We host Kentucky, Florida and Alabama

3,331 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bobinator
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not bad!

Texas A&M is slated to host Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Missouri and South Carolina in College Station while traveling to Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Missouri, Tennessee and Vanderbilt for road tilts. Times, dates and television information will be announced at a later date.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Not bad!

Texas A&M is slated to host Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Missouri and South Carolina in College Station while traveling to Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Missouri, Tennessee and Vanderbilt for road tilts. Times, dates and television information will be announced at a later date.
Home and Home
Kentucky
Alabama
Arkansas
Missouri
LSU

Home Only
Florida
Ole Miss
MSU
South Carolina

Away Only
Auburn
Georgia
Tennessee
Vandy

That's a pretty favorable schedule. All of the best teams will be visiting Reed, we don't have to travel to Florida, and the away-only teams are not particular great
wacarnolds
AG
The Kentucky matchup is a bit odd.

2013 - Home and away
2014 - Away only
2015 - Home only
2016 - Home only
2017 - Home and away
2018 - Home and away

Seems like we're playing home-and-homes more often than a natural rotation would imply, and we're definitely getting more home games than one would expect. 5 home games in 6 years against a non-permanent opponent, pure speculation, but maybe the SEC is throwing us a bone with the premiere school coming to Reed almost every year.
bobinator
AG
The part we didn't know is getting Kentucky and Alabama, two of the best teams in the league, twice. The rest rotates off of last year's schedule if I'm not mistaken, plus we get Arkansas, Missouri and LSU H&H every year.
bobinator
AG
How they decide the other two home and homes is still a mystery as far as I know.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

The part we didn't know is getting Kentucky and Alabama, two of the best teams in the league, twice. The rest rotates off of last year's schedule if I'm not mistaken, plus we get Arkansas, Missouri and LSU H&H every year.
Yeah Arkansas, LSU and Mizzou are permanent home and homes.

Starting 2 seasons ago, the other two home-and-homes were supposed to rotate through the remaining 10 teams.

2016 - MSU, Vandy
2017 - Kentucky, Vandy
2018 - Kentucky, Alabama
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

How they decide the other two home and homes is still a mystery as far as I know.
From an SEC press release prior to the the 2015-2016 season

Quote:

DESTIN, Fla. -- The Southeastern Conference has announced a men's basketball scheduling model beginning in 2015-16 that features three permanent opponents.

Each SEC team will play the other 13 teams at least one time during league play. They will then play their three permanent opponents a second time and the remaining two games will be scheduled on a rotating basis.
Definitely a generic statement that doesn't give any parameters for how the rotation is determined.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, on this "rotating basis" we've gotten Vandy in back to back years, and now Kentucky in back to back years. I guess we'll see if we get Alabama twice next year.

But who cares the reason why, it's awesome.

By Gary Parrish's preseason rankings we play:

1(N) - Arizona
2(A) - Kansas
5 (twice) - Kentucky
9 (A) - USC
10(H) - Florida
20 (twice) - Alabama
22 (N) - West Virginia

That's, uh, quite a schedule...
Wearamaskaggie
AG
That's a good slate! I don't see why everyone whines so much about marquee games before they even knew who we were playing at home, good ole texags for ya!
bobinator
AG
Ajm1115 said:

That's a good slate! I don't see why everyone whines so much about marquee games before they even knew who we were playing at home, good ole texags for ya!
Our non-con home slate is still garbage (presumably.)

Would be nice to give regular fans a reason to check out a game in person before 2018, but oh well, the usual crowd will all still be there.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Oh no doubt, but what i'm saying is that there was such a big stink without even knowing the conference home slate.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Ajm1115 said:

Our non-con home slate is still garbage (presumably.)

Would be nice to give regular fans a reason to check out a game in person before 2018, but oh well, the usual crowd will all still be there.
Fan attendance in late November and December seems often dicey anyways. Particularly with regards to student attendance.

