Eubanks transferring

10,566 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GoodOldAgs
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vila next?
TangoMike
Neither one is very good. If they stay they'll be garbage time guys. Hope they find somewhere they can get meaningful minutes.
Clavell
AG
Caleb Smith also transferring.
CypressAg09
AG
I think Vila could be good. I hope he stays.
gougler08
AG
Round and round we go on the transfer merry go round
Aggie09Derek
AG
Healthy
BQ_90
AG
gougler08 said:

this is the new norm in MBB
Know Your Enemy
AG
Is anyone really upset at this news?
Hop
Staff
AG
gougler08 said:

Are you suggesting that's a good thing or bad thing?
Method Man
Junkhead said:

Is anyone really upset at this news?

No.
gougler08
AG
Hop said:

gougler08 said:

Are you suggesting that's a good thing or bad thing?

I'm not really sure it's either, we just seem to have a lot of transfers in and out each season (a perception, not backed up with numbers and how we are compared to other schools). It's been hit or miss for us so far
greg.w.h
AG
Fluidity in transfers is a good thing.
TXAggie2011
AG
gougler08 said:

we just seem to have a lot of transfers in and out each season (a perception, not backed up with numbers and how we are compared to other schools). It's been hit or miss for us so far

Good or bad, it's not just perception that we have had lots of transfers compared to other schools.
sincereag
I suppose this makes room for Josh Nebo
zmurda
Was Kobie ever given a real chance? We obviously only saw flashes in garbage time, but I thought he showed promise. I also thought he looked like a decent long range guy, which we desperately needed this season with DJ's brick city performances.

Hope this makes room for another good transfer, but I question whether he got a real shot or not. If I believed in BK, I wouldn't question it....
Pumpkinhead
AG
zmurda said:

Was Kobie ever given a real chance? We obviously only saw flashes in garbage time, but I thought he showed promise. I also thought he looked like a decent long range guy, which we desperately needed this season with DJ's brick city performances.

Hope this makes room for another good transfer, but I question whether he got a real shot or not. If I believed in BK, I wouldn't question it....
Fought some significant injuries/conditioning issues. A lot of time and effort was spent in rehab and working with Darby, but my impression is he was never able to really get back to where he was athletically when he was an ESPN top-100 recruit in HS.

Below is a decent article going through all the challenges that he faced.

http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/pain-no-longer-in-way-for-aggie-men-s-kobie/article_b28ff762-f8c3-11e6-a1ed-e7c930af3563.html

Once the Josh Nebo news came out that he might be transferring to A&M, we were at 14 scholarships so it was clear that somebody had to leave to make room for a guy like Nebo. With all the guards/wings available next season (Wilson, Caldwell, Chandler, Flagg, Hogg, Starks, Gilder) plus his medical issues, Eubanks seemed the most likely guy that wouldn't make the cut.
Bondag
AG
Quote:

COLLEGE STATION Texas A&M basketball's depth chart has taken a hit as guards Kobie Eubanks and Caleb Smith are transferring, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

The sophomore Eubanks, a former four-star prospect from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., played in 17 of the Aggies' 31 games last season and 117 minutes total, averaging less than a point a game. The freshman Smith, who led Bridgeport High to the 2015 Class 4A state title, played in 14 games and 101 minutes total, averaging 1.6 ppg.

The Aggies intend to add graduate transfer Duane Wilson Jr. next season from Marquette. The guard should be immediately eligible to play, and add depth to the roster.
Brent is being a little lazy on this one.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Man knows what the people want to hear!
Chuck Gay
AG
Did we take a "hit" to the depth chart or did we "upgrade" the depth chart?
RG20
Sounds like a crappy job of recruiting...
wacarnolds
AG
RG20 said:

Of Billy Kennedy's 23 recruiting signees, 13 have now transferred within 2 years or, in the case of Corprew, failed to qualify. Didn't include D. House or J. Jones, but both finished their 2 years here.

Broken down by class...

2012 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2013 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2014 - all 3 were gone within 2 years
2015 - 2/5 were gone within 2 years
2016 - 2/5 were gone within 2 years (won't be surprised to see a 3rd leave)
TMartin
Did KE hurt himself before or after A&M recruited him?
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

RG20 said:

Of Billy Kennedy's 23 recruiting signees, 13 have now transferred within 2 years or, in the case of Corprew, failed to qualify. Didn't include D. House or J. Jones, but both finished their 2 years here.

Broken down by class...

2012 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2013 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2014 - all 3 were gone within 2 years
2015 - 2/5 were gone within 2 years
2016 - 2/5 were gone within 2 years (won't be surprised to see a 3rd leave)
Here was an interesting article on the basketball transfer rate, which has been gradually increasing year to year.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/07/29/top-100-high-school-recruits-transfer-behavior-study

The article mentions that 46.7% of the 2011 HS class nationally ending up attending multiple colleges over the next four years. Presumably the national transfer rate is now somewhere around 50% or even a bit more (it certainly doesn't seem to be slowing down).

