Early Lunardi NCAA Tourney Bracket

2,502 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Craigy
Keller6Ag91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?src=desktop

No love for our Ags.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
mdanyc03
AG
To be fair to Lunardi, he doesn't pitch himself as a forecaster or talent evaluator. He just analyzes teams' resumes and projects seeding accordingly. He is looking at numbers, not watching film or scouting or anything like that. His off season bracketlogies are basically just the bracket from the year before with some minor regression to the long term mean.
Know Your Enemy
AG
To be fair to Lunardi, he pretty much sucks at his job. But he conned ESPN into paying him a large sum of money despite the stupid haircut and lack of actual relevant information he brings to the table so more power to him.
Method Man
Junkhead said:

To be fair to Lunardi, he pretty much sucks at his job. But he conned ESPN into paying him a large sum of money despite the stupid haircut and lack of actual relevant information he brings to the table so more power to him.

Nailed it. He's a little ****nerd that Doesn't know anything and didn't last year or the year before.
Keller6Ag91
AG
Low expectations to Final 4 is the shot in the arm this program needs.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Mikeyshooter
AG
He finished #40 out of 113 on bracket matrix. That's not horrible.
mdanyc03
AG
Method Man said:

Junkhead said:

Nailed it. He's a little ****nerd that Doesn't know anything and didn't last year or the year before.
I mean, sure. I am just saying that people should understand what he does. His job doesn't really require any knowledge of basketball. He was just one of the first nerds to quantify and publish the metrics that the selection committee uses to make a more educated guess about who would make the tournament. Now anybody can do that pretty easily but back in the day it was pretty useful and interesting.
LouisvilleAg
AG
Keller6Ag91 said:

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?src=desktop

No love for our Ags.

His job is to drive traffic to espn. He pumps the big teams until they no longer have a chance and then adjusts the last week so he is 66 out of 68.
bobinator
AG
Only thing noteworthy is that he's also working under the impression that Wichita can't play in Wichita. I hadn't seen that confirmed anywhere. If they end up as good as everyone thinks, we're going to have to be the best team in Texas/Oklahoma to get Dallas.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

He finished #40 out of 113 on bracket matrix. That's not horrible.

A true Bracketologist
GE
AG
bobinator said:

Only thing noteworthy is that he's also working under the impression that Wichita can't play in Wichita. I hadn't seen that confirmed anywhere. If they end up as good as everyone thinks, we're going to have to be the best team in Texas/Oklahoma to get Dallas.
Why do we have to be the best team in all of Texas/Oklahoma?
bobinator
AG
Well, I guess we could still end up in Dallas, but if you're not a top three seed then it's mostly luck of the draw. If you're a top three seed you can more or less control your own fate on where you end up.

Basically, everyone thinks Wichita is a top ten team next year, but they can't play at the Wichita site, so if we assume that they take one of the Dallas slots, then there's only one other slot. Though another wildcard is whether or not SMU can play in Dallas, I'm not sure on that one either.

Say Wichita is a 2, Baylor is a 3 and we're a 3 but we're also behind Baylor on the overall ranking, Wichita and Baylor would get the spots in Dallas and we'd get shipped to the next closest available one (and after Dallas they're all pretty far away.)

Mikeyshooter
AG
It appears that the Big 12 Conference is host for the Dallas site therefore SMU can be slotted there.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I also think they probably can, but I'm not sure on the exact rules of that. I think you can play in your same city as long as it's not your home venue and you're not the host school.

I'm still not completely sure that Wichita can't play in Wichita, but this bracket seems to indicate that Lunardi doesn't think they can.
Mikeyshooter
AG
The internet says Wichita is the host school. Therefore it must be true.

I know you can play in your host city as long as you aren't the host or haven't played a certain amount of games in that arena.

For example, Villanova was in Philly a few years back and I believe Pitt was in play for Pittsburgh back when they were good.
bobinator
AG
Wichita and the MVC are the hosts, but I'm not sure how that's going to work since Wichita is leaving the conference this summer... but yeah, I'm with you that I don't think Wichita can play in Wichita, but I think SMU can play in Dallas.
wacarnolds
AG
lolnardi
jml2621
Junkhead said:

Yep - he kind of invented what he does, but is one of the worst at it.
Uncle Jimbo
On paper, this is a tournament team, but it was last year, too.
CactusThomas
AG
Lol
eATMup-Reveille
We will be a #4 seed at worst. Mark it down.
wacarnolds
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

We will be a #4 seed at worst. Mark it down.

That should be the goal.
Craigy
Please file under.....You got ONE job,man
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.