Very tough schedule next season. It is the kind of schedule that will mercilessly beat a mediocre team into the ground and bury it.

A good team, on the other hand, it is the type of schedule that opens the door for you getting a really good seed in the NCAA tournament (like a 4-seed or better), if you can get your fair share of wins. Will be several chances on the schedule to build a strong resume.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
RPI will definitely not be a problem this year!
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Not bad!

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky may all be NCAA tournament teams. Miss State on paper seems like could be in position to breakout. And Missouri will give fans a chance to see the projected 2018 #1 NBA draft pick (Michael Porter Jr.) at Reed.

I don't see anything about LSU or Ole Miss that makes me think they will be very good.

South Carolina lost a hella of a lot. They look like will be in 'rebuild' mode next season.

bobinator
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Very tough schedule next season. It is the kind of schedule that will mercilessly beat a mediocre team into the ground and bury it.

I dunno, Vandy mostly rode their SOS (and three wins over Florida) to the tournament last year despite only really beating Iowa State out of conference. They went 7-6 in non-con.

So you can get "buried" by a tough non-con schedule but still survive it. Hell they had 15 losses and managed to lose to Missouri last year and they still weren't even on the bubble. They were a 9 seed.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Pumpkinhead said:

I dunno, Vandy mostly rode their SOS (and three wins over Florida) to the tournament last year despite only really beating Iowa State out of conference. They went 7-6 in non-con.

So you can get "buried" by a tough non-con schedule but still survive it. Hell they had 15 losses and managed to lose to Missouri last year and they still weren't even on the bubble. They were a 9 seed.
Does this 2017-2018 schedule potentially look like the toughest Men's hoops regular season schedule we have ever had? We will be able to better judge at the end of next season, but it *looks* like we may end up playing approximately 12 games versus NCAA tournament teams:

Kansas
Kentucky (twice)
Alabama (twice)
West Virginia
Florida
Oklahoma State
Arizona
USC Trojans
Arkansas (twice)

Look at that sucker...you got 4 games versus 'blue blood' types Kansas, Kentucky, and Arizona just to start with.

It seems tougher than any schedule at minimum since we have been in the SEC.
bobinator
AG
It depends on exactly how cupcake the cupcakes are and if the bottom of the SEC is decent, but without running the numbers you have to think it's got a chance for sure
greg.w.h
AG
wacarnolds said:

The Kentucky matchup is a bit odd.

2013 - Home and away
2014 - Away only
2015 - Home only
2016 - Home only
2017 - Home and away
2018 - Home and away

Seems like we're playing home-and-homes more often than a natural rotation would imply, and we're definitely getting more home games than one would expect. 5 home games in 6 years against a non-permanent opponent, pure speculation, but maybe the SEC is throwing us a bone with the premiere school coming to Reed almost every year.
Best teams should matchup every year if you want your eyeballs to increase.
wacarnolds
AG
greg.w.h said:

Best teams should matchup every year if you want your eyeballs to increase.
Are we still talking about A&M basketball?
Hop
Staff
AG
There's no question that the SEC office uses some of the leeway in the scheduling to match-up the projected best teams for TV purposes.
GE
AG
Hop said:

There's no question that the SEC office uses some of the leeway in the scheduling to match-up the projected best teams for TV purposes.
That's clearly the case. Doesn't seem entirely fair but being one of the teams getting to play Kentucky at home four years in a row can't say I'm too upset.
mhayden
GE said:

Hop said:

That's clearly the case. Doesn't seem entirely fair but being one of the teams getting to play Kentucky at home four years in a row can't say I'm too upset.

I think it's far more likely it's either that this was the return favor for having to play a road game in the SEC/B12 challenge, or simply blind luck (if you can call playing Kentucky lucky).

We've made the tournament one time in 6 years -- the SEC isn't tweaking any schedules because they know A&M/UK will be a battle year-in, year-out that draws massive # of eyeballs.
bobinator
AG
If they were gaming the matchups you'd think Kentucky would play Alabama twice also, but they don't.

