National transfer info

2,134 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mdanyc03
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This guy is a Marquette fan, but he tries to keep this blog updated.

transfers
wacarnolds
AG
His thoughts on our 2 transfers

Quote:

Duane Wilson- 62 185 lb RSJR PG from Marquette

16.4 mpg, 4.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.1 bpg, 0.8 tpg, .422 FG%, .688 FT% .333 3P%

This one brings a tear to my eye. For the first time since the graduate transfer rule was created, Marquette is on the receiving end. Wilson arrived at Marquette as a top 60 recruit and a piece of that highly touted top 10 2013 Marquette recruiting class. The expectation was that Wilson would take over for the often criticized Derrick Wilson at the point. Instead, Duane suffered a stress fracture and Buzz opted to redshirt him for the entire season. The Milwaukee native didn't need long to impress Marquette fans. He dropped 15 on Michigan State and then a career high 30 on Tennessee in Marquette's holiday tournament that year. He got starter level minutes in his first two seasons on the court though he often came off the bench. He never did take over the point guard position, instead he was used as an off guard. Marquette's most recent season was by far the best of the Wojo era, but Wilson was not the beneficiary. He saw his minutes and production shrink dramatically, becoming the third man off the bench. There were lots of theories thrown around, nagging injury, didn't fit in the offense, even mind games by the coach. But mostly it seemed like the offensive talent around him got much better and Wojo decided to invest in the offense at the expense of the defense. Duane was one of the best if not the best perimeter defender on the team and he was key in Marquette's upset of #1 Villanova. More than anything, he will be missed as the emotional leader of the team. Even as his role on the court shrank, Duane kept a great attitude and was the first one to congratulate and support his teammates. Whatever team picks him up will gain a fantastic human beingand if he can return to his freshman/sophomore year form.a solid contributor on the court. Texas A&M has already lined up a visit with Duane.
UPDATE (4/1): Duane wasted no time. He is now a member of the Texas A&M Aggies. (Gig 'Em)

Quote:

Josh Nebo- 6"8 215 lb SO PF from St. Francis (PA)

30.2 mpg, 12.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.3 spg, 2.6 bpg, 2.4 tpg .559 FG%, .595 FT%, .500 3P% (1-2)

Dedicated Marquette fans might find the name Josh Nebo vaguely familiar. That's because the Houston native played against Marquette in their second to last game of the non-conference season, a 13 point victory for the Golden Eagles. Nebo had a limited impact in that game due to early foul trouble, scoring 6 points, grabbing 5 boards, and rejecting 2 shots. The rest of the season, he was a double double machine, cleaning up the glass and putting it in for easy points. The rebounding numbers are great, but really makes Nebo stand out is his defensive presence. The 2.6 blocks are impressive on their own, but Nebo was a lockdown rim protector even when he couldn't swat the ball. His .731 ppp allowed was among the top 15 % of division players last season. He has the strength to defend in the post but also the lateral quickness and timing to thwart penetrating guards. His pick and roll defense was exemplary, only allowing .375 ppp. All of this led to his earning the NEC's Defensive Player of the Year award. Nebo's defense and rebounding could earn him a spot on a high major roster looking for a defender with size. Marquette could have absolutely used him this last season, but that need is theoretically being addressed by Theo John and Ike Eke.

Update (4/7): Nebo has committed to Texas A&M. The Aggies are striking early and often on the transfer market this season.

GrayMatter
AG
Thanks for the info.

BK is putting a premium on defense which is never a bad thing.
Hop
Staff
AG
I'm probably more excited about what Wilson can bring to the defensive side of the ball than anything else. If the freshmen point guards don't play defense like many freshmen tend to do, Wilson will take their minutes and that forces the freshmen to focus on their defense to earn minutes. That alone is enough to warrant Wilson's addition to the team.
txag72
AG
Seems like the "all or nothing" roller coaster ride of BK is heading up the slope again. Hopefully, there's a plateau at the top of this ride and not another dip.
mallen
AG
Looks like two really solid transfers to complement a nationally ranked 2017 recruiting class. Wilson will be an immediate impact player and Nebo will help shore up the Aggies interior game once Williams departs. Solid A grade for the coaching staff for this off season.

