SEC 2017 Transfer Thread

3,705 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just some quick ones to start off. If anybody notices any updates, maybe note them here.

Transferring Out:

Caleb Smith (Texas A&M to ?)

Kobe Eubanks (Texas A&M to ?)

Nick King (Alabama to MTSU)

Ar'Mond Davis (Alabama to ?)

Brandon Austin (Alabama to ?)

TJ Lang (Auburn to ?)

Kwe Parker (Tennessee to ?)

KJ Walton (Missouri to ?)

Frankie Hughes (Missouri to ?)

Transferring In:

Duane Wilson (Marquette to Texas A&M)
wacarnolds
AG

K.J. Walton and Frankie Hughes to transfer from Missouri
Hop
Staff
AG
What's going on w Avery Johnson? Three transfers in one semester. That can't be a good sign.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

K.J. Walton and Frankie Hughes to transfer from Missouri

Thanks Wac. Updated.
sincereag
Really like how our coaches were aggressive early this year in the transfer game and got a good one in Duane Wilson.
Method Man
He should provide leadership if anything else but there are better players available (I think). They got the low hanging fruit and that's okay.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

He should provide leadership if anything else but there are better players available (I think). They got the low hanging fruit and that's okay.

Wilson played for a major basketball program (Marquette) in a solid hoops conference (Big East).

He played in 95 games (51 starts) in 3 years at Marquette. He was selected to be a team captain his redshirt junior year. He ended up starting their last 7 games last season after being moved to a role player position for most of the season (which also says something about his attitude).

Wojo had Wilson playing out on the court at the end of the game when Marquette beat #1 ranked Villanova 74-72 back in mid-Jan. In that game, Wilson played 18 minutes (including the last 13 minutes of the game when Marquette made their comeback) and scored 11 points. With 46 seconds left in the game, Wilson made two free throws to put Marquette up 72-70 at the time.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/mugame20.html

I am more comfortable about this transfer pickup than I was about Hampton, who was coming out of a small school with not much of a resume vs major opponents.

GrayMatter
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

Wilson played for a major basketball program (Marquette) in a solid hoops conference (Big East).

He played in 95 games (51 starts) in 3 years at Marquette. He was selected to be a team captain his redshirt junior year. He ended up starting their last 7 games last season after being moved to a role player position for most of the season (which also says something about his attitude).

Wojo had Wilson playing out on the court at the end of the game when Marquette beat #1 ranked Villanova 74-72 back in mid-Jan. In that game, Wilson played 18 minutes (including the last 13 minutes of the game when Marquette made their comeback) and scored 11 points. With 46 seconds left in the game, Wilson made two free throws to put Marquette up 72-70 at the time.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/mugame20.html

I am more comfortable about this transfer pickup than I was about Hampton, who was coming out of a small school with not much of a resume vs major opponents.

So are you thinking that Wilson is going to get Hampton minutes and Caldwell is coming off the bench? Or do you think Caldwell starts and Wilson finishes games?

I'm guessing BK learned his lesson about leaving the cupboard empty of PG's.
PJYoung
AG
Hop said:

What's going on w Avery Johnson? Three transfers in one semester. That can't be a good sign.
sleepybeagle
AG
This can't be a good sign
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Nick King (Alabama to ?)

King will be playing for Kermit Davis at MTSU
old yeller
AG
Method Man said:

Love your always optimistic input
Method Man
mallen
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

So are you thinking that Wilson is going to get Hampton minutes and Caldwell is coming off the bench? Or do you think Caldwell starts and Wilson finishes games?

I'm guessing BK learned his lesson about leaving the cupboard empty of PG's.

I think the playing time dynamics will be fluid depending on how well Caldwell handles the learning curve defensively. Play solid defense and earn more playing time. I am assuming Caldwell will hit the ground running in terms of ball handling and distributing the basketball, so the big X factor for me is his defense.

Wilson is already proven defensively and Kennedy values defensive skill over offensive skill so I would expect Wilson to have the edge in playing time on Day 1 but I expect this to change weekly as Caldwell comes up to speed.
Method Man
It's hard for me to not laugh about BK preferring defensive skill over offensive skill. One is so much easier to teach than the other.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Updated with Eubanks.
wacarnolds
AG
Florida gets a good one

mikesyracuse1
Markel Crawford from Memphis visiting wku today and ole miss tomorrow

Mikesyracuse1
mdanyc03
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Updated with Eubanks.

I think Eubanks is retiring from basketball and staying in school rather than transferring
CapCityAg89
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Updated with Eubanks.

I think Eubanks is retiring from basketball and staying in school rather than transferring

Based on the health related stories, this would be better for him (focus on life after basketball), but have you heard this somewhere or is it just your deduction?
mdanyc03
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

mdanyc03 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Updated with Eubanks.

Based on the health related stories, this would be better for him (focus on life after basketball), but have you heard this somewhere or is it just your deduction?

I mean it was never announced he was transferring. All his social media stuff says a&m. All we know is he won't be on the roster next year.
wacarnolds
AG
mdanyc03 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

mdanyc03 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Updated with Eubanks.

I mean it was never announced he was transferring. All his social media stuff says a&m. All we know is he won't be on the roster next year.
Jeff Goodman at ESPN reported he and Caleb Smith were transferring. Don't think anything official has been released by the school, for either player.
TMartin
The transfer phenomenon is affecting football and basketball so get used to it. College is becoming the pros.
wacarnolds
AG
Ole Miss gets a scorer

mikesyracuse1
mikesyracuse1 said:

Markel Crawford from Memphis visiting wku today and ole miss tomorrow

Mikesyracuse1

Good pick up for ole miss. I was hoping he would go to wku to give Stansburys young team some balance.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19197127/memphis-tigers-graduate-transfer-markel-crawford-commits-ole-miss-rebels
http://es.pn/2oMUTab

Mikesyracuse1
Serious Lee
if he was gonna come to the SEC, im glad its ole miss
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

It's hard for me to not laugh about BK preferring defensive skill over offensive skill. One is so much easier to teach than the other.

I would even claim naturally talented basketball players are almost always offense oriented while defense is always a learned skill set. Not to say that talent/athleticism isn't involved in specific skills like steals, blocks and rebounds (think Rodman who was uncanny on rebounds), but effective techniques for disrupting passing, recognizing and guiding offensive decision making, and responding to ball v help and rotations are all taught and therefore more skill than natural athletic in-situation responses.

But of course offense is taught, too...even to physically gifted athletes...
Double Diamond
Huggins has won 800+ games recruiting this way. Maybe it's why he doesn't have a title. But still it can get you a long way.
CactusThomas
AG
Welcome back, Ben. I was wondering if that was you.
mikesyracuse1
CactusThomas said:

Welcome back, Ben. I was wondering if that was you.
mikesyracuse1
Here's a good link with top transfers and transfers by conference. Updated as of 4/21.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19187379/where-college-basketball-best-transfers-going-2017-18-season#ACC

mikesyracuse1
mikesyracuse1
Visiting UK today

mikesyracuse1

3. Cameron Johnson, SF, RS Jr., Pittsburgh Panthers (graduate): Much of the intrigue with Johnson comes from his shooting ability (41.5 percent from 3-point range) and the fact he has two years of eligibility but can play right away (because of the redshirt year). Kentucky, Florida, Michigan, Oregon and others are involved.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.