Eric Vila to transfer

9,446 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Method Man
Wearamaskaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
No one saw that coming.

85AustinAg
Aldo the Apache
txag614
CypressAg09
AG
Sucks, but not surprising. I think he can turn into a good player.
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
Just FYI, Vila isn't sure where he's going yet, but he is looking to transfer to another DI program. Initially I had mentioned that he may be looking to go back overseas to play, but he has obviously chosen to stay over here but get more playing time.

Had he stayed at A&M, the most probably course of action would have been for him to redshirt this upcoming year to get stronger and more accustom to this style of play. However, at the end of the day, he will not be in College Station, nor will he be going back across the pond, but yet he will try to gain experience and more playing time at another DI program.
The Collective
AG
Wellp.... see ya later.
wacarnolds
AG
Updating an old post...Of Billy Kennedy's 23 recruiting signees, 14 have now transferred within 2 years or failed to qualify. Didn't include D. House or J. Jones, but both finished their 2 years here.

Broken down by class:

2012 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2013 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2014 - all 3 were gone within 2 years
2015 - 2/5 were gone within 2 years
2016 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years

Overall, 61%
Chuck Gay
AG
wacarnolds said:

Updating an old post...Of Billy Kennedy's 23 recruiting signees, 14 have now transferred within 2 years or failed to qualify. Didn't include D. House or J. Jones, but both finished their 2 years here.
In college basketball, if you aren't in the rotation very quickly, most guys are looking for somewhere else to play. Tavario Miller is one of the few to stick it out and be a contributor but end of the rotation guy as he got older. Big time kudos to him. I like that model, but it isn't really the college basketball model any longer. Today's players have been moving around to find the best spot for them to see minutes since AAU middle school ball. Of course, we have to mention Alex Robinson as one of the few guys to move on and be a guy that looked like he could have helped us if he had stayed. With that, we have to note that we are on the receiving end of key transfers like Danuel House, Jalen Jones, Anthony Collins, JC Hampton, and of course this year both Duane Wilson from Marquette and Josh Nebo from St. Francis.
wacarnolds
AG
Chuck Gay said:

wacarnolds said:

In college basketball, if you aren't in the rotation very quickly, most guys are looking for somewhere else to play. Tavario Miller is one of the few to stick it out and be a contributor but end of the rotation guy as he got older. Big time kudos to him. I like that model, but it isn't really the college basketball model any longer. Today's players have been moving around to find the best spot for them to see minutes since AAU middle school ball. Of course, we have to mention Alex Robinson as one of the few guys to move on and be a guy that looked like he could have helped us if he had stayed. With that, we have to note that we are on the receiving end of key transfers like Danuel House, Jalen Jones, Anthony Collins, JC Hampton, and of course this year both Duane Wilson from Marquette and Josh Nebo from St. Francis.
Agree with a lot of what you're saying here.

At the same time, we've only had 1 season with a roster that would force out players due to a lack of available playing time. Every other year, including Year 6, we had a roster with significant holes. That tells me the problem isn't enough playing time, but rather a struggle to correctly identify enough quality players during the recruiting process.
The Collective
AG
So, are there any stats that show where we sit in this regard compared to others? I always see that transfers are the norm but want to understand how we do compared to others.
wacarnolds
AG
CJS4715 said:

So, are there any stats that show where we sit in this regard compared to others? I always see that transfers are the norm but want to understand how we do compared to others.

There was an article posted a while back that said, on the whole, about 40% of HS recruits leave their first school within 2 years. Removing the 3 JUCO players from the #s I posted above, which includes 2 subsequent transfers, Kennedy is at 12/20,or 60%.

So we're seeing attrition at 150% the average rate.
phorizt
I'm pretty sure the total number of D1 basketball transfers for this year is approaching 900 players now. It was over 700 2 years ago and continues to climb. And there are 347 D1 programs so the average for transfers is between 2.5-3 per year per program. We may be in the upper half of transfer rates but it's a major issue across the board in college basketball that just about every program is dealing with.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Chuck Gay said:

wacarnolds said:

At the same time, we've only had 1 season with a roster that would force out players due to a lack of available playing time. Every other year, including Year 6, we had a roster with significant holes. That tells me the problem isn't enough playing time, but rather a struggle to correctly identify enough quality players during the recruiting process.
Do you personally think Year 7 is most likely like Year 5 (no significant roster holes) or Year 6 (significant roster holes)? If you think it is most likely going to be like Year 5, then the transfers of Smith/Eubanks/Vila are no big deal.

