Getting more Ballers to A&M

3,106 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
RoyVal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
so after going to a few games last year (first time to Reed in a few years) it was painfully obvious that the atmosphere we have in College Station for basketball isn't great. I know I'm getting to be an old fart...but yell leaders and yells in a basketball game is the worst. My daughter and I sat court side for a women's game last year at the dance squad is great and actually pumping some music is great but it almost seemed forced.

I know the powers that be make these decisions, but in my opinion, if i'm a top recruit, especially from the Houston/Dallas area and I go to a recruiting trip to Reed, then go visit Texas or Oklahoma or OSU....now those places get it rocking during their games.

just my $0.02 which ain't even worth 1/2 of that!

totally random thoughts drinking coffee on a memorial day morning....
Matsui
AG
Got a newsletter ?
GE
AG
I've been to games at tu. Not impressed. Were you at the Baylor, Vandy, or Kentucky games a couple years ago?
bobinator
AG
Texas and OU games suck, and based on our recent recruiting I'd say our lack of atmosphere doesn't seem to matter.

I agree that there is a lot that could be done, but it doesn't seem to hurt our recruiting anyway
Method Man
Nope. Handlers/parents don't care about crowds. Outside of two seasons ago, any kid sending their kid to play for Kennedy ain't worried about product on court or crowds.
jml2621
Students need to be on the side...and harassing the opposing bench.
deh40
AG
RoyVal said:

so after going to a few games last year (first time to Reed in a few years) it was painfully obvious that the atmosphere we have in College Station for basketball isn't great. I know I'm getting to be an old fart...but yell leaders and yells in a basketball game is the worst. My daughter and I sat court side for a women's game last year at the dance squad is great and actually pumping some music is great but it almost seemed forced.

I know the powers that be make these decisions, but in my opinion, if i'm a top recruit, especially from the Houston/Dallas area and I go to a recruiting trip to Reed, then go visit Texas or Oklahoma or OSU....now those places get it rocking during their games.

just my $0.02 which ain't even worth 1/2 of that!

totally random thoughts drinking coffee on a memorial day morning....
I agree yell leaders at basketball games are terrible. Basketball needs its own environment like baseball.
bobinator
AG
The yell leaders are fine, they actually allow for some potential cool crowd things once people actually start consistently showing up. We have to be good for more than one year first though.
txag614
jml2621 said:

GE
AG
bobinator said:

The yell leaders are fine, they actually allow for some potential cool crowd things once people actually start consistently showing up. We have to be good for more than one year first though.
I'm with Bob on this one
jja79
AG
txag614 said:

jml2621 said:

Even when only 150 show up?
bobinator
AG
Back in the BCG/early Turge years the yell leaders and Rowdies would work together to come up with ideas and the yell leaders were always more than willing to let the crowd go if the Rowdies had something planned or try out new chants/yells that sort of thing. They didn't always work, but they were always willing to try new stuff.

But the fact that the entire student section is already used to to following their lead is actually a huge advantage when it comes to creating an atmosphere.

Admittedly, we didn't realize that going in back then, we were part of the "yell leaders at games sucks" crowd until we actually started working with them.
mdanyc03
AG
I just want to say how much I love this thread. Off season at its finest. The random capitalization is my favorite part. I also enjoy the use of "Ballers" and "old fart" and the description of attending a women's game.
Aston04
AG
Just need to get more creative with cheers they lead... Not sure chanting A-O-A-O Arm-eh Arm-eh! is doing anything for the fellas or the crowd, but I could be wrong.
PatAg
AG
Aston04 said:

Just need to get more creative with cheers they lead... Not sure chanting A-O-A-O Arm-eh Arm-eh! is doing anything for the fellas or the crowd, but I could be wrong.
I mean..thats a pretty standard "fall back" thing for a crowd to do at a college basketball game.
txag72
AG
Quote:

Students need to be in the gym, period, problem solved.
Belton Ag
AG
Aston04 said:

Wait, what if we all went O-A-O-A Arm-eh Arm-eh!?
gordo97
AG
I think the band should be playing death metal tunes while the student section screams KILL KILL KILL...... that will freak out the opponent fo sho!
Lance Uppercut
AG
When I was on campus, the Gillispie era basketball games were the most fun I had at sporting events. By the time conference rolled around people lined up early, were loud, and were hanging on every play. The difference is we were winning a ton of games and the team had a great identity. I thought things were picking up for our 2015-2016 run, but it's hard for the atmosphere to look good when there's nobody at the game.

I've been to games at Baylor, Texas, and OSU and the atmosphere wouldn't be the reason I chose to play basketball there.

jml2621
bobinator said:

Back in the BCG/early Turge years the yell leaders and Rowdies would work together to come up with ideas and the yell leaders were always more than willing to let the crowd go if the Rowdies had something planned or try out new chants/yells that sort of thing. They didn't always work, but they were always willing to try new stuff.

But the fact that the entire student section is already used to to following their lead is actually a huge advantage when it comes to creating an atmosphere.

Admittedly, we didn't realize that going in back then, we were part of the "yell leaders at games sucks" crowd until we actually started working with them.

I've found it better when students being the cheers, but you need a block of students to do that.

Back in the day, a person, group or cluster would spontaneously start a cheer or yell and the remainder would just pick it up if it worked in Cameron Indoor Stadium. For example, this is how the "airball" chant started at a Carolina - Duke game in 1979 where UNC played virtually the entire first half in the Four Corners - the score was 7-0 at halftime. Rich Yonakor got sick of standing around, and egged on by the crowd, threw up a brick that went over the bucket by 3-4 feet. Someone screamed out "That's a ***** airball." The crowd picked it up. The rest is history.

Pre-packaged cheers suck.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.