Forward look at the roster - where are the holes?

5,046 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jnocar
mdanyc03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Wilson should play less than Starks, but BK seems enamored by Sr transfers.
I'd be interested in a justification for this statement.

Duane Wilson was a more highly regarded recruit than TJ Starks, by a considerable margin, four years ago. There is a chance that Starks could surprise and be a better player than Duane Wilson four years from now. I think it is a major stretch to think that he will be a better player this year.

It could happen, Starks could even be an instant star. Stranger things have happened. But I don't think there is any reasonable basis for anybody to expect or assume that right now.
CapCityAg89
AG
bobinator said:

This year it really comes down to how good the freshman guards are. We're going to be as good as they are.

At least, from a roster standpoint. The rest will be up to our coaching staff.

Tremendous troll. Fantastic.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Your posts are always worded very oddly
can rarely figure out what he's trying to say
Gil Renard
AG
BrazosBull said:

The holes may be found in the empty seats in the crowd . These athletes need crowd support ......
mhayden
Put out a Top 15 team and the support will be there.

Just seemed like an odd time to raise ticket prices -- there's not going to be a ton of preseason support for this team just because Robert Williams is returning... and those early season tournaments are going to make or break non-conference attendance... We should be a Top 20 team, but there's a good chance with our schedule we really don't show it until conference play so attendance will suffer.
GE
AG
free_mhayden said:

Put out a Top 15 team and the support will be there.

Just seemed like an odd time to raise ticket prices -- there's not going to be a ton of preseason support for this team just because Robert Williams is returning... and those early season tournaments are going to make or break non-conference attendance... We should be a Top 20 team, but there's a good chance with our schedule we really don't show it until conference play so attendance will suffer.
I agree.
GE
AG
West Virginia could seriously jumpstart fan support
Ulrich
GE said:

West Virginia could seriously jumpstart fan support

... so bet the farm on West Virginia then?
jml2621
GE said:

jml2621 said:

2017/2018:
PG: JJ Caldwell (RS Fr), TJ Starks (Fr). Duane Wilson (Sr),
SG: Admon Gilder (Jr), TJ Starks (Fr) Jay Jay Chandler (Fr)
SF: DJ Hogg (Jr), Savion Flagg (Fr), Tonny Trocha (Sr),
PF: Robert Williams (So), Tonny Trocha (Sr), John Walker (Fr)
C: Tyler Davis (Jr), Robert Williams (So), Isiah Jasey (Fr)

italics - probably not in regular rotation. Top 10 is really solid.

I agree with this for the most part. Best 2 out of Chandler, Starks, and Wilson are in the primary rotation. Would like to also be able to work a fourth post guy in just to get some experience for one of the fish.

Oh and that starting line is salty. Really, really good.

Yes it is.

BK thinks in the opposite direction, but I'd rather give Starks minutes and develop him over the season than play a lot of Wilson, who is gone after next year. He's an insurance policy in case Caldwell is not ready.

jml2621
Hop said:

Many of you are discounting Wilson. He was considered the best defender on his team last year, and he has some offensive skills. But this team will need a veteran defensive stopper because freshmen typically don't have the same defensive intensity.

The advanced stat numbers don't bear out that Wilson was a really good team perimeter defender. Marquette was 278, 256, and 148 defending the 3 while Wilson started. The Steal % was OK, but just over half of Caruso's # and lower than Gilder.

Dosen't turn it over a lot, but doesn't cause a lot of TOs.

Wilson only played 38% of available min last year. shot 29% from 3FG. If he was an elite defender, Wojo would have played him a lot more. Defense comes first in the Duke family tree, especially perimeter D.

In my view he's an insurance policy, and remain skeptical that he should play 20 min/game. I'm sure BK will play him quite a bit, and it could slow Caldwell and Starks' development.
jml2621
mdanyc03 said:

Quote:

I'd be interested in a justification for this statement.

Duane Wilson was a more highly regarded recruit than TJ Starks, by a considerable margin, four years ago. There is a chance that Starks could surprise and be a better player than Duane Wilson four years from now. I think it is a major stretch to think that he will be a better player this year.

It could happen, Starks could even be an instant star. Stranger things have happened. But I don't think there is any reasonable basis for anybody to expect or assume that right now.

The question you pose - is a 50-100 player much better than Top 150? Outside the top 50, ratings aren't as precise. Wilson is solid and has experience. He's just not an elite player.

If Caldwell falters, Wilson is there as insurance. We had no Plan B when Hampton struggled to adjust fromLipscomb's game to high D-1. If Caldwell is as advertised, I'd rather see Starks get some minutes and develop. I think he's a little undervalued. Has greater size and length than Wilson. There are some intangibles in his game: handle, toughness, ability to create his shot, lateral quickness that I like. I see a bit of court generalship out there. He takes too many guarded 2s, but the lefty has a nice high arcing shot and good mechanics. Gotta watch the leaning.

Wilson's not a great shooter. We need threats to reduce the double team, and open the floor for dribble drive as well.

Where Wilson can help the PGs is in PRACTICE, team first, and leadership. He can contribute during games and reduce mental lapses. I think we have the talent to finish 3rd in the league and make a decent NCAA run. Wilson can serve as a mentor to get the team ready for March.
GE
AG
jml2621 said:

GE said:

jml2621 said:

2017/2018:
PG: JJ Caldwell (RS Fr), TJ Starks (Fr). Duane Wilson (Sr),
SG: Admon Gilder (Jr), TJ Starks (Fr) Jay Jay Chandler (Fr)
SF: DJ Hogg (Jr), Savion Flagg (Fr), Tonny Trocha (Sr),
PF: Robert Williams (So), Tonny Trocha (Sr), John Walker (Fr)
C: Tyler Davis (Jr), Robert Williams (So), Isiah Jasey (Fr)

italics - probably not in regular rotation. Top 10 is really solid.

I agree with this for the most part. Best 2 out of Chandler, Starks, and Wilson are in the primary rotation. Would like to also be able to work a fourth post guy in just to get some experience for one of the fish.

Oh and that starting line is salty. Really, really good.
Yes it is.

BK thinks in the opposite direction, but I'd rather give Starks minutes and develop him over the season than play a lot of Wilson, who is gone after next year. He's an insurance policy in case Caldwell is not ready.
I look at this as one of those peak years that you play people who give you the best chance of winning this season without regard to the future. That being said, I think that playing Starks and Chandler legitimate minutes early in the season will provide benefits at the end of the year over what playing Wilson would do.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
To say that playing Wilson would slow down the development of two freshman point guards who are going to be for at least 3 years minimum is silly.
greg.w.h
AG
Based on recent history, it's more of BK giving up PT to a senior that is out of eligibility in lieu of PT that helps a younger player actually feel it's worth staying with the program. I credit BK for bringing in graduate transfer leadership at the 1 because literally any experience allowed imagining Admon would get spelled from Load of carrying the entire team this past season.

Bringing one in and suggesting redshirting a player that already had been on the court and all that implies was heartbreaking to watch no matter the reasons. I doubt that will be a problem is our incoming guards earn time on the floor. It would be a huge problem if one or more transfer though. That might happen if Wilson gets 90% of the PT or possibly if Gilder and Wilson split the 1 duties. We all would be pretty disappointed if that happened, I believe, and none of us are competing for PT.
GE
AG
I'm with Bob.
jnocar
Bob - & I - are with none uve you!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.