Though personally I'd have liked to see Vila stick around one more year at least, just to see if he would have panned out into something. Unlike Smith and Eubanks who were clearly not going to probably ever play much at A&M...not with a glut of guards & wings on the roster in Gilder/Caldwell/Wilson/Starks/Chandler/Hogg/Flagg...Vila seemed a more unique prospect in that he is 6'10" plus with some skills.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Broken down by class:

2012 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2013 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2014 - all 3 were gone within 2 years
2015 - 2/5 were gone within 2 years
2016 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years

Overall, 61%

Given all that, specifically next season, thank goodness for this one:

Number of NBA Lottery Picks who stayed for a second season: 1/1

agtrevino07
AG
Good luck to him. I think he is a talented kid who will find a team more suited for his skills.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Chuck Gay said:

wacarnolds said:

Do you personally think Year 7 is most likely like Year 5 (no significant roster holes) or Year 6 (significant roster holes)? If you think it is most likely going to be like Year 5, then the transfers of Smith/Eubanks/Vila are no big deal.

Though personally I'd have liked to see Vila stick around one more year at least, just to see if he would have panned out into something. Unlike Smith and Eubanks who were clearly not going to probably ever play much at A&M...not with a glut of guards & wings on the roster in Gilder/Caldwell/Wilson/Starks/Chandler/Hogg/Flagg...Vila seemed a more unique prospect in that he is 6'10" plus with some skills.
2016, obviously
Pumpkinhead
AG
agtrevino07 said:

Good luck to him. I think he is a talented kid who will find a team more suited for his skills.
Yeah, as I mentioned in my previous post, Vila was a kid that I was hoping the staff could hold onto. You don't find guys that tall with pretty decent handles and potential to play out on the wing just laying around on the street.

That 2016 recruiting class...going to end up being a wildly mixed bag.

Smith/Corprew/Vila - Got very little to nothing out of them.

Robert Williams - NBA level talent recruiting hit that exceeded wildest expectations.

JJ Caldwell - Rumor is really good...TBD.

So only 2/5 but if those two are REALLY good next season, we'll still get a lot of good mileage out of that recruiting cycle. We'll see.

agfan1030
Wish he would have stayed.
TMartin
Seems like A&M basketball coaches put a lot of time and effort into recruiting Villa from what we were told was a sure fire pro career in the Spanish leagues. So naturally we get excited. Villa wasn't physically ready when he arrived at A&M which is understandable but he also looked fundamentally unsound and made poor decisions on the court.. I'm curious if the coaches went to Spain to recruit Villa? A&M seems to have a habit of recruiting based on some star system or rhetorical information and often pursues kids that are going to be very difficult to qualify. Mark Passwaters recently wrote that Aggies are the most forgiving fans he knows and that probably hurts the product we get. I just read that Sumlin has two players remaining (out of 33 recruited) from the 2013 class and neither are starters. Two five stars from that 2013 class, Speedy Noil and RSJ, chose to exit early but weren't even drafted by the NFL and barely made practice squads.
Wait until next year.
GE
AG
Sucks to see him go. I believe he has the highest upside of anybody on the team other than Robert Williams. That being said he was also the furthest from reaching his maximum potential.
Pumpkinhead
AG
TMartin said:

Mark Passwaters recently wrote that Aggies are the most forgiving fans he knows and that probably hurts the product we get.
I personally think this idea that the Aggies sports fan is significantly more kind hearted and 'forgiving' than the average sports fan base out there is a myth. At minimum, the Aggie message boards seem just as vicious and critical (no more or no more less) than the typical sports fan message boards out there.

This is the same school, mind you, where Mike Sherman found out he was fired by cell phone while in the driveway of a recruit's house.

Maybe there are some key boosters who are softies that drive some decision making, but that doesn't mean that very small subset represents the average sports fan of an alumni base that is hundreds of thousands of people in size.

greg.w.h
AG
Wishing Mr. Vila the best. Not enough information about him to make a comment other than essentially it was a reach by the staff that doesn't appear to have worked out.

If he was offered a redshirt after his freshman campaign, well, we've heard that story before. Sounds like the evaluation process isn't properly feeding into the development approach. We almost certainly will hear he was temperamental or hard to communicate with soon.
GE
AG
greg.w.h said:

Wishing Mr. Vila the best. Not enough information about him to make a comment other than essentially it was a reach by the staff that doesn't appear to have worked out.

If he was offered a redshirt after his freshman campaign, well, we've heard that story before. Sounds like the evaluation process isn't properly feeding into the development approach. We almost certainly will hear he was temperamental or hard to communicate with soon.
I doubt it. Nobody has suggested it or seen any evidence of it. Everything I have seen of him indicates he is a good kid and teammate but wasn't ready physically or from a pace of play standpoint for the American game. Seems like a pure playing-time move.

