of the Laker's roster with his foot in the door (you maybe might think of him as an official 'alternate' for their regular season roster next season).

He'll get paid a base salary of $75,000 a year and will primarily play for the Laker's G-League club, the South Bay Lakers. He can then get called up to the Laker's NBA roster for a maximum of 45 days.

For each day that he is on the Laker's NBA roster, he get paid pro-rated the NBA player's minimum. If he is on the Laker's NBA roster the full 45 days next season, he could make (including his base) as much as $275,000 total.

I think there is a decent chance that you'll see Alex in a Laker's NBA uniform sitting on their bench for at least some handful of days next season. We'll have to keep tabs on him to see if/when he gets called up.

Pumpkinhead
AG
zooguy96 said:

brockdgag86 said:

About less than 1%. Highly unlikely.
As I mentioned in the previous post, there is probably a decent chance you'll see Caruso called up to be on the Laker's NBA roster for at least some set of days next season. He has got a foot in the door now with that two-way contract. Now we'll see what he does with that opportunity.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/7/14/15973576/la-lakers-free-agency-alex-caruso-two-way-contract-las-vegas-summer-league-stats-quotes
Pumpkinhead
AG
Lakers shut down Lonzo Ball for tonight's Summer League Final (sore calf) so I guess Alex Caruso may get the start like he did in that Kings game when Ball was out.
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
Caruso looks gased tonight. 4 games in 5 nights taking its toll.
CypressAg09
AG
Not scoring much 1-4 from floor and 2-2 FTs. But has 7 rebounds and 6 assists. Just watched the 3rd quarter and unless he brings the ball up he's not really involved in the offense.
CypressAg09
AG
Great block by Caruso.

CypressAg09
AG
Lakers win the Summer League. Caruso finished with 15 points, 7 rebounds, and 9 assists and went 7-7 from the FT line. Definitely a good summer league for him overall!
sincereag
Great finish by Alex to help Lakers win the Summer League Championship.
oldarmy76
Ended up with 15-7-9. Not too bad, but would agree with poster that said he looked gassed at times. Did have that great block though.
oldarmy76
Sorry, Germans already
Pumpkinhead
AG
Alex Caruso played fantastic in the 4th quarter to help the Lakers win the summer league tournament.

Just His 4th quarter stats (final 10 minutes of the game):

11 points, 3 assists, 1 nice block (see highlight in post above).

His Overall total stats for game: 15 points, 7 rebounds, 9 assists.
Ben Puig 97
AG
Great job Alex!
Pumpkinhead
AG
oldarmy76 said:

Ended up with 15-7-9. Not too bad, but would agree with poster that said he looked gassed at times. Did have that great block though.

had 4 points and 6 assists entering 4th. He really came through late.
Deputy Travis Junior
Pumpkinhead said:

Alex Caruso played fantastic in the 4th quarter to help the Lakers win the summer league tournament.

Just His 4th quarter stats (final 10 minutes of the game):

11 points, 3 assists, 1 nice block (see highlight in post above).

His Overall total stats for game: 15 points, 7 rebounds, 9 assists.
The one stat you're missing, and it's an important one, is fouls. He really struggled with them all summer.

Still, he showed a lot of great things over the last couple of weeks. The last time I saw him play was at A&M (didn't see any of his D-league highlights), so the new Alex, who isn't at all afraid to shoot, was a substantial, but very welcome, surprise.

I honestly didn't think he had a shot at the NBA given the limits of his offensive game, but at this point, nobody would be surprised to see him grab a spot at the end of a roster. Really happy for him. I loved watching him play for us.
CactusThomas
AG
Stats as starting pg for Lakers - Las Vegas summer league:

Player/ppg/fg%/rpg/apg/spg/bpg

Lolonzo 16.3 / 38% / 7.7 / 9.3 / 2.5 / 1
Caruso 16.5 / 61% / 5.5 / 9.0 / 2.5 / 1

Caruso had 2 starts vs Ball's 6.
Ball was summer league MVP.
jml2621
CypressAg09 said:

Great block by Caruso.

Vicious. Magic I think will bring Caruso up for a stint. I know he appreciates an old school guy like Caruso.
jml2621
CactusThomas said:

Stats as starting pg for Lakers - Las Vegas summer league:

Player/ppg/fg%/rpg/apg/spg/bpg

Lolonzo 16.3 / 38% / 7.7 / 9.3 / 2.5 / 1
Caruso 16.5 / 61% / 5.5 / 9.0 / 2.5 / 1

Caruso had 2 starts vs Ball's 6.
Ball was summer league MVP.

Nice. Not drop-off and increased hustle. I think Alex is going to see some PT with the mothership.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.