Eric Vila to transfer

9,447 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Method Man
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
greg.w.h said:

GE said:

greg.w.h said:

GE said:

greg.w.h said:

Wishing Mr. Vila the best. Not enough information about him to make a comment other than essentially it was a reach by the staff that doesn't appear to have worked out.

If he was offered a redshirt after his freshman campaign, well, we've heard that story before. Sounds like the evaluation process isn't properly feeding into the development approach. We almost certainly will hear he was temperamental or hard to communicate with soon.
I doubt it. Nobody has suggested it or seen any evidence of it. Everything I have seen of him indicates he is a good kid and teammate but wasn't ready physically or from a pace of play standpoint for the American game. Seems like a pure playing-time move.

Question you have to ask is how he would fit into the lineup. Hogg and Flagg will have the small forward position on lockdown until the '19/'20 season, at which time Vila will be in his fourth year. So who does he take time from? MAYBE we go "small" and he takes time away from Nebo at the 4 in the '18/'19 season. No way he gets significant PT at the 2 guard this season or next with Gilder leading the way and Starks or Chandler to back him up. If we land Quentin Grimes that puts another obstacle in front of him, depending on what position Grimes plays.

While he has great upside, this just isn't the place for him to maximize his contribution to a division 1 team. Would have been a TOTALLY different story if he had been part of the 2012, 2013, or 2014 recruiting classes.
He was put on the court his first year. Either a failure of evaluation or a failure of development. To shunt a player with a full year of experience back into the scout team for redshirt development causes loss of confidence. And nothing I'm saying disagrees with even a single point you're making.
You recruit the best players at the time that fill the needs that you have. You also play your highest potential guys as much as you can (I don't think Vila got nearly enough PT - especially with guys like Collins on the floor). Vila will be a very good college basketball player by the time his career ends. Just doesn't always work out when we're bringing in even better players behind him.
Again: shunting back through redshirt afte having been on the floor is either a failure of evaluation or a failure of development. That we keep hearing answers other than those means the staff isn't being responsible for their choices.

I do agree that they're being displaced by better talent and also not getting enough PT. But that also points to evaluation. Or maybe it's just a problem of recruiting what you can get instead of what you want. But we heard about both TTM and Vila in very pumped terms for their contributions. Yeah next year or some day they'll be good or dominant. (Hopefully TTM this fall.) But the projects aren't moving through the program well.
TTM has been a solid college player for the last two years and would get significant playing time on most every team in the country. His route what the route I was hoping Vila would take where he was not good at all as a fish but had the underlying skills and figured it out as a sophomore.
PatAg
AG
GE said:

Sucks to see him go. I believe he has the highest upside of anybody on the team other than Robert Williams. That being said he was also the furthest from reaching his maximum potential.
Highest upside....you're crazy
GE
AG
PatAg said:

GE said:

Sucks to see him go. I believe he has the highest upside of anybody on the team other than Robert Williams. That being said he was also the furthest from reaching his maximum potential.
Who would you estimate has the highest upside outside of Williams?
greg.w.h
AG
GE said:

PatAg said:

GE said:

Who would you estimate has the highest upside outside of Williams?
Gilder...Davis...Chandler...Probably Hogg.

Oh wait...you meant currently invisible upside. Yeah...don't know.
Method Man
What does he do well? He's tall I guess. I saw him dribble behind his back. He might succeed in the whatever conference WKU is in.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

What does he do well? He's tall I guess. I saw him dribble behind his back. He might succeed in the whatever conference WKU is in.
Tall, good ball handler, good court vision, good passer, good shooter once he acclimates.

