And we thought we got it bad with Caldwell...

2,933 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
miller0926
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have no idea how trustworthy and accurate this is, but this is one of the best NCAA eligibility stories I've seen in awhile.

http://gmuhoops.co/2017/04/24/the-story-behind-why-therence-mayimba-never-played-at-george-mason/#sthash.KheBSzA3.6VCcORAa.dpbs

Quote:

According to former Mason employees, once the school was able to establish amateurism, the NCAA moved on to an issue with Mayimba's age. His official documents, including his birth certificate and passport, indicated he was 18 years old and therefore eligible to play at George Mason. However, Hewitt and Mayimba said the player signed up for an online dating site when Mayimba was 16. To be accepted for the service, Mayimba stated he was 18 at the time, which the NCAA accepted as proof Mayimba was actually 20 when he intended to enroll at George Mason.
"Literally the smoking gun, if you will, was the dating website," Hewitt said. "Therence had logged into that and said he was 18 years old when he was actually 16 years old. All his official documentation was verified by all the necessary agencies, yet the NCAA rejects it."

TXAggie2011
AG
People put a lot of grief on the NCAA that it doesn't deserve, but if that's an accurate portrayal, that's just stupid on the NCAA's part.
BobOliver2006
AG
Caldwell... and Derrick Roland... and Ray Turner... and Tonny Trocha-Morelos...
wacarnolds
AG
BobOliver2006 said:

Danuel House and Jalen Jones though
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

BobOliver2006 said:

Danuel House and Jalen Jones though
We particularly got a huge break with Jalen Jones. Them letting A&M suspend Jones for the first 4 games not in his first season but his second one...was baffling but welcome because it gave A&M plenty of time to schedule around that suspension.
Bunk Moreland
Roland was pretty black and white no?.. It was just so unfortunate because the injury happened so soon after he crossed the threshold.
Con Spirito
The minimum age to sign up for Facebook is 13. How many NCAA players signed up for Facebook when they were 10, saying they were 13? Does anyone ask?
bobinator
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Roland was pretty black and white no?.. It was just so unfortunate because the injury happened so soon after he crossed the threshold.
Yep, it would have been pretty surprising if Roland did get that year back. It think most people just wanted an exception because of how the injury happened.
BobOliver2006
AG
the NCAA's botch of D-Ro situation was that they couldn't make a damn decision before the season ended. My recollection is that he suited up and could have played on his senior night (albeit limited minutes), but he was held out only for the lingering chance that he'd still get a waiver just because there hadn't been a decision at that point.
bobinator
AG
I don't think the NCAA ever grants extra years of eligibility while what would have been the final year is still in progress do they?
mdanyc03
AG
bobinator said:

I don't think the NCAA ever grants extra years of eligibility while what would have been the final year is still in progress do they?

That is correct. To get a medical redshirt you have to miss the rest of the season so by definition you aren't eligible until the season is over.
Serious Lee
ray turner had qualifying issues? i remember kourtney roberson going prep for a year but not turner.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I seem to remember Ray Turner not being eligible at the start of the season his freshman year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.