A&M vs KU -- SEC/Big12 Challenge

4,225 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

Sounds like A&M pushed for this match-up as well.

The SEC/Big 12 somewhat determines the matchups based on how good they think the teams will be correct? To make sure the challenge is reasonably balanced with (hopefully) compelling games?

Them agreeing to this matchup seems to say that...uh yeah looking at our roster... they think we will be reasonably decent

Basically, they had A&M pegged for another road game. A&M folks were up in arms and demanded the Kansas game. Conferences checked with ESPN and they gave it the green light.

Are you hypothesizing or have you heard this is what happened?
I'm not hypothesizing.

So who were we going to play?

The way it was told to me, the conferences first inform schools if they are pegged for a home game or road game so they can fill out their schedules. Then the conferences work w ESPN to establish individual match-ups. A&M was very unhappy w being a road team for consecutive years and requested to play Kansas. The conference office checked w ESPN and they agreed to the match-up.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If you are going to play a road game, might as well be Kansas.

Road games are usually tough regardless so might as well have the highest reward possible.

Though Maybe I would have prefered @Baylor instead of @Kansas, because could perhaps get a better Aggie crowd. And Baylor would be a quality opponent.
bobinator
AG
In order I'd have prefered Texas home or away and then Baylor home or away, but after that Kansas is the obvious pick.

Can you imagine the crowd though if we had a decent run in non-con, like say we beat West Virginia but lose close ones to Arizona and USC, win that crap tournament in Brooklyn, then start conference strong with a couple of wins so maybe we're ranked somewhere in the 10s-20s or so and then had Texas coming to town on Saturday night...
jml2621
Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

The SEC/Big 12 somewhat determines the matchups based on how good they think the teams will be correct? To make sure the challenge is reasonably balanced with (hopefully) compelling games?

Them agreeing to this matchup seems to say that...uh yeah looking at our roster... they think we will be reasonably decent

Basically, they had A&M pegged for another road game. A&M folks were up in arms and demanded the Kansas game. Conferences checked with ESPN and they gave it the green light.

I'm not hypothesizing.

RW is going to get his wish. Lots of big time national airtime.

We have a lot of weapons. Indeed, we must be confident we won;'t be embarrassed.

I think we'll see Davis and Hogg make the strides/improvement we expected last year.
mhayden
Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

I'm not hypothesizing.

The way it was told to me, the conferences first inform schools if they are pegged for a home game or road game so they can fill out their schedules. Then the conferences work w ESPN to establish individual match-ups. A&M was very unhappy w being a road team for consecutive years and requested to play Kansas. The conference office checked w ESPN and they agreed to the match-up.

Ok. I get wanting to frame things in a positive manner, but it seems a little bit disingenuous from a journalism standpoint to state our AD "demanded" something and/or that ESPN thought so highly of A&M that they sent them to Lawrence when apparently the reality is that we requested Kansas because we got the shaft on no-home-game and ESPN said OK.
GE
AG
But who would win 1 on 1? Hop or Hayden?
greg.w.h
AG
I liked the WV game. I like the KU game. I am less thrilled with these games being away games. But I look forward to seeing where the team is at that point v. a traditionally very solid program. Best way to benchmark is against the best.
Hop
Staff
AG
free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

I'm not hypothesizing.

Ok. I get wanting to frame things in a positive manner, but it seems a little bit disingenuous from a journalism standpoint to state our AD "demanded" something and/or that ESPN thought so highly of A&M that they sent them to Lawrence when apparently the reality is that we requested Kansas because we got the shaft on no-home-game and ESPN said OK.

What the hell are you talking about? Your schtick is old. I posted exactly what I heard as a poster on this board. I have no idea what you are babbling about journalism and some "disingenuous" difference between "demanding" and "requesting". Geez...
Hop
Staff
AG
GE said:

He has officially jumped the shark.
mhayden
Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

I'm not hypothesizing.

What the hell are you talking about? Your schtick is old. I posted exactly what I heard as a poster on this board. I have no idea what you are babbling about journalism and some "disingenuous" difference between "demanding" and "requesting". Geez...

I can't help you if you don't understand the difference between demanding and requesting.

It's really very simple -- one mod has the story has we demanded to play Kansas because we got the shaft on having to play a road game.

Another mod has the story that ESPN thought so highly of Texas A&M's team this year that they decided to send us to Lawrence.

Those two stories aren't really congruent. One frames it like this was ESPN's plan all along, another frames it like we were thrown a bone because of the schedule screwing us. Then the follow-up reply (which changes a "demand" to a "request") further muddles the story.

I simply wanted to know which was the actual story or if both mods are just hypothesizing on how things went down. If you aren't/weren't very sure, then you should have just said so.
mhayden
GE said:

I'd outscore him by 40 but he'd claim the win because he left the basketball in far better condition for the next game.
GE
AG
I laughed.

I call winner.
bobinator
AG
I think they're both sort of true, but you're getting caught up in Hop's wording. A&M can't really demand anything in this, so "strongly request" is probably what it should say, then ESPN probably took it under consideration and decided A&M should be good enough to warrant the matchup. So they both think highly of us, and we really wanted them.

Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I think they're both sort of true, but you're getting caught up in Hop's wording. A&M can't really demand anything in this, so "strongly request" is probably what it should say, then ESPN probably took it under consideration and decided A&M should be good enough to warrant the matchup. So they both think highly of us, and we really wanted them.

Kentucky already had a regular non-con game scheduled vs. Kansas, so if you look at the on-paper matchups of who next to match up with the Jayhawks in the Challenge, I think Florida would first come to mind. And then maybe Alabama or Texas A&M who should be good teams and will have some high profile players.
jml2621

If the objective is to make the NCAAs and make any kind of run, we'll have to be tough and prepared. Any game between Kansas and A&M featuring RW is going to be a high profile game an gather high ratings.

Wish it could be here...but we left the Big 12.

Win Win. IMO
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.