Alex Caruso - Lakers Summer league

19,127 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
agtrevino07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AC will be playing with the Lakers. I am not certain the Lakers need a guy like Caruso but it is going to be interesting to see how things go.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-brandon-ingram-lonzo-ball-highlight-2017-las-vegas-summer-league-roster/2017/06/30/

jml2621
agtrevino07 said:

AC will be playing with the Lakers. I am not certain the Lakers need a guy like Caruso but it is going to be interesting to see how things go.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-brandon-ingram-lonzo-ball-highlight-2017-las-vegas-summer-league-roster/2017/06/30/

Every team needs a guy like Caruso.
agtrevino07
AG
He is going to get lots of tv exposure playing next to LBall
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
Spoke to Caruso about a week ago and he was really excited about the Lakers situation. Could be a GREAT situation if everything plays out the way he thinks it will.

The crazy thing is that just before the Lakers made the call to pick Caruso up, he was completely set up and fully planning on playing in the NBA summer league with Dallas. Would have been great for family, friends and Aggies in terms of location to go watch games, but the Laker deal is much better.

Good luck to him as play starts in 3 days!
bmart97
AG
It would awesome if AC were to capably lead the Spurs at PG. I know I'm dreaming, but I might as well be specific in my prayer requests. I always thought he had Manuesque skill. Spurs need a PG now and an ultimate replacement to Manu's versatility.
GrayMatter
AG
Logan Lee said:

Spoke to Caruso about a week ago and he was really excited about the Lakers situation. Could be a GREAT situation if everything plays out the way he thinks it will.

The crazy thing is that just before the Lakers made the call to pick Caruso up, he was completely set up and fully planning on playing in the NBA summer league with Dallas. Would have been great for family, friends and Aggies in terms of location to go watch games, but the Laker deal is much better.

Good luck to him as play starts in 3 days!
If this is the case, I can't wait to buy my Caruso Lakers jersey!
agtrevino07
AG
Thanks for sharing Logan! The main reason I am not certain he might be a good fit for the Lakers is that they just drafted Josh Hart (Vilanova) who has similar size and pretty much had the same stats in college (senior seasons):

Alex Caruso
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Alex-Caruso/Summary/42349

Josh Hart
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Josh-Hart/Summary/41440

Both of them were not great at % FG 3pt so I assume they will be looking to add a Free Agent SG with higher percentages and more experience (e.g. Jamal Crawford).

I am always going to root for AC one of my all favorite players but I am not certain the Lakers might be the team who gives him the chance in the NBA.

AC's competition this summer with the Lakers:

Vander Blue (Marquette) - 6-5
PJ Dozier (South Car) - 6-6
David Nwaba (Cal Poly) - 6-4
Matt Thomas (Iowa St) - 6-5
Gabe York (Arizona) 6-3
PJYoung
AG
Wait, are you guys convinced he makes an NBA roster this season?

I was thinking it would be a couple of years still.
jja79
AG
This is Texags. Every time the Ravens, Bears or Steelers signed Jerrod Johnson to throw to receivers in June and July Texags considered him the new starter.
GrayMatter
AG
It's not out of the realm of possibility that Alex can make an NBA roster. He was a finalist for the Defensive Player of the Year because he's considered an elite perimeter defender which is a rarity in the NBA. The Lakers have been terrible on the defensive end for the past few years and I could see Alex make a name for himself by controlling the game with his motor alone.

But don't take my word for it.... here's a write up of the D-League DPOY finalist:

Quote:

Throughout the season, most of the attention around the OKC Blue has been centered around potential NBA D-League MVP Dakari Johnson. However, rookie guard Alex Caruso has stood as the heart and soul of an elite D-League squad by averaging 11.8 points, 3.9 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 2.1 steals on 46% from the field and 40% from beyond the arc in 3 perimeter attempts per game. While most people would focus on those great facilitating or perimeter shooting numbers, Caruso's biggest impact comes from his work as an elite perimeter defender.