I think we can all generally agree that the transfer rate specifically at Texas A&M appears to have been higher than the national average (approx. 54% using Wac's data compared to the approx. 50% national average?) but that national average is itself already pretty high. It is a discussion point but how important of a discussion point to the bottom line (winning basketball games) seems to require more than just looking at a % transfer rate.

After all, per Wac's data above, 9 out of 13 guys transferred out of the program before the 2015-2016 season (69.2%) but that didn't hinder Texas A&M from winning 28 games, the SEC conference title, and going to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen in 2015-2016. However, you can state that one of the 2014 transfers specifically (Alex Robinson) did end up clearly hurting the 2016-2017 season because of how things played out.

So is such churn good or bad? Seems like the answer is 'it depends'. And it depends not only on exactly who left, but also on exactly who came in to replace them.
mazag08
AG
Why do we care who transfers out if the guys transferring in are better?

Other than Alex Robinson and Elijah Thomas (who nobody ever blamed Kennedy for, most called him premature and an idiot), name one player who transferred out and has had an impact on a relatively major D1 team.
Pumpkinhead
AG
TMartin said:

Did KE hurt himself before or after A&M recruited him?
The article that I linked above gives you a pretty decent insight into Kobe's last couple of years, when he started having problems, etc.
wacarnolds
AG
mazag08 said:

Why do we care who transfers out if the guys transferring in are better?
2 reasons

1. The lack of depth is a year-after-year excuse with this staff. We might win the 1-for-1 trade, but in reality we probably needed both players for a complete roster.
2. The high % of busts tells us that we aren't recruiting the right players in a lot of cases. They don't fit culturally, or they aren't good enough to be developed, or they aren't good enough on their own to overcome the lack of development.

If we had made 3 or 4 of the last 6 tournaments, it wouldn't be such a hot topic. 1 out of 6 and everything is worth looking at.
wacarnolds
AG
mazag0 said:

Other than Alex Robinson and Elijah Thomas (who nobody ever blamed Kennedy for, most called him premature and an idiot), name one player who transferred out and has had an impact on a relatively major D1 team.
I'm biased, but this tells me more about how we are struggling with recruiting than it does about how we are using the transfer market to build the program.

More than 50% of the guys we recruit aren't good enough. That's bad in my opinion.
TXAggie2011
AG
As was covered in another thread, there's much more comprehensive study out there, and it shows bout 80 programs tops a year have 3 transfers. In fact, a minority of teams have 2 or more a year. To do so repeatedly has A&M as one of the higher turnover rosters in the country---and that's of course not because we have lots of 1-and dones or lots of guys leaving at all early for the NBA.

Good or bad, we can argue that all day long, but A&M has had high turnover and that's simply a fact.
GE
AG
Somebody name a transfer out other than Robinson or Thomas that you really wish we had back
mhayden
I don't find the turnover rate in itself concerning as far as our performance goes... I do think it shoots holes in the "BK is such a classy coach and mentor and he truly cares about every single one of these kids unlike most coaches" shtick.

He's got no problem running a kid off if he's got a better recruit he needs to make room for. Just like most coaches.

It's about winning.
wacarnolds
AG
GE said:

Somebody name a transfer out other than Robinson or Thomas that you really wish we had back
Rick Stansbury
wacarnolds
AG
But seriously, if you believe the excuse that we didn't have a roster capable of making the NCAAT once Danuel House missed 2 games, then your answer is Jamal Jones.

Now tell me all the reasons he transferred and how House/Stansbury was better than Jamal/Cyp and we can have the same conversation we've had a hundred times.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Specifically for next year's roster, the most important news by far was Robert Williams coming back and (to a lesser extent) Trocha.

Smith and Eubanks news is just 'noise'.

Now I would be a bit bummed if we lost anybody else on the roster (Vila seems like the only guy you'd look at maybe...cause Gilder, Hogg, Davis, Williams, Trocha, Caldwell, Flagg, Starks, Jasey, Wilson,Chandler..those 11 guys are pretty much set in stone now for next year). Eubanks/Smith were guards and that cupboard is now stocked...but Vila is a more unique 6'11" euro wing type with some skills, so I'm hoping that they can keep him around for at least one more year to see how he pans out.
txag72
AG
Quote:

However, you can state that one of the 2014 transfers specifically (Alex Robinson) did end up clearly hurting the 2016-2017 season because of how things played out.
I'll go so far as to say his "transfer" hurt the 2015-2016 season (Gilder ended up playing PG way too much because of less than 100% competence at that position all year), and the 2017-2018 season by not having an experienced, home grown senior instead of another transfer and a fish.
GE
AG
txag72 said:

Quote:

However, you can state that one of the 2014 transfers specifically (Alex Robinson) did end up clearly hurting the 2016-2017 season because of how things played out.
I'll go so far as to say his "transfer" hurt the 2015-2016 season (Gilder ended up playing PG way too much because of less than 100% competence at that position all year), and the 2017-2018 season by not having an experienced, home grown senior instead of another transfer and a fish.
Do you mean Caruso? Gilder very rarely played PG as a fish.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.