A&M ranked #22 in way-too-early top 25

4,038 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by t - cam
StickTogetherAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://twitter.com/********/status/849287302098636800
greg.w.h
AG
bobinator
AG
Here's the direct link: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/way-too-early-top-25-for-the-2017-18-college-basketball-season-043001438.html

My constant soapbox: give clicks to content aggregators, give them to the original content. Especially if the aggregator isn't going to just give a summary and then a link. They're basically taking clicks away from the original content.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Quote:

22. TEXAS A&M

Quote:

Key losses: G J.C. Hampton, F Tavario Miller
Key returners: F Robert Williams, F D.J. Hogg, G Admon Gilder, F Tyler Davis, F Tonny Trocha-Morelos, G J.J. Caldwell
Notable newcomers: G Duane Wilson, G Savion Flagg, G D.J. Starks, G Jay Jay Chandler
Outlook: The Aggies, like TCU, could be a sneaky surprise pick. They not only more or less have all five starters returning; they have a player, Williams, who would have been a first-round pack had he declared for the draft. They will also get much improved play at point guard from the combo of Caldwell, who was ruled ineligible last season, and Wilson, a graduate transfer from Marquette. A&M underachieved in 2016-17, but could have a big bounce-back year in 2017-18.
BobOliver2006
AG
Interesting that they list Caldwell as a returner and not a newcomer...
bobinator
AG
They also said he was declared ineligible so it sort of fits I guess. I hope our super secret closed door scrimmage next year is against somebody really good, sort of feels like we're throwing our guards to the wolves opening up with West Virginia, but that's life I guess.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

They also said he was declared ineligible so it sort of fits I guess. I hope our super secret closed door scrimmage next year is against somebody really good, sort of feels like we're throwing our guards to the wolves opening up with West Virginia, but that's life I guess.

We really open vs WV?
bobinator
AG
Yeah, in Germany
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, in Germany

Yeesh. T&P for those freshmen.
sleepybeagle
AG
GE
AG
wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

Yeah, in Germany

Yeesh. T&P for those freshmen.
T&P for WVU.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

We really open vs WV?
Could we schedule a home game vs. a creampuff prior to the WV game?
wacarnolds
AG
82 Ag said:

wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

We really open vs WV?
Could we schedule a home game vs. a creampuff prior to the WV game?
We made a last minute adjustment to our 2015-2016 OOC schedule in order to get Jalen Jones eligible for the Bahamas tournament. I'm sure could we get a game or two schedule if we wanted, but normally those are games that kill your SOS, so I'd caution over-doing it.
bobinator
AG
I'm pretty sure the game against West Virginia is on the very first allowable gameday of the season, that's what the "Armed Forces Classic" games have been the last few years.
The Collective
AG
Lundardi didn't put us in his first bracketology
GE
AG
Good thing about the West Virginny game is that if we win we'll be ranked pretty much immediately and start to get a lot of national attention. It will also be extremely helpful in measuring our guard play.
Serious Lee
Quote:

talk about an overstatement
Method Man
CJS4715 said:

Lundardi didn't put us in his first bracketology

Lunardi is a pud. He's never right until the day off. Again, pud.
bobinator
AG
He has everyone in the Big 12 but Kansas State either in the field or in the first 8 out...

But yeah, Lunardi sucks
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

He has everyone in the Big 12 but Kansas State either in the field or in the first 8 out...

But yeah, Lunardi sucks
Apparently considers Northwestern an annual NCAA tournament team now, making it for the second year in a row right after their first appearance in program history.
Method Man
There may not be anything more worthless than the lunardi mock bracket. EXCEPT the time they ran a complete mock special and talked about the fake matchups.
agfan1030
CBS preseason somewhat different....

No Aggies...

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/after-uncs-national-championship-heres-an-early-look-at-next-seasons-top-25-and-1/
txag72
AG
More SEC love from the "experts".
TheChameleon
AG
BobOliver2006 said:

Interesting that they list Caldwell as a returner and not a newcomer...

Yeah that's pretty much a mistake. He didn't play a single game. He's a newcomer
Hop
Staff
AG
He was basically a redshirt. I don't recall in football that people refer to redshirts as newcomers.
Isaih Smollett
This isn't football
Little Rock Ag
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Quote:

22. TEXAS A&M

Quote:

Key returners: F Robert Williams, F D.J. Hogg, G Admon Gilder, F Tyler Davis, F Tonny Trocha-Morelos, G J.J. Caldwell
Notable newcomers: G Duane Wilson, G Savion Flagg, G D.J. Starks, G Jay Jay Chandler
Outlook: The Aggies, like TCU, could be a sneaky surprise pick. They not only more or less have all five starters returning; they have a player, Williams, who would have been a first-round pack had he declared for the draft. They will also get much improved play at point guard from the combo of Caldwell, who was ruled ineligible last season, and Wilson, a graduate transfer from Marquette. A&M underachieved in 2016-17, but could have a big bounce-back year in 2017-18.

Under key losses, they left off "Coach B. Kennedy"
PatAg
AG
they sure as **** aren't referred to as 'returning'
TXAggie2011
AG
The style I've seen before and I'd use in such a profile is listing redshirts under newcomers with "(redshirt") after their name.

They're definitely not returners, as that very much suggests they were on the "active roster"the year prior, so to speak.

The whole point of the exercise is to conpare/contrast the roster with the previous season's and listing a redshirt as a returner completely misses the boat.
Hop
Staff
AG
machine20 said:

This isn't football

I'll make it simpler for you. He was on the team this year. Thus, he won't be a newcomer next year.
TXAggie2011
AG
For just about any useful and practical reason and for anyone who understands the point of that list and isn't just trolling, he's a newcomer.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Regardless of whether Caldwell is a 'newcomer' or not....he's good...the latest and greatest highlight film of Caldwell....

Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

For just about any useful and practical reason and for anyone who understands the point of that list and isn't just trolling, he's a newcomer.

You can thumbs-down all you want, but somebody who has been on the team for a year is not a newcomer.

The definition of newcomer is a person who has recently arrived. Caldwell has been at A&M for almost a year. When practice starts in October, he will have practiced with the team for 10-11 months.

That's why he's not listed as a newcomer.

TXAggie2011
AG
Go to bed, dude.
Hop
Staff
AG
I'm not the one arguing against a meaningless thumbnail summary put out by Yahoo.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.