Robert Williams projected at five in 2018

8,408 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheAngelFlight
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If y'all wanna talk about DJ Hogg start your Dj Hogg thread JK lol
_lefraud_
AG
jja79 said:

Saw a story about all the people at his draft party last night. I doubt you'd have a party while hoping not to be drafted.

They were obviously there to celebrate him NOT getting drafted, you know, so he could sign with whomever he wanted!
_lefraud_
AG
As for "trying not to get drafted". This is a pretty risky play in a lot of different ways. If the word around the league is that a player is hoping to go undrafted, I'm sure teams would really excited about adding said play per free agency. Also, the player better be damn good to hope to sign, while not being drafted. But if the player is damn good, wouldn't he be drafted?

I'd like to find the guys who regret being drafted, as opposed to the guys "trying not to get drafted".
mdanyc03
AG
_lefraud_ said:

As for "trying not to get drafted". This is a pretty risky play in a lot of different ways. If the word around the league is that a player is hoping to go undrafted, I'm sure teams would really excited about adding said play per free agency. Also, the player better be damn good to hope to sign, while not being drafted. But if the player is damn good, wouldn't he be drafted?

I'd like to find the guys who regret being drafted, as opposed to the guys "trying not to get drafted".
If you are a mid to late 2nd round draft pick you probably aren't getting a full roster spot and hence full NBA salary. They have a couple of roster spots they can use for draft and stash. So they sign you, put you in the D League and if they need you (somebody gets hurt) then you get called up. You earn D League salary ($75,000 or whatever) while you are in the D League and an NBA minimum salary (pro rata) when/ if you get called up.

If you don't get drafted you can go to the D League and you are available to anybody. So if you play well, then the first team that needs and wants you can sign you and up you go.

In either case you are fighting for a fringe roster spot but lots of guys eventually break through and become NBA regulars.

And lots of guys leave school knowing they aren't going to get a full roster spot right away but willing to do the D League thing. I don't think it is particularly "risky".
mdanyc03
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/04/27/d-league-salaries-two-way-contracts-increase-nba-draft-early-entries/amp/
StanGundy
Hogg leaving after this year whether he averages 3 points or 30. Done deal.
Aston04
AG
DJ is about ready for the league. All he has to improve is more consistent shooting, shooting off the dribble, ball handling skills, getting to the hoop, and his defense.
Pumpkinhead
AG
It is easy to see why Hogg is mentioned as a potential NBA prospect. He has excellent height and length for a wing (6'9"), his shot mechanics are good, he can dribble pretty well and is a pretty good passer. I have also read articles where he apparently impressed some NBA scouts with play vs other high level talent in summer league stuff, plus he has shown flashes in D1 games. There are enough pieces there that you can see why NBA guys might be taking a close look at him.

It is also easy to see why he might not get drafted, due to inconsistent play, not really great at creating his own shot, and while He does not seem like a bad athlete there isn't anything about his athleticism that wows you. Also he doesn't have any serious character questions (that I am aware of), but there have been times where you have to question his 'motor'. He can often look like he is just kind of on cruise control out there.

We will see what happens a year from now on draft night. Obviously it would be great for us if he plays well enough next season to cement a draft pick.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

GE said:

Really hope DJ doesn't leave. Would love to see what can happen when he, Admon, and Davis can do as seniors.
I sort of hope he does leave because it means we probably had an awesome year.

Yep. And hopefully Savion Flagg is the stud that he seems to be and would just move right into a starting role on the wing as a sophomore. That is how optimally we should cross our fingers on how things work out.
_lefraud_
AG
That all sounds really attractive for some players. But again, the risk is that you are not a good enough player to receive the higher paying salary and/or get called up eventually. I can see how attractive the G-League looks for young college kids, but what happens when they are no longer in that 3 year window? These guys will hit 25, and be replaced by other young college kids. Sure, they can go oversees and make some money playing basketball. But what about when that runs it's course? 10-15 years out of college, and still have 20+ years of work ahead of you, probably without a degree.
jml2621
bobinator said:

I'd guess over, as in he'll be picked after five

Weaker draft. I'll take #3.
jml2621

I hope DJ blows up, helps take us to a Sweet 16 or better, gets drafted, and makes some coin.
Aston04
AG
My guess is with the vast majority of these guys- ego alone pushes them to prefer to be drafted, even if late.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

bobinator said:

GE said:

Really hope DJ doesn't leave. Would love to see what can happen when he, Admon, and Davis can do as seniors.
I sort of hope he does leave because it means we probably had an awesome year.

