The SEC in 17-18

6,561 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wacarnolds
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kentucky is actually gonna have length on the wings this year. And if they get that Bamba center to sign they'll have two five star centers. This really is a loaded Kentucky team.
jml2621
It will be tougher for everyone, including us.
GE
AG
Good year for the Ags to be good.
mallen
AG
Florida Junior Devin Robinson entering the draft. Averaged 11.1 and 6.1. Key component for Florida who will not return next season.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Huge hit for the Gamecocks.

For most of the regular season last year, the Gamecock's offensive execution was mediocre to bad. They finished ranked #91 nationally on Kenpom in adjusted offensive efficiency. The reason they still earned an NCAA #7 seed was elite defensive play (they finished ranked #3 nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency). But they lost 5 of their last 7 games in the regular season because of struggling to score points.

Then, in the NCAA tournament, the key reason that they made that Final Four run was, while maintaining that elite defensive play, they suddenly and surprisingly morphed into the Golden State Warriors on offense. Their offensive efficiency numbers across the board in those 5 NCAA games greatly improved from what they had shown during the first 30 something games of the year.

If you watched them during the NCAA tournament, their offensive execution mostly ran through the seniors Thornwell, Notice, and the sophomore Dozier (who was playing like a guy who looked like a first round NBA talent).

Now they lose all three of those guys, plus McKie. While they have some nice pieces coming back like that Felder kid and Silva and a couple others to note, I'm skeptical at this time that South Carolina will be able to do enough to earn an NCAA bid next season. I think Martin will still have them playing tough defense, but they struggled a ton on offense last year WITH Thornwell, Notice, Dozier, and McKie. I could easily seem them being ranked 100+ in offensive efficiency next year playing a younger, less experienced bunch...and that will probably mean 'rebuilding year' IMO.

But if you are a South Carolina fan. No biggie I would think if, this next season, the program somewhat tanks. That Final Four must have been a wonderful ride and unforgettable moment.
greg.w.h
AG
It's easy to predict that a school returning less experience won't perform well. What is harder to predict is whether a program that makes the final four receives an uplift in confidence that magically improves the talent and the coaching and also potentially affects recruiting positively as well.

I don't expect a F4 run for Carolina next year. But I didn't expect one this year, either.
Pumpkinhead
AG
greg.w.h said:

It's easy to predict that a school returning less experience won't perform well. What is harder to predict is whether a program that makes the final four receives an uplift in confidence that magically improves the talent and the coaching and also potentially affects recruiting positively as well.

I don't expect a F4 run for Carolina next year. But I didn't expect one this year, either.

I personally don't expect South Carolina to make another Final Four in my lifetime. I think, for a school like a South Carolina or Texas A&M...if you somehow get the right combination of coaching, players, and luck to get to a Final Four, you just soak that moment up and treasure it. Odds are, you won't be back there again for a pretty long time.

wacarnolds
AG
wacarnolds
AG
And Kentucky's #1 recruit for 2017,Hamidou Diallo, has also declared for the NBA draft. Don't think he'll go through with it, though.
Pumpkinhead
AG
What I find particularly interesting, regarding the Kentucky things going on right now, is they really need to land that 5-star Bamba kid to replace their frontcourt losses. They might primarily be fighting over Bamba with the Longhorns right now (since Jarrett Allen declared, Cleare graduated, etc., seems like Shaka is in big need of getting some help in the front court).

wacarnolds
AG
Sedee Keita to transfer from South Carolina

Quote:

Keita, a native of Philadelphia, played limited minutes in his first year in Columbia. He averaged just 1.1 points and 2.0 rebounds per game, amassing just 9.6 minutes per contest while shooting 27.3 percent. He went along for the ride in South Carolina's shocking run to the Final Four in Glendale, but it appears that he is headed for hopefully greener pastures now.

Mississippi State's Mario Kegler Reportedly Looks to Transfer

Quote:

Mississippi State men's basketball just took another hit tonight. Mario Kegler, a key contributor for the Bulldogs down the stretch of a disappointing 2016-2017 campaign, is looking to play out his career elsewhere according to Scout.com's Evan Daniels.

Mississippi State freshman Mario Kegler has asked for his release to transfer, per sources. Averaged 9.7 PPG & 5.5 RPG.

Kegler's production improved down the stretch and he saw plenty of playing time for the Bulldogs. During SEC play last season, the Jackson, Mississippi native averaged 10.8 points and 5.6 rebounds, both up slightly from his average across the entire season. So far, Mississippi State has not released a statement on the matter.

Eli Wright to transfer from Mississippi State

Quote:

Wright made only one start and played in 30 games last season while averaging 13.1 minutes per game. The former four-star shooting guard prospect out of Kentucky will likely see more playing time elsewhere.
The backcourt is expected to be a strength for Mississippi State but it won't be as deep without Wright. After graduating I.J. Ready, the Bulldogs return Lamar Peters, who started at point guard when Ready missed time with injuries, and Tyson Carter, a sharp-shooter who can provide scoring off the bench.
wacarnolds
AG
Mississippi state basketball:

jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

greg.w.h said:

I personally don't expect South Carolina to make another Final Four in my lifetime. I think, for a school like a South Carolina or Texas A&M...if you somehow get the right combination of coaching, players, and luck to get to a Final Four, you just soak that moment up and treasure it. Odds are, you won't be back there again for a pretty long time.

With the right coach, A&M could visit the Sweet 16 regularly. The recruiting base in Texas is rich. Final Four still takes a lot of good fortune, or a boatload of talent.

SoCar had a miracle run including a "home" game against Duke. That's a lifetime of memories.

I think Martin has the verve to take USCe to the NCAAs every 2 or 3 years.
wacarnolds
AG
wacarnolds said:

Eli Wright to transfer from Mississippi State

Quote:

Wright made only one start and played in 30 games last season while averaging 13.1 minutes per game. The former four-star shooting guard prospect out of Kentucky will likely see more playing time elsewhere.
The backcourt is expected to be a strength for Mississippi State but it won't be as deep without Wright. After graduating I.J. Ready, the Bulldogs return Lamar Peters, who started at point guard when Ready missed time with injuries, and Tyson Carter, a sharp-shooter who can provide scoring off the bench.

Kids, man

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.