A&M vs KU -- SEC/Big12 Challenge

4,226 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just announced we're playing Kansas @ the Phog on 1/27/18! Looks like our OOC schedule is pretty salty this year
wacarnolds
AG
sweet
Know Your Enemy
AG
I went to the Phog for our last game there. I may need to make a return trip for this one.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Just saw that Admon "liked" this. I like it too.

Hop
Staff
AG
Sounds like A&M pushed for this match-up as well.
Ag13
AG
Awesome...never had the chance to go in the Big 12 days. Will definitely look into going for this.
mhayden
Woulda been nice had they pushed for a home game since we've only played at Reed once in the now 4 times we've participated.
mhayden
Woulda been nice had they pushed for a home game since we've only played at Reed once in the now 4 times we've participated.
bobinator
AG
I imagine the fact that we're not at home played into who we get to play.

This will be the greatest road schedule in A&M history
mhayden
And likely the worst home schedule in A&M history.
Kdubya20
AG
Anyone know if the 12th man foundation will have an allotment of tickets to sell for this game? Trying to go, but I hear its very difficult to get tickets for KU home games.
bobinator
AG
free_mhayden said:

I dunno about in history, but yeah, it's going to be garbage.
bobinator
AG
No, there's not usually an "allotment" for away games. When we went I think we got tickets on StubHub.
miller0926
AG
Kdubya20 said:

Anyone know if the 12th man foundation will have an allotment of tickets to sell for this game? Trying to go, but I hear its very difficult to get tickets for KU home games.
It would be pretty cool if they offered a little package to season ticket holders. I know they've done it for LSU and Baylor in the past, but I highly doubt they will (nor can) do one for a program of this magnitude.
RoseRichAg01
GrayMatter
AG
Olsen
AG
Wow! I hope we give KU a great game unlike the UK road game from last season.
mhayden
bobinator said:

free_mhayden said:

I dunno about in history, but yeah, it's going to be garbage.

I guess the upside is, win a couple of the road games and take care of business at home and our RPI will look nice.
Mike Elko
AG
Exactly. It's cool to play at Phog again, but careful whatcha wish for...
bobinator
AG
Yeah our non-con RPI is going to be crazy. Based on Gary Parrish's Top 25 (and one) we play teams:

1 (technically N)
@2
@9
22 (VERY N)
GE
AG
bobinator said:

No, there's not usually an "allotment" for away games. When we went I think we got tickets on StubHub.
i wouldn't be that surprised if there was an official allotment due to the nature of the B12/SEC challenge.
miller0926
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah our non-con RPI is going to be crazy. Based on Gary Parrish's Top 25 (and one) we play teams:

1 (technically N)
@2
@9
22 (VERY N)

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothsteins-cbb-top-25-2017-18-may-edition/

Just saw this top 25:

2 (neutral but pretty much away)
@3
4 is Kentucky
@8
10 (in Germany)

and he has us #20
bobinator
AG
Yeah I was just doing non-con but Florida and Kentucky will both be in or near the top ten also.
Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

Well get that new RV you have always wanted and get to moving!
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

The SEC/Big 12 somewhat determines the matchups based on how good they think the teams will be correct? To make sure the challenge is reasonably balanced with (hopefully) compelling games?

Them agreeing to this matchup seems to say that...uh yeah looking at our roster... they think we will be reasonably decent
bobinator
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

The SEC/Big 12 somewhat determines the matchups based on how good they think the teams will be correct? To make sure the challenge is reasonably balanced with (hopefully) compelling games?

Them agreeing to this matchup seems to say that...uh yeah looking at our roster... they think we will be reasonably decent
They probably aren't trying to set awful matchups, but they end up with some anyway.

Like Oklahoma vs Alabama seems like a bad matchup also. Alabama will probably be ranked in the preseason and Oklahoma doesn't seem like anything special next year on paper.

By Hop saying "A&M pushed for" I'm wondering if they sort of asked us if we'd mind going on the road again, and we said okay we'll go on the road, but give us Kansas.

They're a clear cut favorite in the Big 12 ahead of West Virginia who we're already playing.

Personally I'd have rather played at Baylor or Texas, but that's just for rivalry purposes. For NCAA purposes it's obviously WAY better to play at Kansas.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

Basically, they had A&M pegged for another road game. A&M folks were up in arms and demanded the Kansas game. Conferences checked with ESPN and they gave it the green light.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

They probably aren't trying to set awful matchups, but they end up with some anyway.

Like Oklahoma vs Alabama seems like a bad matchup also. Alabama will probably be ranked in the preseason and Oklahoma doesn't seem like anything special next year on paper.

By Hop saying "A&M pushed for" I'm wondering if they sort of asked us if we'd mind going on the road again, and we said okay we'll go on the road, but give us Kansas.

They're a clear cut favorite in the Big 12 ahead of West Virginia who we're already playing.

Personally I'd have rather played at Baylor or Texas, but that's just for rivalry purposes. For NCAA purposes it's obviously WAY better to play at Kansas.
I think that move by A&M shows they feel pretty good about this team.
Aggie09Derek
AG
GE said:

bobinator said:

i wouldn't be that surprised if there was an official allotment due to the nature of the B12/SEC challenge.

Nope
mhayden
Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

Basically, they had A&M pegged for another road game. A&M folks were up in arms and demanded the Kansas game. Conferences checked with ESPN and they gave it the green light.

Are you hypothesizing or have you heard this is what happened?
greg.w.h
AG
It should be a very good game. I predict a swat fest.
Hop
Staff
AG
free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

I'm not hypothesizing.
mhayden
Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

I'm not hypothesizing.

So who were we going to play?
mhayden
Quote:

they had A&M pegged for another road game. A&M folks were up in arms and demanded the Kansas game. Conferences checked with ESPN and they gave it the green light.

Quote:

ESPN always tried to match up teams that will be competitive and make for a good nationally televised game. So for the network programmers to send Billy Kennedy and the Aggies to Lawrence, Kansas, says a lot about the potential of this Texas A&M basketball team.

So one scenario we demanded to play Kansas when we were told we had to play on the road.

In the other scenario we are such a highly thought of program that ESPN sent us to Lawrence.
AggieTFA06
AG
Whoever made this matchup has more faith in our team than much of our fan base (including me)
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.