It could just be totally random, who knows.
GE
AG
free_mhayden said:

GE said:

Hop said:

I think it's far more likely it's either that this was the return favor for having to play a road game in the SEC/B12 challenge, or simply blind luck (if you can call playing Kentucky lucky).

We've made the tournament one time in 6 years -- the SEC isn't tweaking any schedules because they know A&M/UK will be a battle year-in, year-out that draws massive # of eyeballs.
Fact is we have had some awesome battles with UK. I think something like half the games we have played against them in the SEC have gone to OT. Fair or not, I would imagine Kentucky is the team whose schedule is examined most closely and I don't believe it is merely a happy accident that it seems like we have gotten them at home more than any other school in the conference that isnt a permanent home and home.
bobinator
AG
It would be weird for Kentucky's other rotating home-and-home to be Missouri if they were gaming the matchups right?.

It might be more formulaic than we're giving it credit for, or it could be completely random. You can see the beginnings of a pattern in ours, rotating a team off every two years like AB, BC, CD, etc. But it doesn't hold for other schedules I looked at.
jml2621
Schedule Release Date.

This isn't about A&M. It's about Robert Williams. He's going to draw the camera, and on a big stage.

:pray he stays healthy. This was the wise move...vs. a year on the bus back and forth to Boise.

Great SoS. Exciting matchups. Man up and bring your A Game.
jml2621
Hop said:

Correct...this is all about eyes on the set. The SEC, ESPN, CBS are gambling that The Robert Williams Show is going to draw big numbers...and I think it will.

Freak athlete. Humble and well-spoken kid...and surrounded by a solid team on paper. Gilder and Davis are going to be really motivated to improve upon last year. Hogg definitely will be. Starks and/or Flagg could make an impact as Fish. Caldwell just has to be solid.
txag72
AG
Quote:

Does this 2017-2018 schedule potentially look like the toughest Men's hoops regular season schedule we have ever had? We will be able to better judge at the end of next season, but it *looks* like we may end up playing approximately 12 games versus NCAA tournament teams:

Kansas
Kentucky (twice)
Alabama (twice)
West Virginia
Florida
Oklahoma State
Arizona
USC Trojans
Arkansas (twice)

Look at that sucker...you got 4 games versus 'blue blood' types Kansas, Kentucky, and Arizona just to start with.

It seems tougher than any schedule at minimum since we have been in the SEC.
https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/2842945

Some people want every game to be a toss up or an Ag under-dog it seems.
bobinator
AG
Literally nobody said anything even close to that
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Literally nobody said anything even close to that
He's been posting from an alternate reality for years now
txag72
AG
"I'm not all that knowledgeable about their recruiting and returning players, but it doesn't look like a particularlly difficult schedule to me. "

"Truth."

"EKG1996 said:
We should make our non conference schedule as tough as possible.
WacArnold said:
Agree. Anything else that's on the table, we need to schedule."

"As will our home conference schedule since no Kentucky.
Really the home schedule next season all the way around is likely to be one of the worst in a long time."

"It would be nice if we could add a Houston or SMU to the home slate in the fall though."

Hop's response:
"Yeah, I don't know what is "meh" about two potential top 10 matchups(WVA, AZ), a top 25 matchup(USC), and at least one NCAA team(OSU) along w. a TBD against a Big 12 team that will be a Top 30-40. And the other game in Brooklyn against a P5 opponent.

That's a minimum of six quality non-conference games out of 12-13 possible...and likely three ranked teams....all away from home. That's pretty salty."

Reality.
bobinator
AG
None of those are "we shouldn't play any cupcakes"
txag72
AG
I never said anything about people saying we shouldn't play any cupcakes. I'm saying people were saying our schedule was too easy.
bobinator
AG
Again, nobody said that
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.