DJ's recovery?

3,156 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Yell Practice
mdanyc03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody heard how DJ's recovery is coming? It has been almost exactly two months since he shut it down for the year. He has been absent from all of the work out videos so just wondering if there are any estimates of when he will be back to basketball activities.
bobinator
AG
We have to treat Injuries like Schrodinger's cat.

Staff might say he's fine but then if he struggles early in the season it will be because he's still overcoming that injury. We'll never know for sure so we have to assume both are true and that DJ Hogg exists in a quantum space where he's both injured and healthy until he either plays well and is fine or plays poorly and is hurt.
Hop
Staff
AG
The word at the time was that he could've played if needed but decided to shut-it down for precautionary measures.
mdanyc03
AG
Thanks Hop.

So any particular reason he has been the only guy on the roster absent from the work out videos?

I am just thinking back to two years ago when we found out after the fact that House had screws put into his foot and missed the entire summer all the way through the Europe trip or last year when we heard in November that Eubanks had rods put into his shins back in July.

Method Man
Uh oh
mdanyc03
AG
He apparently had surgery on his shoulder for a torn labrum. Sounds like toe is coming along fine.
Isaih Smollett
That don't sound good
mdanyc03
AG
machine20 said:

That don't sound good
Sounded good to me. I had noticed he wasn't in any of the work out videos and was concerned he had a set back for his foot/ toe. For a 6'8 guy that would be a major, major concern.

Surgery on his off shoulder is not nearly as big of a concern, in my opinion. He probably had it for a while but waited for the off season for surgery. He is shooting free throws and whatever, just can't lift or any contact or whatever right now.

The good news is his toe is recovering as expected and didn't/ won't require surgery.

PatAg
AG
I didn't even know he had a shoulder issue, I thought it was a foot thing. Crazy
jml2621
PatAg said:

I didn't even know he had a shoulder issue, I thought it was a foot thing. Crazy

It may explain his off shooting and some of the TOs.
GE
AG
jml2621 said:

PatAg said:

It may explain his off shooting and some of the TOs.
Especially the super weak overhead passes
GrayMatter
AG
He couldn't accelerate (push off) nor explode (lift off) as well as early in the season. If you look at footage from the beginning he rebounded at a pretty good rate, but he just didn't look comfortable out there right after his injury.
Method Man
Hope he gets the rehab he needs at is stronger than ever.
mdanyc03
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

He couldn't accelerate (push off) nor explode (lift off) as well as early in the season. If you look at footage from the beginning he rebounded at a pretty good rate, but he just didn't look comfortable out there right after his injury.
Absolutely. For some reason the consensus lasting memory for DJ's sophomore year is from the 4 games he played at about half speed with a broken, severely swollen toe (and apparently a torn labrum too).

He was our second best player (and at times our best player) prior to the injury.
94chem
Quote:

I didn't even know he had a shoulder issue,
Why do basketball players get shoulder injuries? I understand baseball pitchers and volleyball players.

Hope they're not making these tall drink of water guys do max lifting. KD couldn't do one rep at 220 - he seems to be pretty good in spite of it.
Pumpkinhead
AG
94chem said:

Quote:

I didn't even know he had a shoulder issue,
Why do basketball players get shoulder injuries? I understand baseball pitchers and volleyball players.

Hope they're not making these tall drink of water guys do max lifting. KD couldn't do one rep at 220 - he seems to be pretty good in spite of it.
Shoulder injuries are pretty common in Basketball. Besides just the physical stuff with guys grabbing and yanking arms trying to fight over screens, drive into the lane, fight for a rebounds, etc...there is stuff like tendonitis in the rotator cuff from all the repetitive lifting of arms over head, going through shooting motions etc. A guy like Hogg is probably shooting hundreds of practice shots per day and that stuff can add up. And minor injuries if ignored can sometimes get more serious, where you get rotator cuff tears.

CactusThomas
AG
Olins latest article mentions just about everyone except for Hogg and Vila.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Saw Vila at HEB the other day, aside from being tall as heck, his side piece was mighty fine too, can see why he's deciding to stay!
CactusThomas
Yell Practice
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.