Question you have to ask is how he would fit into the lineup. Hogg and Flagg will have the small forward position on lockdown until the '19/'20 season, at which time Vila will be in his fourth year. So who does he take time from? MAYBE we go "small" and he takes time away from Nebo at the 4 in the '18/'19 season. No way he gets significant PT at the 2 guard this season or next with Gilder leading the way and Starks or Chandler to back him up. If we land Quentin Grimes that puts another obstacle in front of him, depending on what position Grimes plays.

While he has great upside, this just isn't the place for him to maximize his contribution to a division 1 team. Would have been a TOTALLY different story if he had been part of the 2012, 2013, or 2014 recruiting classes.
OldAg68
AG
Good luck to Vila. I don't recall seeing him do much that was positive on the court, but then my memory isn't all that great. I'm sure that he does have significant upside, but it was coming at a very slow pace.

Whenever he was in the game I just prayed for no turnovers and no shots.
greg.w.h
AG
GE said:

greg.w.h said:

I doubt it. Nobody has suggested it or seen any evidence of it. Everything I have seen of him indicates he is a good kid and teammate but wasn't ready physically or from a pace of play standpoint for the American game. Seems like a pure playing-time move.

Question you have to ask is how he would fit into the lineup. Hogg and Flagg will have the small forward position on lockdown until the '19/'20 season, at which time Vila will be in his fourth year. So who does he take time from? MAYBE we go "small" and he takes time away from Nebo at the 4 in the '18/'19 season. No way he gets significant PT at the 2 guard this season or next with Gilder leading the way and Starks or Chandler to back him up. If we land Quentin Grimes that puts another obstacle in front of him, depending on what position Grimes plays.

While he has great upside, this just isn't the place for him to maximize his contribution to a division 1 team. Would have been a TOTALLY different story if he had been part of the 2012, 2013, or 2014 recruiting classes.
He was put on the court his first year. Either a failure of evaluation or a failure of development. To shunt a player with a full year of experience back into the scout team for redshirt development causes loss of confidence. And nothing I'm saying disagrees with even a single point you're making.
GE
AG
greg.w.h said:

GE said:

greg.w.h said:

He was put on the court his first year. Either a failure of evaluation or a failure of development. To shunt a player with a full year of experience back into the scout team for redshirt development causes loss of confidence. And nothing I'm saying disagrees with even a single point you're making.
You recruit the best players at the time that fill the needs that you have. You also play your highest potential guys as much as you can (I don't think Vila got nearly enough PT - especially with guys like Collins on the floor). Vila will be a very good college basketball player by the time his career ends. Just doesn't always work out when we're bringing in even better players behind him.
hoya-ag
AG
I am actually a little bummed about this. Whether it is the culture in general or something specific to our coaches, our inability to keep and groom "projects" is disappointing. I thought Vila had a good, innate feel for the game, and I would have liked to see what he could have done for us down the road.
Wicked Good Ag
I wish him the best. Players are always looking for playing time but nobody who watched him last year could have thought he was ready for significant minutes at any power five school (or basketball school).

I do think he could have been a player who an off season would have helped more than the average player. I would have loved to see him n pressing situations with his length over Davis for some minutes
Method Man
Worse than dunking Daniel Alexander and not even close. Lock thread in your face Pumpkintits.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

Worse than dunking Daniel Alexander and not even close. Lock thread in your face Pumpkintits.
Wrong
mikesyracuse1
He may end up in Bowling Green, KY with Stansbury.

mikesyracuse1
greg.w.h
AG
GE said:

greg.w.h said:

GE said:

greg.w.h said:

You recruit the best players at the time that fill the needs that you have. You also play your highest potential guys as much as you can (I don't think Vila got nearly enough PT - especially with guys like Collins on the floor). Vila will be a very good college basketball player by the time his career ends. Just doesn't always work out when we're bringing in even better players behind him.

Again: shunting back through redshirt afte having been on the floor is either a failure of evaluation or a failure of development. That we keep hearing answers other than those means the staff isn't being responsible for their choices.

I do agree that they're being displaced by better talent and also not getting enough PT. But that also points to evaluation. Or maybe it's just a problem of recruiting what you can get instead of what you want. But we heard about both TTM and Vila in very pumped terms for their contributions. Yeah next year or some day they'll be good or dominant. (Hopefully TTM this fall.) But the projects aren't moving through the program well.
Pumpkinhead
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

He may end up in Bowling Green, KY with Stansbury.

mikesyracuse1
If he was a Stansbury find (and still is desired by Stansbury) then Method Man will have to come to grips with that I guess.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.