Now the focus will be on the 2018 class.
_lefraud_
AG
Hop said:

I'm probably more excited about what Wilson can bring to the defensive side of the ball than anything else. If the freshmen point guards don't play defense like many freshmen tend to do, Wilson will take their minutes and that forces the freshmen to focus on their defense to earn minutes. That alone is enough to warrant Wilson's addition to the team.
Which also means Caldwell and/or Starks will likely transfer, ala Alex Robinson.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Hop said:

Which also means Caldwell and/or Starks will likely transfer, ala Alex Robinson.

Anything is possible in college basketball, but this situation and Robinson's situation are a little different. Robinson was a returning sophomore and he was the heir apparent. Getting Collins and asking Robinson to redshirt was basically telling him they didn't have faith in his abilities going forward. Wilson is an insurance policy for these guys who are incoming freshmen and is no comment on their abilities. I don't think they will feel this move is a vote of no confidence since they are freshmen. But I'm not going to pretend that I know what is inside the head of a couple of 18-19 year-olds, so we'll see.

Pumpkinhead
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Hop said:

If you were suggesting that Caldwell or Starks will now 'likely transfer' in the next couple of months, I'll just assume you are trolling
Pumpkinhead
AG
I was skeptical about Hampton when we signed him because I remember looking at his resume at Lipscomb versus major conference opponents and didn't see much that impressed me.

Definitely more comfortable about Wilson at the time of the signing. Played at a major basketball program in a solid hoops conference. Has had some good games in his past versus good competition (including this recent January he played an important role in Marquette beating #1 Villanova). And similar to Collins and Hampton before him, seems to check off all the 'good locker room guy' boxes.

Assuming some sort of injury problem doesn't derail him, I think we'll likely get a solid season out of Wilson.

I don't know what to think about the other kid (Nebo). He had a good year but was against mostly weaker competition. I guess I'm a bit skeptical on him similar to Hampton, until proven otherwise. Though for next year doesn't matter since he is sitting out anyways.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Good thing about nebo is we will see him for a year playing against good competition and I'm sure if he has no shot at playing he will transfer out before being elegible.
_lefraud_
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

_lefraud_ said:

Hop said:

If you were suggesting that Caldwell or Starks will now 'likely transfer' in the next couple of months, I'll just assume you are trolling

Damn pump. Sometimes I think you and Yell Practice are the same person. The fact you got multiple posters to star your post is truly mind blowing.
greg.w.h
AG
I think I never troll except about PH correcting his posts...
jml2621
Hop said:

I guess, but if he shoots 29% 3FG we're back where we were for 2/3 of last year with double teams on Davis and Hogg. Wilson's A:TO ratio was not so great. 47%eFG

Wojo is defensive minded - presumably Markus Howard was just too good on the offensive end, with less length - over 50% 3FG.

Our defensive 3FG% usually sucks under Kennedy because he prefers to double the dribble drive rather than ball pressure and getting back to cover the 3 ball...I'd rather trade 3 for 2 rather than vice versa.

Steals and bucket. That's the way Billy ball can work. Wilson gets neither in quantity. 10-15 mpg or less like last season with the second team is fine.

Caldwell will have to step up. Starks or Chandler should be able to contribute 10 mpg if needed.

The newcomer of real interest is Flagg. He could blow up at the wing and even play occasional 4. I think he shares minutes with Hogg. Flagg is physical and is going to push it. RW and Flagg are going to thrill fans next year IMO. I expect Davis to display more passing and even better post moves. He gets it done. Hogg will have to be more physical and work on his handle. Have said that, just when Hampton figured out his role as a combo guard and was shooting > 40% 3FG, Hogg's injury IMO cost us a couple of games - I thought he received far too much hate for being asked to do what Gilder ended up doing - controlling the ball in the half court.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Elijah Thomas didn't play while injured and transferred

There is no tellingwhat these kids will do

• That said, about 40% of all MBB players who enter Division I directly out of high school depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ryno01 said:

• That said, about 40% of all MBB players who enter Division I directly out of high school depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball
Yep, as has been stated many times on this board and in articles as you have posted, odds are that one or more of these new guys won't finish their college career at A&M.

LeFraud was still trying to troll Hop though. And he knows it .
mdanyc03
AG
Ryno01 said:

It should also be pointed out that percentage is not higher than the general (non athlete) student population
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.