Player Development Thread- Tyler Davis

7,796 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txag72 said:

I just meant to develop a shot outside of 5' as everyone is saying. I was just insinuating that that is about the only way he can get his hands on the ball.
Just to interject some facts into this discussion, only 20% of Tyler's shots at the rim come off offensive rebounds. I think the offense does a pretty good job of getting him touches down low.
txag72
AG
That's 20% of a much lower number than the year before I'd venture to guess, partly because of Williams, but also because of guard play.
wacarnolds
AG
txag72 said:

That's 20% of a much lower number than the year before I'd venture to guess, partly because of Williams, but also because of guard play.

?
PatAg
AG
wacarnolds said:

txag72 said:

I just meant to develop a shot outside of 5' as everyone is saying. I was just insinuating that that is about the only way he can get his hands on the ball.
Just to interject some facts into this discussion, only 20% of Tyler's shots at the rim come off offensive rebounds. I think the offense does a pretty good job of getting him touches down low.
Depends what you mean by "pretty good job of getting him touches down low"
I would submit that the quality of those touches is quite low, overall. I think that's definitely soemthing that COULD be improved next year, but Im not too hopeful with kennedy as the coach.
wacarnolds
AG
In the realm of college basketball, it's pretty good imo. You can always improve though and better spacing due to better shooters next year will help.
mdanyc03
AG

This is one of the great things about Tyler
mdanyc03
AG
In Logan's interview with Tyler (on premium), Tyler said his off season priority is to work on his jump shot so that he has a consistent 15-17 foot (his words) jump shot. He mentioned that will allow them to create space and exploit mismatches on Robert.

He said his S&C work is focused on becoming more explosive and he is staying away from heavier weights because he is big and strong enough. Also said his goal was to be "the best player on college basketball."
bobinator
AG
Man... maybe we really could all be college basketball coaches...
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

Man... maybe we really could all be college basketball coaches...
We could definitely at least be on the bench and just repeat what the coach says but louder.
mdanyc03
AG

Jj mentions Tyler's improving jump shot.
Method Man
He's super skinny.
GatorAg03
AG
The absolute last thing Tyler Davis should be working on this summer is his 3 ball.

The nba is definitely going to the stretch 4s and now 5s, but you don't need or really even want that in the college game right now and there is plenty of time to work on that after college.

Davis should spend all his time working on his athleticism, post passing, recognizing doubles, FTs and getting comfortable shooting the mid range jumper efficiently. Until he does all that well, he should not worry a bit about shooting the 3 ball.

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible idea and about the worst use of time imaginable for Tyler Davis at this point in his development.
GrayMatter
AG
I don't think anyone has said that Tyler is practicing shooting 3 point jumpers. All JJ Caldwell said was the he was working on his jumpshot.

Having a free throw jumper, roughly (13-15 ft) will help his game especially when receiving it in the high post when they are zoning us or for a high-low offense with Williams on the block.

I really don't think Davis will be shooting 3 point shots unless it's at the end of the shot clock; he's too valuable on the low block. However, if he extended his game a bit, he would be that much more lethal.

Last year he looked uncomfortable taking those 15 footers so hopefully he won't hesitate on taking those should he find himself wide open.
GatorAg03
AG
I completely agree. I was referencing the OPs point #3.
bmart97
AG
We need our bigs to be solid around the rim and at the high post, maybe the baseline mid range. Those guys will distroy teams free throw line in if they are surrounded by guards who can knock down their shots and drive. I'd hate to see our best two post players standing around the three point line when they separate us from everyone else by dominating the paint.
mdanyc03
AG
Well good thing that literally nobody in the world wants our bigs to stand around by the three point line.
Serious Lee
Quote:

1. Continue conditioning improvement/ athletic development.
check

bmart97
AG
Except you? In order to shoot two three's a game as you suggested, you need to be hanging out there too often instead of crashing the boards, dominating the paint or knocking down a mid-range jumper. I don't won't Davis & Williams' spacing to look like Tony Trocha, I want Shaq & Shawn Kemp (high/low) surrounded by guys who can drill the three.
mdanyc03
AG
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
Tyler has also improved his face up game. I think everyone will see him face up, jab at the defender to get them on their heels and then hit a nice 10-15 footer.

I've seen him do that twice in each exhibition/scrimmage, the best and most fluid against Texas (but he missed the shot). Kid has been working hard on his game and his physique.

Definitely one of, if not the most, disciplined and focused guy on the team.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Logan Lee said:

Tyler has also improved his face up game. I think everyone will see him face up, jab at the defender to get them on their heels and then hit a nice 10-15 footer.

I've seen him do that twice in each exhibition/scrimmage, the best and most fluid against Texas (but he missed the shot). Kid has been working hard on his game and his physique.

Definitely one of, if not the most, disciplined and focused guy on the team.
Can we get a 20 & 20 double double game out of him vs. WVU please?

He had a 19 point, 18 rebound game vs. those jokers in Morgantown last Jan. So all I'm asking from him really is just a liiiiiiiiitle bit more.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.