Because it is offseason topics.......

2,185 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bobinator
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

#1) Is there any possible way we can get rid of yell leaders at basketball games? Please. Ive just never seen anything more odd in a basketball arena. Name one thing at ANY other school that is more odd. Dudes in white outfits...quieting down the crowd to do Farmer Fight yells...It's also amazing to watch the three yell leaders with arm around each other doing yells at the conference tourney for the 100 fans that are there.

It's terrific for football and makes our stadium and atmosphere fantstic....but basketball?!!??! Just like baseball.....the yell leaders dont make sense.

PLEASE let's get rid of them....PLEASE!

#2) How can we get a VIP, alcohol section for donors. We've got to figure out a way to make it worth the while for Houston and Dallas Ags (dont drink and drive)

#3) Why are we traditionally so bad at free throws???!?! I mean is there a rhyme or reason? mental toughness? technique?

Why us?

National Rank FT%
2017: 325
2016: 279
2015: 291
2014: 334
2013: 139
2012: 259
2011: 153
2010: 258
2009: 174

I mean all these good shooters and thats where we are?!?!?? Is Reed Arena cursed?
Is there some kind of curse put on our shooting from the tuxedo belly distraction?!?!?

bobinator
AG
1) Yell leaders are fine. Without them nothing would happen, which would be even worse than what's currently happening.

2) Why limit it to a VIP section? Hoops games are only two hours long, booze for everyone IMO

3) Great mystery of our time. Though part of it last year is that we sucked at getting fouled.
GE
AG
1. Disagree.
2. Agree enthusiastically
3. Recruit better free throw shooters
miller0926
AG
1. I hate the yell leaders too. Coming from someone who sat in the front row for 4 years, the little group that would show up in the spring semester (trying out to be next year's yell leaders) were extremely clueless when it came to college hoops and would try to kick us out of "their spots"... but I do agree with what bobinator said.

2. I don't drink

3. Still can't believe Anthony Collins missed those 2 at Bama 2 seasons ago.

BONUS
4. Anyone else seriously considering going to KU game and know what section y'all might try to buy tickets in?
DeangeloVickers
AG
I am for sure going to Kansas. I'll just be glad to be in building.
DeangeloVickers
AG
How can you say nothing would get done without yell leaders?!?! No one else needs em.
Expert Analysis
AG
Because too many of our fans are more concerned with not being like other schools than they are with having a good time and cheering for the team.
CactusThomas
AG
1. No thanks
2. No thanks
3. No idea
deh40
AG
Absolutely get rid of yell leaders. Reed needs its own environment like Olsen.
bobinator
AG
deh40 said:

Absolutely get rid of yell leaders. Reed needs its own environment like Olsen.
I talked about this on another thread, but the yell leaders can actually help with that as long as students who want to create that environment (like the Rowdies officers) are willing to sit down and talk with them before the season.

Back in the BCG days, if we had something planned for an opposing player (like the PJ Tucker book drive and chanting 'stu-pid' every time he touched the ball) we'd tell them in advance and they'd let us do our thing. We also came up with some new yells and chants that we tried with varying degrees of success but by using the yell leaders you already have a built in system to do that.

So as long as everyone is willing to work together, the yell leaders can actually help build a unique environment because people are already used to watching them for cues.

But obviously the biggest thing for Reed's atmosphere is just being good for more than one year. We've had one good year in the last five so there's no environment to curate. We're consistently good in baseball.
GE
AG
Spot on bob.
alamoaggie 64
I am tired of nothing but "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" the entire game.
Method Man
People shoot better at Reed from the FT line than at their own stadiums. Rowdies help players shoot FTs.
CactusThomas
AG
You have also pointed out that we shoot worse at home and that it is the rowdys fault.

We shoot better on the road - rowdys fault.
Other teams shoot better on the road - rowdys fault.

Not buying it.
bobinator
AG
There weren't enough students at really any game last year to affect the sight lines for free throw shooters. Unless you're doing something insanely distracting, the only area that really matters is the area the player would see through the backboard, which is pretty high up.

I do think the lack of noise hurts our own free throw shooting at Reed. We've been jokingly saying for years we need some of those rain sticks or for students to hum or something while we're shooting. It's way too quiet.
Method Man
This is going back to Turgeon era.
Method Man
CactusThomas said:

You have also pointed out that we shoot worse at home and that it is the rowdys fault.

We shoot better on the road - rowdys fault.
Other teams shoot better on the road - rowdys fault.

Not buying it.

Reed is a FT advantage for other team.
bobinator
AG
Do you have any data to back that up or is that just anecdotally? I know we always seem to shoot FTs better on the road than at home but I haven't run the numbers on that. Do other teams shoot better at Reed than they do everywhere else?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.