Player Development Thread- Tonny Trocha Morelos

2,895 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LouisvilleAg
GrayMatter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ajm1114 said:

I've always thought if I were to ever get picked for that I'd have free chick fila for years, some of the shmucks picked look and shoot like they've never picked up a basketball before.
Try doing that with several thousand people watching you. It isn't the same when you do it at the Rec.
rhart
AG
Hop is right, Toni needs to hit the weight room and get stronger, especially his hand strength. He had to be strong to the rim, two handed rebounds and be able to take big men on in the paint blocking shots. Plus shoot the hell outa free throws this summer. Everyone has to make free throws!
Wearamaskaggie
AG
If you got it you got it.
Method Man
We both did it amigo. Let those balls hang low.
bobinator
AG
rhart said:

Hop is right, Toni needs to hit the weight room and get stronger, especially his hand strength. He had to be strong to the rim, two handed rebounds and be able to take big men on in the paint blocking shots. Plus shoot the hell outa free throws this summer. Everyone has to make free throws!
I don't disagree that he needs to work on his strength, but a lot of physicality around the rim is a mental thing.
jml2621
bobinator said:

There's a lot right OP, but there's some stuff I disagree with also.

For one thing, Trocha is going to be 23 next season (for comparison, he's a couple of months older than Julius Randle and Randle was drafted three years ago,) So I'm not sure there's a lot more physical development to be had unless he's been really lazy the last three years.

So that said, Trocha is probably the best example though of what I criticize our coaching staff for most. He does some really difficult things really well, but he's simply not good at some of the very basics of basketball.

He's below where he should be at setting screens and picks, positional rebounding and defensive positioning (especially in zones, he's an absolute liability in zones.) If he were good at these very basic things that I think everyone should be able to learn, then he would be a consistently good player. Because he isn't, he's a streaky and unreliable player. There are times that he's one of our better players, and there are times that we can't even put him on the court.

So that's where he needs to improve. He needs to be able to bring something to the floor when his shot isn't falling or when he's being guarded by someone more athletic than he is which takes away some of his moves and ball-handling ability.

Succinctly, he has to find a way to still be able to make a difference even when the guy he's guarding (or is guarding him) is better than he is.

Quote:

Tonny needs to become a better ball handler, better passer, better low post and high post moves, etc. But I don't think we need him to do any of that next year. I think we just need him to be a good defensive player (which I think he can be as a guy that can defend both in the paint and can guard stretch fours on the perimeter) and a facilitator that can create space and open shots for Tyler and Robert as an effective spot up situational three point shooter and a good passer both from the high post and in the paint. I also think he can be an effective offensive rebounder.

I absolutely think we need Tonny to get better at handling, passing, and post moves because those are things he's already pretty good at. So him getting a little bit better at them (along with those fundamentals I said earlier) would make a big difference for us as a team, without Tonny himself really doing anything that crazy this offseason. I think expecting him to be a little bit better at those things is realistic.

I think him being a good defensive player is unrealistic at this point. He's pretty good at being tall so he can guard shorter players fairly well if they aren't very fast, and he's good at taking charges, but if he becomes a really good defensive player over the summer that would be pretty shocking right? I also disagree that he'll be a particularly good offensive rebounder because he's not normally in a position to get an offensive rebound.

NO THIRTY SECOND BACKDOWNS!!!
LouisvilleAg
AG
I actually think Tonny just needs to some minor adjustments. He needs to get stronger and Kennedy needs to take brooms and slap his hands and arms while he down in the post trying to finish. Tonny needs to work through all the fouls because one thing is certain that he is probably not going to get the calls. If he can improve this, I like Tonny to be the back up to TD if Jasey is not fully up to speed on offense. It would allow the middle to open up for drives when Tonny goes to the 3 point line and it would force the opponent to go small to stay with Tonny's quickness.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.