Who will JJ Caldwell have to be as good as for this team to be elite?

6,482 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bobinator
Serious Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ill always remember BJ for being a little peckerhead
Hank Mardukas
AG
Dash will always be the cookie monster
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

jml2621 said:

If Wilson is playing significant minutes, it's not a good thing re: elite team.
I will be a bit surprised if he doesn't play at least 15-20 minutes per game. He averaged about 16 minutes per game last season on a Marquette team that made the NCAA tournament. Everything that I read about him indicates that he is a VERY good lockdown perimeter defender, and he has tons of experience.

He played a key role for example helping shut down #1 ranked Villanova when Marquette upset Nova a few months ago in February. He has had some downs in his career but also has some decent skins on his wall as well. It seems like he'll probably be a top-8 guy in our rotation. I won't be surprised even if he is the starter for our first game vs. West Virginia, though it won't surprise me if it is Caldwell either.

Oh, no doubt Billy K will play Wilson excessively...and he will have that occasional very good game on D...but over the course pf a season, he's a 10 min guy to me that we should not invest heavily in. He's a "in case of emergency, break glass" guy. If there's a major injury to Caldwell or Starks OR if neither develops then we will see more Wilson.

If Wilson is playing 20 min or more a game, we're in trouble if the expectation is an Elite team. Advanced stats just don't lie. Steals and assists are lower than expected. On film he can dribble and pass. He's not consistent enough.

We'd be better off early in the season giving those extra minutes more to Starks and let him develop. Starks will be here in 2018...or hell, maybe not. It would be par for the course for BK to play Wilson too much and Chandler or Starks transfers after the season.

In the Marquette game, Wojo put Wilson in with a 1-3-1 zone, so it's not like he stole the game with MTM prowess. Remember, Nova usually doesn't have a strong inside presence, so they can defend with a single post. Having said that, wilson looks better than Hampton, except for his outside shot.

Given that BK ball depends upon getting steals, offensive boards, and a high % of 2FG (since we don't defend the 3 or shoot the 3 usually that well)...we're going to need to play MTM and depend more on athleticism.. Damon, Starks, Flagg,and of course RW provide athleticism needed to break games open.

Pumpkinhead
AG
This was a good recent article on Duane Wilson.

https://marquettewire.org/3968406/sports/wilson-evolves-from-volume-shooter-to-shutdown-defender/

Quote:

"This year we have so many shooters and different guys that are talented in many different ways offensively, and coach stressed that we need a defender and that was kind of right up my alley," Wilson said. "When he first got here he always mentioned I could be a great defender and he wanted me to eventually get to that point where I could be a two-way player. I feel like this year I really made that stride to be a lock down defender."

Wilson is posting a career-best 3.5 percent steal percentage despite often being tasked with the toughest defensive matchup. Though Wilson is just 6-foot-2, he frequently plays as a small forward, guarding wing players who are substantially bigger and stronger than him.

"It's just toughness and having heart," Wilson said. "With me it's just a pride thing, I hate when people score on me. I take that personally."

His effort hasn't gone unnoticed.

"Duane has showed how tough he is," Luke Fischer said. "He's our defensive stopper, he's the guy that we look to to always guard the best offensive player. The toughness he brings really elevates everyone else's play on the defensive end."

bobinator
AG
jml2621 said:

Given that BK ball depends upon getting steals, offensive boards, and a high % of 2FG (since we don't defend the 3 or shoot the 3 usually that well)...we're going to need to play MTM and depend more on athleticism.. Damon, Starks, Flagg,and of course RW provide athleticism needed to break games open.

Our defense definitely doesn't depend on getting steals. That's like the opposite of the goal of our defense most of the time. And under Kennedy we usually defend the three pretty well actually, though not in the way fans probably like to see us defend it.

It looks like guys are open a lot but usually there's a reason that particular guy is open. We're usually willing to let a guy who doesn't shoot a great percentage shoot them.

Now that we have good athletes on the perimeter again, I'd expect us to be quite good at defending the three.
GrayMatter
AG
Hop said:

jml2621 said:

If Wilson is playing significant minutes, it's not a good thing re: elite team.

Are you kidding? He's a defensive stopper and he's a senior. He can set the tone for how the guards will play defense. This was a very important piece added that won't show up in the offensive stats.
Especially if JJ has to go up against an elite defender like Wilson is claimed to be.
GrayMatter
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

This was a good recent article on Duane Wilson.

https://marquettewire.org/3968406/sports/wilson-evolves-from-volume-shooter-to-shutdown-defender/

Quote:

"This year we have so many shooters and different guys that are talented in many different ways offensively, and coach stressed that we need a defender and that was kind of right up my alley," Wilson said. "When he first got here he always mentioned I could be a great defender and he wanted me to eventually get to that point where I could be a two-way player. I feel like this year I really made that stride to be a lock down defender."

Wilson is posting a career-best 3.5 percent steal percentage despite often being tasked with the toughest defensive matchup. Though Wilson is just 6-foot-2, he frequently plays as a small forward, guarding wing players who are substantially bigger and stronger than him.

"It's just toughness and having heart," Wilson said. "With me it's just a pride thing, I hate when people score on me. I take that personally."

His effort hasn't gone unnoticed.

"Duane has showed how tough he is," Luke Fischer said. "He's our defensive stopper, he's the guy that we look to to always guard the best offensive player. The toughness he brings really elevates everyone else's play on the defensive end."

I'm all in if Wilson can be like D. Kirk.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
If Anthony Collins had Rob Williams I'm more than sure everyone's opinion on him would go up several notches. Of course he had his WTF moments, but he was an key cog in that season.
bobinator
AG
Anthony Collins is pretty underrated by our fans because he wasn't particularly good late in the year, but he was solid for most of the year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.