Off season topic- Which program would you like to see return to national prominence?

1,722 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
mdanyc03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just looking as a generic college basketball fan; is there a program that you would like to see return (or arrive for the first time) to national prominence? Let's say at least a 3-4 year run as a consistent top 20 program with at least one Final Four mixed in.

Personally, I get tired of the blue bloods and generally always root against them. But I also don't really root for the Cinderellas either. For me it is programs with big or at least decent sized fan bases that bring something interesting and unique to the table in terms of history, geography, fan culture, roster building approach, or style of play or whatever.

Here is my quick list.

1. Illinois- I remember some great Illinois teams growing up. I always enjoyed seeing the kids from Chicago playing for the in state school.
2. NC State- Something about me that always makes me cheer for the NC States of the world in the shadow of the Dukes and UNC's.
3. UNLV- It will never be the same as when Tark was there, but that was a really fun part of college basketball history.
4. San Diego State- Whereas college football programs can galvanize a state, college basketball programs can galvanize a city, beyond just their alumni, especially a city that doesn't have an NBA team. That includes programs like Dayton, Creighton, Wichita State, etc. But I will put San Diego State here. I thought that was one of the really cool stories of the last 15 years to see a program with basically zero history and Steve Fisher showed up, built a really good program mostly with local kids and got the whole city behind the team to the point they were bringing in great crowds for the first time ever. I think it would be cool to see them build on that and take it to the next level.
5. New Mexico- Such a unique thing where New Mexico basketball is the big team in a pretty big city so that they have great crowds and tons of local coverage but are completely below the radar nationally. Although they are consistently pretty good they have never really accomplished anything on the national level. Kinda the opposite of a program like, say, Georgetown or some of the other Big East programs that are pretty prominent nationally but pretty much under the radar behind the pro sports teams locally. I think it would be fun to see them have at least a run of being very good. I think this is the least likely of all but nonetheless.
GE
AG
1. TAMU
2. Any team south of the Mason Dixon line or west of the Rockies.
3. Nobody else.
bobinator
AG
Well, other than us obviously...

Arkansas - They're obviously a direct competitor, but them being consistently good would be really good for the SEC I think. They seem to have a good basketball fan base.
Oklahoma State - Always kind of liked the pokes and anyone to knock Baylor down a peg in that league would be great.
Houston - This comes with the caveat that I don't want them to be good with Sampson as coach, but the state of Texas needs more good teams. If Houston was consistently good, that would be an obvious non-con game that might actually draw a decent crowd.
Utah - I don't really have a compelling reason here, I just hate most of the other Pac 12 teams, so sure, go Utah.
wacarnolds
AG
F all them other schools
agfan1030
My immediate family's alma maters

TAMU
SHSU .... won't happen
U of Rochester (not sure they are eligible) .... won't happen
U of AZ

Know Your Enemy
AG
Showing my roots & age here but my #1 is DePaul. They were a basketball machine when Ray Meyer was there. My #2 would be Illinois. One of two schools I applied to in HS.
CapCityAg89
AG
I'd like to see the entirety of the Big 5 fitting your description - I think that'd be a blast to watch (Penn, La Salle, St Joe's, Temple and Nova).

Likewise Cinci and Xavier.
AggieTFA06
AG
TAMU!
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
hoya-ag
AG

Method Man
St John's???
jml2621
CapCityAg89 said:

I'd like to see the entirety of the Big 5 fitting your description - I think that'd be a blast to watch (Penn, La Salle, St Joe's, Temple and Nova).

Likewise Cinci and Xavier.

That reads like the quarterfinals of the NIT way back in the day. Doubleheaders at the Spectrum!
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
University of Phoenix

They have mailed it in for too long.
_lefraud_
AG
Any school part of the GOM.
Skull Session
TAMU first and foremost. But probably won't happen in my lifetime.

UNLV under tark the shark was good if not a little seedy back in the day.
Wicked Good Ag
Indiana
94chem
NCAA tournament expansion

Be sure to go frame-by-frame at about 1:08 to see the individual matchups. I'd like to see the Tyler Hansbrough fan club in action.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.