Stats nearly identical to Trocha as a fish but being 6'11 with his skillset he can go far
PatAg
AG
He was definitely tall
Method Man
I would've liked to see him stay, just because he's tall.
DallasAggie87
AG
OldAg68 said:

and no shots.
I did as well. i don't think transitioning from euro-ball caused his horrendous shooting. He just isn't good at it.
GE
AG
DallasAggie87 said:

OldAg68 said:

and no shots.
I did as well. i don't think transitioning from euro-ball caused his horrendous shooting. He just isn't good at it.
If all I had wstched were his games here then I would agree. There were European tournaments that he was the MVP of where he shot a bunch of threes and shot around 40%. Could be a number of factors and growing from 6'9" to 6'11" wouldn't be the least significant
Hop
Staff
AG
Vila is a very good shooter. He was overwhelmed with the American style, but when somebody loses playing time on the bench and is given a random five minutes over a two week stretch to prove himself and earn his way back in the rotation, I can see him putting pressure on himself and playing tight. Plus, he was only 18-19 in the states for the first time and going to college with a secondary language. There was a lot on his plate and I think he was overwhelmed on the court.

The kid was considered the #2 ranked junior player in Spain and as others have said there are games in the junior world championships where he was draining 3's from everywhere. He's also a good ball handler fir his height.

It didn't work out here and with the team loaded next year, the proposition of limited minutes two straight years probably didn't sit well with his mentors/advisors.
DallasAggie87
AG
Hard to call a player a "very good shooter" when he shoots 29% from the field, 26% on 3pters and 56% from the line. I watched his highlight vids as well but I'll go with what I saw on the court...brick after brick.

He isn't a good shooter.
greg.w.h
AG
Hop has eyes. He might have seen something. Stats are telling but they don't tell the whole story. With that said: water under the bridge.
jml2621

Vila had fundamental mechanical problems with his shot. He rarely got his base and went straight up. His release point was inconsistent. Maybe pressure affected his FT shooting. Unfortunately, a BK program is not a place to work on your shooting mechanics. Historically, BK teams are marginal in 3FG% and defending the 3 FG as well. We were 265 making the 3 and 179 defending it. when your outside shooting was that bad, the opposing coach worth his salt doubles down, deflecting passes to the post, reducing dibble drive

Our ball handling issues were mad Much Worse by the fact we were not hitting 3s.

BK prefers to double the dribble drive rather than stay on the outside man. With Davis and RW there's little reason to double the dribble drive!!! Stay on the man who is going to be open to hit the dagger.

On offense, BK's teams historically don't get in a position to hit the 3...and don't seem to work on mechanics. Hogg's mechanics looked worse this year than last.

Hampton came on at the end of the year in his new role as a combo guard, but by then Hogg was injured and we weren't defending the 3 well. It also forced us to play too much Trocha, Collins, Eubanks...

This game is about buckets:

jml2621

In 2016 we had a much higher steal % rate. With length on the perimeter on D, the opposing team took fewer 3s.

With more steals we scored points on the semi-break, including 3s.

Buckets.
txag72
AG
Probably 13th man on the roster next year.
TxAg76
AG
Quote:

This is the same school, mind you, where Mike Sherman found out he was fired by cell phone while in the driveway of a recruit's house

I think that incident alone should tell you a lot about the football decision makers, and how they're a pack of wombats who are nowhere close to having their *****t together
Double Diamond
Shocking news.
GE
AG
Kent State, '49
GrayMatter
AG
At best Vila was a project, but it's hard to keep a project where you will get one maybe two good years once he has matured and learned how to compete in the American college game.

I wish he would have stayed so he could work on his game, but don't blame him for wanting more playing time.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Great now Kennedy is ruining out Spanish pipeline
GE
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

At best Vila was a project, but it's hard to keep a project where you will get one maybe two good years once he has matured and learned how to compete in the American college game.

I wish he would have stayed so he could work on his game, but don't blame him for wanting more playing time.
I dont know if I agree here. At best, he is as good a three point shoote r as he was in high school and he is a cherry picker who can also handle the ball and pass with length on defense, even if he isn't physically mature enough and hasn't caught up to the game.
Method Man
Are we still talking about this slow soft goober? Kid got his **** thrown every time
He was in the lane and was a brick layer. I'm calling it. He won't ever do anything ever. *

* I'm expecting him to be decent because I bashed him so hard.
BrazosBull
AG
I just do not see this as a severe problem for Kennedy or our program. So what if we are in the upper % in transfers . We are not completely out of range and our trend in talent is up. Looks positive for next year, right? Transfers are a trend of the times , just use the trend to improve , and so far we are doing that it seems
Method Man
We had no Pg last year.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.