ESPN layoffs

3,858 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sage Steele 4Eva
mallen
AG
I'm wondering if lack of online subscription revenue (ESPN insider) has forced cutbacks to staff who primarily contribute online content. It's seems that something is off in terms of ESPN's online revenue generation model. I think they need to be moving toward more on-demand content purchases rather than subscriptions.
Double Diamond
Katz was big time. Crazy stuff. Really sad as so many were college hoops people. Really love college hoops, but things aren't good. Makes you wonder about tv at some point.
Aston04
AG
mallen said:

I'm wondering if lack of online subscription revenue (ESPN insider) has forced cutbacks to staff who primarily contribute online content. It's seems that something is off in terms of ESPN's online revenue generation model. I think they need to be moving toward more on-demand content purchases rather than subscriptions.
People aren't going to pay on-demand to read articles. Nor are people generally going to pay for ESPN Insider monthly subscription for that mater.

Either find a way to monetize enough on ads or eventually die.
LawHall88
AG
mallen said:

I wonder if they will be cutting the Insider model altogether. Seems like many of the contributors across all sports are being cut. I renewed about two months ago, so I'm stuck I guess, but it sure appears there will not be much Insider content worth paying for.
mallen
AG
Aston04 said:

mallen said:

People aren't going to pay on-demand to read articles. Nor are people generally going to pay for ESPN Insider monthly subscription for that mater.

Either find a way to monetize enough on ads or eventually die.

The On demand model works for music and TV/movies. People don't like being roped into longer term commitments (especially younger people) and when the quality or frequency of the content is volatile throughout the year the case for the subscription model becomes even weaker. For example, I would love to pay just for March Madness or NBA playoff content but could care less about MLB regular season content. I don't want to pay for all the content I'm uninterested in.

It doesn't have to be broken down to the article level (although that might work in some cases), just a more granular menu of content that is delivered over a period of weeks or days rather than months or years.

Businesses gravitate towards the subscription model because it provides a steady and more predictable income stream, but they are not really adapting to what consumers truly want: a fair price for content they are truly interested in NOW, not a smorgasbord of content that they feel they are being roped into, much of which is future dated content (which they may or may not be interested in).

Businesses may be surprised to find that some customers would be willing to pay more over the course of the year for personalized content NOW as opposed to a fixed annual subscription price. All of this is predicated on the fact that businesses must still deliver quality content in a timely manner. There is no viable workaround for bad or late content.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Exactly my point, but this is a good ol' basketball board, anything else is irrelevant.
Method Man
Politics are irrelevant here. That's how they get ya! They tell you what to care about and interject it into everything and then we are talking about it.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
That's just the methods, man.
Method Man
Ha!
jml2621
Bunk Moreland said:

Katz will be at Yahoo or CBS in no time flat.

Agreed. Katz is sharp.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.