4 years probation for louisville

3,865 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WildcatAg
bingram1230
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very interesting, any thoughts. What do you think will happen to UNC?
bobinator
AG
The same thing that effectively happened to Louisville, nothing.

There's absolutely zero incentive not to cheat like hell in college sports.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They may have that 2013 national title stripped from them. It sounds like they have a list of ineligible players from 2011-2014, and the NCAA has asked them to confirm which games those players participated in.
Olsen
AG
Pitino should pull a Pete Carroll at any moment now.
bobinator
AG
Does anyone really care if the NCAA strips a title from you?
bingram1230
AG
Not really because everyone still knows that they won that game 4 years ago.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, exactly. This is a non-punishment. If they want to punish them then say they'll be ineligible for the postseason for the next two years if Pitino is still the coach.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Stripping wins/titles is not a punishment.

Stripping scholarships and taking away post-season eligibility for future season(s) would be a real punishment. Louisville of course did already sit out one post-season to try to avoid getting harsher penalties.

Belton Ag
AG
Pitino gets off with a slap on the wrist. When this news first broke a couple years ago Pitino went around and gave interviews about it saying he had no idea this was going on and it came as a shock when he found out. According to him it was all masterminded by this McGee guy without anyone's knowledge and without anyone putting him up to it and that somehow all of this went on and was kept completely on the down low, so much so that Pitino never even got wind of it.

Makes me sad that nobody called Pitino on his bull**** in the interviews and that he suffers virtually no consequences for lying like that.
bobinator
AG
To me it doesn't matter if he knew or not. If he didn't know, he should have, and the punishment should be the same.
MarcAg
AG
You do all this and if you get caught you have to miss 5 games. Seems like the reward is certainly worth the risk. 5 games, who cares
Belton Ag
AG
bobinator said:

To me it doesn't matter if he knew or not. If he didn't know, he should have, and the punishment should be the same.
I agree with you obviously but it's extra irritating to me that he publicly lied about it and the NCAA apparently accepted his narrative that he didn't know. It's really no different in my mind than Roger Clemens and his constant public denials about steroids.
Method Man
bobinator said:

Scar Tissue
AG
Pitino says he is going to appeal the punishment the NCAA assessed. Really? What punishment?
bingram1230
AG
Makes me wonder what UNC will get, or ole miss in football, as a penalty. I don't know why I feel this way, but say if this was A&M football or basketball instead of Louisville I feel we would get destroyed by the NCAA. Maybe I'm overthinking it...
bobinator
AG
We wouldn't. Nobody gets destroyed by the NCAA anymore as long as they play along once they get caught. Ole Miss might be in some trouble because they seem to be denying everything, which is when the NCAA tends to crack down.

If the NCAA can prove you lied to them, then you're actually in trouble. Otherwise you throw some low level staffer under the bus, pretend nobody knew anything, MAYBE ban yourself from one postseason, and you're good to go.

txag72
AG
Quote:

We wouldn't. Nobody gets destroyed by the NCAA anymore as long as they play along once they get caught.
Nobody was punished for stuff up until the 80's either until the wrong team's ox was gored....SMU, Houston, Oklahoma, A&M. Hmmm, who is missing from the list?
Hop
Staff
AG
There would be teeth to this punishment had the NCAA specified which years Louisville loses scholarships as opposed to allowing them to manage the roster over a 4-5 year period to basically bury the losses over a long time.

DannyDuberstein
AG
The NCAA should be handing out one year scholarship death penalties on some of these big offenses, i.e. you can keep playing the sport and your existing athletes can stay on schollie, but you will get 0 new scholarships to issue for a certain year. That is a real penalty that stings and will stay with you for several years.
bobinator
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The NCAA should be handing out one year scholarship death penalties on some of these big offenses, i.e. you can keep playing the sport and your existing athletes can stay on schollie, but you will get 0 new scholarships to issue for a certain year. That is a real penalty that stings and will stay with you for several years.
I like this penalty idea also.
Belton Ag
AG
bobinator said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I like this penalty idea also.
That would be significant. Imagine if they had that penalty available to use against Ole Miss in football, no SEC team would have to worry about Ole Miss on the recruiting trail for a full recruiting cycle. That sends a message without punishing those players already on scholarship who had nothing to do with the infractions.
bobinator
AG
I mean it does punish the people currently on scholarship some because their team is probably going to suck, but it doesn't punish them in the sense that can't keep playing or anything.

