ESPN layoffs

3,832 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couple college hoops writers on the chopping block today already

Didn't really care for Brennan, but O'neil was really good.
Method Man
It's not great but we will persevere.
old yeller
AG
Method Man said:

It's not great but we will persevere.
speak for yourself
bobinator
AG
also gone:

Len Elmore: (fine)

C.L. Brown (don't remember anything he wrote)

Serious Lee
always liked eamonn brennan. of course they keep hacks like jemele hill and heather dinich
AggieTFA06
AG
bobinator said:

also gone:

Len Elmore: (fine)

C.L. Brown (don't remember anything he wrote)

Terrible if true if someone found out that he was fired over the phone.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
mikesyracuse1
To bad they didn't add Stephen A Smith to the list of non renewals.

mikesyracuse1
MikeM1960
How will we ever go on?
miller0926
AG
Gonna miss Bubble Watch
bobinator
AG
Anyone with a 30 minutes can make a bubble watch that's probably 99% right. They could have an intern put that together.

Only real loss I see from that group is Dana O'Neil. She was good.

Though not a lot of people really like to read the type of articles she writes, so I don't think it was a ridiculous decision by ESPN or anything, but it's just kind of sad to me to see someone who wrote really good stories have to go.
LawHall88
AG
Andy Katz is out as well. That one surprised me.
Bunk Moreland
Katz will be at Yahoo or CBS in no time flat.
MikeM1960
What is going to happen to Andy Katz? The world is holding it's breath.
mdanyc03
AG
Just another reminder of the demise of long form sports journalism.

I grew up in sports with Deford and Alexander Wolff and Gary Smith. My kids are growing up with 30 second YouTube clips. Makes me sad sometimes.
bobinator
AG
I didn't see Katz, but that surprises me in some ways just because of how much they use him, but he isn't exactly breaking a lot of news these days and he doesn't provide much coverage you couldn't get anywhere else I don't think.

Problem with college hoops is that just basically nobody cares until March, and then even of the people that do care they mostly only care about their own team most of the time. It's a hard beat to make any money on.
mdanyc03
AG
bobinator said:

I didn't see Katz, but that surprises me in some ways just because of how much they use him, but he isn't exactly breaking a lot of news these days and he doesn't provide much coverage you couldn't get anywhere else I don't think.

Problem with college hoops is that just basically nobody cares until March, and then even of the people that do care they mostly only care about their own team most of the time. It's a hard beat to make any money on.

and I'd just add that it is pretty significant that espn doesn't have the tournament. In the post "cable for everyone" era espn is going to focus all of their resources on premium content because that is what keeps the cable contracts in place. All the reporting etc basically exists to promote the premium content (i.e. Major live sporting events) that espn holds.

So predictable that college basketball and hockey get hit disproportionately
bobinator
AG
Yeah, the fact that they don't get the payoff for covering hoops all year is a big problem for coverage.
Method Man
LawHall88 said:

It's because Trump didnt do brackets. Really, will miss Andy gushing over Obama like a schoolgirl.
greg.w.h
AG
They've got a business to run.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

LawHall88 said:

It's because Trump didnt do brackets. Really, will miss Andy gushing over Obama like a schoolgirl.

Cause if you got invited to the White House to hang out with POTUS talking college hoops, you wouldn't be gushing like a school girl?

You are just too cool for school Method.
Isaih Smollett
I'll miss Len Elmore. Really liked his commentary.
greg.w.h
AG
machine20 said:

I'll miss Len Elmore. Really liked his commentary.

Or he gets another opportunity or freelances and develops a following. ESPN is just one (though previously dominant) sports media company.
Method Man
Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

LawHall88 said:

Cause if you got invited to the White House to hang out with POTUS talking college hoops, you wouldn't be gushing like a school girl?

You are just too cool for school Method.

Mike Elko
AG
You realize that's how the majority of the firings happened, right... Over the phone? Only the TV personalities actually live in Bristol.
bero88
All these firings and Jamele Hill still has a job.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
What's the gripe about Hill? Is it because she's a woman or is it because she's black, or both?
wacarnolds
AG
Ajm1114 said:

What's the gripe about Hill? Is it because she's a woman or is it because she's black, or both?
Think it has more to do with her #hottakez
Wearamaskaggie
Method Man
Nm bball board
Method Man
Nm bball board
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Certainly seems that way, when I'm sure others do the same yet don't get nearly the heat.
mdanyc03
AG
Method Man said:

I liked Sage Steele and she got demoted for not being a super SJW. She's far more professional and better than Hill, but of course blacks hate her because she's conservative.
So "blacks" (I guess they must have had a committee meeting and voted) hate Sage Steele because of her politics, and that isn't cool, but you don't like Hill because of her politics, and that is okay?
TXAggie2011
AG
Complaints about politics on ESPN are, like most complaints about politics being infused somewhere, tied to an underlying disagreement of the political leanings of the ESPN commentator.

A friend of mine yesterday kept saying he was glad for ESPN's struggles because they had become MSNBC with football. He did a lot of backtracking when I asked if he'd be as happy if they had become Fox News with football.
TXAggie2011
AG
Method Man
Nm bball board
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.