Yep. And hopefully Savion Flagg is the stud that he seems to be and would just move right into a starting role on the wing as a sophomore. That is how optimally we should cross our fingers on how things work out.

If DJ is really motivated to turn his game around from last year, it's going to make Flagg that much better - b/c of practice. I still think Flagg can contribute > 10 min a game with quality minutes this year. Flagg, RW, Gilder, Starks on the court together is incredibly athletic.
PJYoung
AG
https://twitter.com/i/moments/885987816731271168

jml2621
Duke is emerging as the Bagley favorite.

RW currently projected 6 above Wendell Carter. I think he's Top 5 material, even if Bagley enters fray.
BrandoC
AG
DJ couldn't hit the side of a barn last year. I mean go ahead if that is what he wants.....
mgmgrand
AG
If you're 6'9", 20 yrs old with some ball handling skills, NBA range, athletic frame, etc...you are going to get NBA guys taking chances on you, regardless of what NCAA message board posters think about your productivity at their school.
Pumpkinhead
AG
A typical year....any D1 player that goes on to make money as a pro beat some tough odds.
Any D1 player that actually gets drafted to NBA team REALLY beat some tough odds.

[url=http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/mens-basketball][/url]
Pumpkinhead
AG
mgmgrand said:

If you're 6'9", 20 yrs old with some ball handling skills, NBA range, athletic frame, etc...you are going to get NBA guys taking chances on you, regardless of what NCAA message board posters think about your productivity at their school.
If the TexAgs message board opinions mattered to NBA decision makers, they would have pushed Alex Caruso overseas months ago to disappear forever in international basketball league obscurity.
CactusThomas
AG
At least he'd get to play on the same team as Middleton and Jordan.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

A typical year....any D1 player that goes on to make money as a pro beat some tough odds.
Any D1 player that actually gets drafted to NBA team REALLY beat some tough odds.

[url=http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/mens-basketball][/url]

I'd cut that number on the left in half. If we're talking about mid-to-high D-1 level and take out the Centenary's, Prairie Views, and Emporia States of D-1 basketball, you are probably looking at about 2000-2500 legit D-1 players. So I'd guess about 30% of this realistic talent pool goes on to some kind of pro ball.
TXAggie2011
AG
I understand the point but one of those three schools is Division 2 and another is Division 3 and the school in Division 1 just had a player sign a pro contract. They actually had at least two sign contracts during this last school year.
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I understand the point but one of those three schools is Division 2 and another is Division 3 and the school in Division 1 just had a player sign a pro contract. They actually had at least two sign contracts during this last school year.
And the high D-1's have 1-2 guys on scholarship that will never attempt to go pro. Since you are a stickler for details, let's switch out Arkansas-Pine Bluff for Centenary, and Alabama St. for Emporia St.
Serious Lee
mallen
AG
Per the NCAA, only 1.1% will have NBA careers. 19% will have professional careers (NBA plus minor leagues/international). I was surprised by the 19%. Thought it would be lower.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/estimated-probability-competing-professional-athletics
Hop
Staff
AG
mallen said:

Per the NCAA, only 1.1% will have NBA careers. 19% will have professional careers (NBA plus minor leagues/international). I was surprised by the 19%. Thought it would be lower.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/estimated-probability-competing-professional-athletics
There are tons of international leagues...a few of the bigger ones in Europe pay good money but most are pretty small. There's a league in Kazakhstan...that can't pay much.
TXAggie2011
AG
Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

And the high D-1's have 1-2 guys on scholarship that will never attempt to go pro. Since you are a stickler for details, let's switch out Arkansas-Pine Bluff for Centenary, and Alabama St. for Emporia St.
Take that stick out of your ass.
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I think your stick is in someone else's ass.
GE
AG
Lot of sodomy accusations being flung around rather loosely
TXAggie2011
AG
Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

At least when I look down I can see mine rather than just an overgrown belly.
jml2621
mgmgrand said:

Actually, they're not right now. If you are weak, a streaky shooter, poor handle, make TOs, and your shot is off, they you don't pass Go. Not that DJ isn't capable of turning it around and getting drafted by the NBA. He's just not on the draft express board at all now.

The NBA's a man's league. You can't be soft. Maybe Euroball
Know Your Enemy
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Your ass is on the front of your body?
GE
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

He's probably 15 years older than you. Just wait
TheAngelFlight
Junkhead said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Your ass is on the front of your body?

Are words not one your strengths, Junkhead?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.