SEC Preseason POY

2,673 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by txjortsagent
Serious Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
any chance RW gets this honor or will it be Porter or Bamba If/When he commits to UK?
DeangeloVickers
AG
KeVaughn Allen would be my pick
bobinator
AG
Ryno01 said:

KeVaughn Allen would be my pick

Yeah. That's a good pick. Williams and Davis might cancel each other out for individual awards.
Serious Lee
i would choose Q Weatherspoon over allen
DogCompany74
AG
Mondavarious Quentile-Lee of UGA
bobinator
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

i would choose Q Weatherspoon over allen
Except his team sucks. Or at least, it sucked last year.
StanGundy
Porter.
mdanyc03
AG
Porter, Williams and sexton are your top three. That is three top 5-7 picks in the draft next year.
bobinator
AG
Allen is the only for-sure returning player off the end-of-year All-SEC first team right? Yante Maten could also still come back though.

Just because you might be one of the highest players drafted doesn't necessarily mean you're SEC preseason POY. It was Moses Kingsley last year.

I don't know if coaches only get one vote or if they rank three players or how that works exactly, I just have a hard time seeing Williams be SEC POY when you could make a pretty good argument that Davis could be it also.
Serious Lee
we could make that argument for davis, but non-aggies seem to think he regressed.
Hop
Staff
AG
I disagree with the Davis POY talk. He's a productive grinder and a good one, but Rob is going to steal the show and the headlines next year. If he stays healthy, he'll have a very good chance to win SEC POY.
bobinator
AG
We're not talking about actually being POY, it's about preseason POY. I would agree that Williams has a chance to steal the show and be in the mix for actual POY if we're good. But the fact that he and Davis were both second team at the end of last season combined with the fact that we sucked last year I think makes it unlikely he's preseason POY.

I also think people undervalue Tyler Davis, but we'll see I guess.
bobinator
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

we could make that argument for davis, but non-aggies seem to think he regressed.
He "regressed" because the talent around him wasn't as good. A big man is like a good running back, if the people around him aren't very good then he's not nearly as productive and if the defense really wants to, they can take him out of the game.

It was pretty obvious that last season every single team's gameplan against us "don't let Tyler Davis beat us." They'd leave other people completely unguarded at times to make sure that two people were near Davis, and we didn't have the personnel to make them pay.

Williams is more talented than Davis, that isn't even a question, but the fact that Davis is such a fundamentally sound big man is why Williams is freed up a lot on defense to do his thing and why Williams didn't usually have the other team's best post defender on him. As good as Williams is, everything still started and ended with stopping Tyler Davis.

Now, if Williams has added some new dimensions to his game this offseason or starts hitting those jumpshots with any sort of regularity, then it's certainly possible that changes this season. But right now, if I were game planning for us, my #1 priority would still be making sure Davis doesn't get the ball isolated on the low block. #2 would be making sure someone is standing between Williams and the basket all the time.
GE
AG
bobinator said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

He "regressed" because the talent around him wasn't as good. A big man is like a good running back, if the people around him aren't very good then he's not nearly as productive and if the defense really wants to, they can take him out of the game.
Agreed. When your only reliable three point shooter ends up being the primary ball handler for most of the year, what are you supposed to do?
bobinator
AG
Yep, we were just way too easy to scheme for last year for Davis to be as effective as he should be.
Serious Lee
i dont agree with the notion that davis regressed, but all the untapped potential that RW has seems to be completely overshadowing anything that davis has done.
jml2621
bobinator said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

It was pretty obvious that last season every single team's gameplan against us "don't let Tyler Davis beat us." They'd leave other people completely unguarded at times to make sure that two people were near Davis, and we didn't have the personnel to make them pay.

Williams is more talented than Davis, that isn't even a question, but the fact that Davis is such a fundamentally sound big man is why Williams is freed up a lot on defense to do his thing and why Williams didn't usually have the other team's best post defender on him. As good as Williams is, everything still started and ended with stopping Tyler Davis.

Now, if Williams has added some new dimensions to his game this offseason or starts hitting those jumpshots with any sort of regularity, then it's certainly possible that changes this season. But right now, if I were game planning for us, my #1 priority would still be making sure Davis doesn't get the ball isolated on the low block. #2 would be making sure someone is standing between Williams and the basket all the time.

Good post. We have to be a threat on the perimeter and not turn it over to cut down on double teams. we had problems with entry passes until Gilder got comfortable handling the ball more and Hampton adjust to a combo guard role.
bobinator
AG
Yante Maten coming back
txjortsagent
AG
Won't be bamba
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.