But I like it.
AggieOO
bobinator said:

I mean it does punish the people currently on scholarship some because their team is probably going to suck, but it doesn't punish them in the sense that can't keep playing or anything.

But I like it.
In a weird way, it might help recruiting the following year. "Hey Mr. Freshman badass. You want immediate playing time? Come to our school. We still have good players from when we cheated, and we didn't recruit anyone last year. You can play immediately"
mikesyracuse1
Saw this earlier today.

Retweeted Alan (@DerbyWill):

The Cardinals are Red/
And the Tar Heels are Blue/
Louisville is losing their Banner/
And Carolina should too!
mikesyracuse1
Still defiant!

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/john-clay/article156398574.html

Mikesyracuse1

jml2621
bobinator said:

Louisville is going to lose the 2013 banner.
jml2621
bobinator said:

Does anyone really care if the NCAA strips a title from you?

Yes. Every Walmart and diehard fan at UNC does.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

Stripping wins/titles is not a punishment.

Stripping scholarships and taking away post-season eligibility for future season(s) would be a real punishment. Louisville of course did already sit out one post-season to try to avoid getting harsher penalties.

The hell it's not.

I think Pitino got off light...but losing the 2013 banner is huge. USC can't claim their 2004 NC. Massive black eye.

UNC is all about the banners. More than their academics. More than their reputation.
jml2621
mikesyracuse1 said:

Saw this earlier today.

Retweeted Alan (@DerbyWill):

The Cardinals are Red/
And the Tar Heels are Blue/
Louisville is losing their Banner/
And Carolina should too!

Well played.
WildcatAg
AG
These types of situations always bring out the best in Rick Pitino and his press conference yesterday was no exception. Did you know the NCAA gave Jimmy V cancer?
Quote:

"I'll finish up with this story. I once saw Jimmy Valvano, and this was way before he got sick and I recommended him for a pro job and he was coaching some tough times at NC State. I saw him later on when he was just getting sick and I said, 'Jim, how do you feel?' And he said, 'You know, the NCAA investigation broke down my immune system.'
To his credit, Rick did manage to avoid bringing up 9/11 or Ted Kennedy's death so I guess he's getting better.
Belton Ag
AG
WildcatAg said:

These types of situations always bring out the best in Rick Pitino and his press conference yesterday was no exception. Did you know the NCAA gave Jimmy V cancer?
Quote:

"I'll finish up with this story. I once saw Jimmy Valvano, and this was way before he got sick and I recommended him for a pro job and he was coaching some tough times at NC State. I saw him later on when he was just getting sick and I said, 'Jim, how do you feel?' And he said, 'You know, the NCAA investigation broke down my immune system.'
To his credit, Rick did manage to avoid bringing up 9/11 or Ted Kennedy's death so I guess he's getting better.
Pitino is a disgusting individual and a stain on the college basketball community.
wacarnolds
AG
Ben Diamond assured me nothing would come of this witch hunt
Method Man
wacarnolds said:

Ben Diamond assured me nothing would come of this witch hunt

He's having a rough time with this.
mikesyracuse1
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

There would be teeth to this punishment had the NCAA specified which years Louisville loses scholarships as opposed to allowing them to manage the roster over a 4-5 year period to basically bury the losses over a long time.

Also, the NCAA should mandate that lost athletic scholarships be transferred somehow to scholarships for non-athletes; as it is now, they are just gone and no students (athletes or not) benefit from them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.