His status as a great perimeter defender is shown by him averaging 2.1 steals per game, which stands out as one of the highest averages in the D-League. As those numbers might tell you, Caruso has shined as a tenacious on-ball defender that constantly looks to pick the pockets of his opposing guard. Caruso's defensive aggression has earned the respect of everyone on the OKC Blue which includes the aforementioned Dakari Johnson."he's really been best our defender as he gets over screens and is always in the right position in help defense," Johnson told Ridiculous Upside. "Caruso's also very vocal on the defensive end".

By now you should know that Alex doesn't back down from anyone and he will fight you tooth and nail for the ball and is exhibiting the same leadership characteristics that made him an underrated SEC player.

It's a tough climb there's no doubt, but if there's anyone that can make that climb, it's Caruso.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
tonite 7:30 espn
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
CactusThomas
AG
Alex should be starting. Who is this Ball clown?
CactusThomas
AG
AC is in!
zooguy96
AC with a nice pass that dude fumbles away.
CactusThomas
AG
Nice steal!
CactusThomas
AG
Alonzo Bell checks in for Alex.

Alex played with a lot of energy and confidence. He looked comfortable with the ball. Put up a couple bad shots but made some passes, drew a charge and got a steal.
West Texan
AG
If Caruso could shoot at all, he'd be an NBA player. So good defensively.
zooguy96
Lonzo Ball's jump shot form sucks.
Scar Tissue
AG
ESPN and their Lonzo/Lavar Ball hype is ridiculous.
zooguy96
Scar Tissue said:

ESPN and their Lonzo/Lavar Ball hype is ridiculous.

This. Lavar Ball is a certifiable idiot.
zooguy96
I hope Lonzo Ball sucks this year. Wasn't he the 2nd pick and he sucks this much?
zooguy96
Why do they keep on saying AC led the Big 12 in assists when he didn't play there.

Idiots.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Alex Caruso comes in for a couple of minutes at the end of the 3rd quarter.

- Gets fouled twice going to the basket and goes 4-4 from the free throw line.
- On fast break makes a nice pass play that leads to an easy dunk.
zooguy96
AC has made some nice passes. The post has hands of stone. Keeps fumbling them.
Scar Tissue
AG
How is it possible that the Lakers lost with the great Lonzo Ball?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ball was 2-15, 1-11 from behind the arc.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Alex Caruso comes in for a couple of minutes at the end of the 3rd quarter.

- Gets fouled twice going to the basket and goes 4-4 from the free throw line.
- On fast break makes a nice pass play that leads to an easy dunk.

Here is a video clip of the fast break pass play that I mentioned above. I kept watching a little bit longer into the 4th quarter as Caruso was still in the game. He didn't play as well starting the 4th as he had late in the 3rd. Had about 3 turnovers (one of which was a pretty bad cross court pass attempt that was easily picked off) and missed both his shot attempts.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Caruso only got 5 minutes in second summer league game.
Aston04
AG
Can't fill up the basket in the summer= no NBA roster at guard.

Needs to go Euro or Asia. Make as money as possible for his window.
Method Man
Agreed
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aston04 said:

Can't fill up the basket in the summer= no NBA roster at guard.

Needs to go Euro or Asia. Make as money as possible for his window.

Caruso talked about that awhile back in an interview. He said that he could make money overseas but that once you take that route, you pretty much go off the NBA radar. Out of sight out of mind.

So I don't think you will see him make that move unless he has more or less given up on an NBA dream.
Method Man
Hes living out his dream and if his dream is to play in the NBA screw the money.
TopoTacos
AG
He should be in the running for a D-league contract again this year, hopefully he'll get somewhere that will improve his jumper. If he could work with a coaching staff like the Spurs I could definitely see him as the 3rd guard on a roster.
Aston04
AG
Don't see it in the cards, but wish him the best .Hope to be proved wrong.
jja79
AG
He's made two 3 pointers tonight but wow is this bad basketball.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.