TJ starks and Tyler Davis already playing together

6,053 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
notjakefromstatefarm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Long video but do yourself a favor and watch it. TD, TJ, and I believe Admon were at this guy named Tyler relph's camp in Dallas recently. This video shows a couple of three on three games mixed with high school and college players with TD and TJ on the same team. It's nice to see them working hard on their own accord while also building chemistry.

TD was being TD with his advanced post skills but the star of the show was definitely TJ. He can handle the ball as well as shoot. His pull up jumper is lethal. I'm not saying he'll be all-sec or anything like that next year but don't sleep on him. I'm really excited for Aggie basketball.
mdanyc03
AG
For those who don't know, that is king McClure, one of Baylor's better perimeter defenders, who has no chance of guarding him there.
Method Man
GE
AG
Thanks for posting. Davis is looking pretty damn good and lean but I don't know who that poor kid guarding him is.

Hard to tell who the second best player on the court was. McClure can shoot a little bit but Starks has legit handles and can create space like nobody's business, especially for someone that young.
Craigy
I really hope the refs forget the "carrying violation" next year. It's very rarely called now but it looks like TJ does it nearly every possession. Thanks for posting
bobinator
AG
Yeah what I actually got most out of that was how good Tyler Davis looks physically.
bobinator
AG
I think that's Chris Harris who plays at UH. His name is listed on the YouTube description.
CypressAg09
AG
Starks' last couple plays... Damn!
Wearamaskaggie
AG
On that last layup he absolutely cooked his man with the in and out, good lord!!!
GE
AG
Obviously he's nowhere near that level, but I've watched that video twice and TJ's game and style of play most reminds me of Kyrie Irving.
Method Man
bobinator said:

I think that's Chris Harris who plays at UH. His name is listed on the YouTube description.

Former future Aggie?
wacarnolds
AG
Method Man said:

bobinator said:

Former future Aggie?
The guy guarding tyler does not look like the guy that was committed to A&M, signed with UH and ended up at San Jac. Much lighter complexion.

Black tank top in game 1 is 2018 PG Kennedy Milton
La Bamba
AG
TJ's talent is undeniable. Fantastic ball handler, very quick, and a very smooth shot. Excited for this young man.
wacarnolds
AG
La Bamba said:

TJ's talent is undeniable. Fantastic ball handler, very quick, and a very smooth shot. Excited for this young man.
His body control and ability to shoot of the dribble has been missing in Aggieland for a long time.
Hop
Staff
AG
People keep talking about Caldwell being the answer, but next year's team has 2-3 point guards to choose from...
TMartin
Would have liked to have seen TJ feed Davis more and move without the ball.
sincereag
After enduring PG "hell" last year it will definitely be a welcome sight to have several stud PG's.
Mikeyshooter
AG
TMartin said:

Would have liked to have seen TJ feed Davis more and move without the ball.

Not sure if serious...
jml2621
Thanks for the extended video!

TJ - great handle. Trick dribbles. Decent passer. Has a step back. His left handed shot has decent and consistent mechanical. Side to side mobility and can create space and a shot for himself. Given Caldwell is not a great outside shooter, we need another guy who can hit from the perimeter besides Admon and Hogg. We need to keep the double teams off Tyler and RW as much as possible, or make them PAY when they do.

If we can get steals, score off the semi-beak and hit 3s, the team could be special.

The kid is an asset. Made McClure look silly a couple of time. King has great range though, himself.

Tyler looks smoother and smoother.
TMartin
Yes, I'm serious. If you have two of the best post players in the country I prefer an inside out game versus fall back jumpers with a defender in your face..
OasisMan
AG
mdanyc03 said:

For those who don't know, that is king McClure, one of Baylor's better perimeter defenders, who has no chance of guarding him there.
3on3 youre pretty much iso every play, tough to defend that against someone that is quick
Mikeyshooter
AG
TMartin said:

Yes, I'm serious. If you have two of the best post players in the country I prefer an inside out game versus fall back jumpers with a defender in your face..

In a street ball game? 3 on 3? I'm pissed no one tried to take a charge.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I think there is a decent chance that we'll look back and find that Starks was a bit underrated per his recruiting rankings.

He finished as a 3-star #150 national on 247 composite, but there seems to be a lot of evidence from his play and what people have said about him that he is a legit 4-star Top-100 quality sort of recruit.

Seems a lot different than Caldwell. Both of those kids seem to have really good handles and quickness, and both got nice looking builds (put in the work in the weight room).

But while Caldwell is known for his passing, Starks seems to be thinking score all the way.

Posters who want a 'Go To' scorer...a guard who you can give the ball to at the end of the game and who can take guys off the dribble and create his own shot (either taking it to the rim or step back jumper)...and who wants to be THAT guy...Starks sure seems like he may potentially turn out to be one of those kind of players.
jml2621
Agree Starks looks like a 4*. He can and must pass. I'm a little concerned TJ will take too many long 2s while defended. But he's shown he can hit the step back 3...at least in these conditions.

Also when driving in the SEC, Starks has to be careful not to plow into the skyscrapers.

...and fercryinoutloud, we can't drag our man into the middle allowing the defender to double or triple RW like last season!

Pass and MOVE AWAY from the man with the ball in he middle!! Coaching and Prep were BAD last year.
Method Man
Hop said:

People keep talking about Caldwell being the answer, but next year's team has 2-3 point guards to choose from...

Who is the third one?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Transfer from Marquette or Jay Jay Chandler.

We can also use Admon in certain situations.
Method Man
Was looking for Hop's specific third one. I don't know what to think about Chandler. My friend said he's seen him play twice and wasn't impressed. He's athletic and looks good on film to me.
jml2621
Aggie09Derek said:

Chandler's a combo guard.

Wilson's an insurance policy. Marginal outside shot. Not a great FT shooter. Not a high assist rate. Solid defender. I'd rather develop Starks over the season.
Method Man
wacarnolds said:

Method Man said:

bobinator said:

Former future Aggie?
The guy guarding tyler does not look like the guy that was committed to A&M, signed with UH and ended up at San Jac. Much lighter complexion.

Black tank top in game 1 is 2018 PG Kennedy Milton

REalized that once I watched the video
aggiepres
That is Chris Harris from South Garland, he is only going to be a Junior next year. Coached against him his freshman year.
mdanyc03
AG
AggieTFA06
AG
mdanyc03 said:

With JJ Caldwell suspended, could we expect to see more of TJ Starks?
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
jml2621
AggieTFA06 said:

mdanyc03 said:

With JJ Caldwell suspended, could we expect to see more of TJ Starks?

YES. A lot. This may be a blessing in disguise for development and depth in league play and March.

jml2621
jml2621 said:

Aggie09Derek said:

Chandler's a combo guard.

Wilson's an insurance policy. Marginal outside shot. Not a great FT shooter. Not a high assist rate. Solid defender. I'd rather develop Starks over the season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.