Earlier Start Date to College Season

1,812 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Sounds like they want a mid-week start date to get more quality kickoff-the-season games that will get TV coverage, and to insert a mandatory 4-5 day off-period. I like getting better match-ups to kick off the season in mid-week. I'm not sure you need a mandatory off period. Most programs take off 5-6 days somewhere in December for finals or Christmas. Thoughts?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-considering-interesting-changes-to-the-schedule-of-college-basketballs-season/

bobinator
AG
I kind of like the mandatory off period if it means guys get to actually go home for Christmas. There's usually an "off" stretch around finals, but one around Christmas would be better.

I love the idea of starting on a Tuesday. Starting on Friday, especially in states where high school football matters, doesn't do anything for anyone.

But to be honest I'm not so sure that they shouldn't push the start of the season back two weeks. Have college basketball start the week of Thanksgiving with the tournaments. All of those tournaments to start the year would be a great way to kick off the season.

Right now it's two weeks of mostly garbage games to kick off the year.
Hop
Staff
AG
But that's what they are trying to do w this proposal. If you give teams national TV dates, they will schedule good opponents to get those TV spots. There's no attractive TV on Friday and then there's football on the weekend. Thus, basketball must shoot for Tuesday and Wednesday...and that's what they are trying to do.

On the mandatory period...what does it accomplish? A&M had two 8-day off-periods and one 7-day period in November and December including 8 days for Christmas. Again, I don't see the need to legislate a mandatory off-period. Programs are giving their players extended off-periods already.
bobinator
AG
They might be off from games, but I doubt they're getting to go home for very long. If there's a blackout even in practicing for a few days then I think it might be a nice break for the players.
TXAggie2011
AG
A&M may have had 8 days off but that's not the case for every school. Certainly not always the case around Christmas.
TXAggie2011
AG
But anyways, mandating it is something a lot of sports leagues are looking at.

The NHL did it this year with a 5 day mandatory break with no practices for each team.
txag72
AG
^
When college players get "student player unions".
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

A&M may have had 8 days off but that's not the case for every school. Certainly not always the case around Christmas.
I haven't looked at every school, but A&M's schedule is not uncommon. Most D-1 teams now play in at least one tournament where they play three games in 3-4 days. That leaves 8-9 games to be spread out over 6-7 weeks, so most teams get some extended time off between games at some point in late November or December.

I know the A&M staff during an 7-day break in the schedule from December 22nd to the 29th allowed the team to go home for 2-3 days around Christmas. Anyway, no big deal. If they feel they need to regulate it, I'm sure there are a few coaches that don't allow players to go home for a few days in December so it will help them.
jja79
AG
Why not start CBB the week after football conference championship games? The start of the season (unless you're the blue bloods) gets lost in the shuffle. Play the games without so much time off.
Hop
Staff
AG
jja79 said:

Why not start CBB the week after football conference championship games? The start of the season (unless you're the blue bloods) gets lost in the shuffle. Play the games without so much time off.
Start it a month later? That's not feasible.
bobinator
AG
I mean, it could be if we're just spitballing ideas. There's no particular reason the season has to end the first weekend of April right?
ADJME7002
AG
CBS pays too much money for the rights to tournament and the rights to The Masters to have them interfere in the schedule
jja79
AG
Hop said:

jja79 said:

Eliminate the 2 exhibitions, play through the 8, 8 and 7 day off periods and you finish at the same time as now. Start of season is list in the end of football. Starting the monday after conference championships gets more focus. Just a thought.
jml2621
Hop said:

jja79 said:

TV dictates that the National Championship game is at the beginning of Masters' Week.

I like the midweek start. Not sure mandated dates matter except for Final Exams. Outside UNC, basketball players are allegedly student athletes.
jml2621
jja79 said:

Hop said:

jja79 said:

Eliminate the 2 exhibitions, play through the 8, 8 and 7 day off periods and you finish at the same time as now. Start of season is list in the end of football. Starting the monday after conference championships gets more focus. Just a thought.

Coaches won't like that.

Young ballers get tired due to multiple games each week, travel, schoolwork, practice, etc. Football games are weekend only. TV schedules work out fine as they are. Midweek start is actually better, though...
jml2621
bobinator said:

I mean, it could be if we're just spitballing ideas. There's no particular reason the season has to end the first weekend of April right?
After the Masters Tournament the NBA playoff start. TV Sports schedules are pretty much locked down. The idea is between September 1 and late June there is NCAAF, NFL, NCAAB, NBA on all the time. July and August, the low point in ratings is saved for MLB, The Open, and the PGA Championship.

Early NCAAB and NBA have the lowest ratings, so it's OK if they overlap a little with football. By November most of the teams are out of the Playoff and conference title picture meaning those meaningless games are replaced by NCAAB.

Believe it - the networks have all their profits hedged with the current TV schedule. If CBS/NBC/ABC/ESPN/TNT can figure a way to maximize advertising dollars we'd see a significant schedule change. Otherwise, fuhgettaboutit.
jml2621
ajm4989 said:

CBS pays too much money for the rights to tournament and the rights to The Masters to have them interfere in the schedule

That is the correct answer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.