Josh Nebo (PF/St. Francis) - Another Transfer?

6,437 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PaRappa
numetalbizkitaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgsForTheWin
AG
Looks like just finished his sophomore year. Originally from Houston though.
LouisvilleAg
AG
http://www.altoonamirror.com/sports/local-sports/2017/03/sfus-nebo-to-transfer/

Quote:

Nebo was the Northeast Conference Defensive Player of the Year this season, finishing with a school-record 89 blocks. In only two seasons, he already set the SFU career record for blocks (144), and he posted a single-game school record with eight in the Northeast Conference Tournament semifinals three weeks ago at Wagner.
Nebo averaged 12.0 points and 8.2 rebounds this season and was named third-team all-NEC.
Krimmel said he had a great conversation with Nebo on Wednesday, and the young man expressed how he wanted to be closer to home.

Quote:

Nebo played on the same high school team as Kentucky standout freshman De'Aaron Fox. He was a late bloomer in high school and didn't have a lot of offers, but SFU assistant coach Andrew Helton had a recruiting connection from his time as an assistant at Texas A&M Corpus Christi.
Nebo decided to come all the way to Saint Francis, and as a freshman last year he showed good potential, averaging 4.9 points and 5.1 rebounds with 56 blocks. He became a major force this year, improving his stock greatly and giving himself a chance to transfer to a much bigger program if he so chooses.
Nebo will have to sit out a year before having two seasons of eligibility.
txag72
AG
Ohhhh, has to sit out a year. Well, 56 blocks should make up for a lot of loss in 2 years if he gets here.
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
Just FYI...

Not sure if it's a done deal just yet. I know the Ags are the front runners (if the only ones in the race at this point), but not all is said and done. It would be great for Nebo and great for the Aggies because of timing and everything, but not 100% complete.
GoodOldAgs
Who would be leaving to make room? Because if you take Collins off scholarship and add the freshman & the transfer Wilson we're at 13.
Hop
Staff
AG
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

Who would be leaving to make room? Because if you take Collins off scholarship and add the freshman & the transfer Wilson we're at 13.
Just wrote all this out for the heck of it:

Returning:
Kobie Eubanks*
DJ Hogg
Eric Vila*
Admon Gilder
JJ Caldwell
Tonny Trocha-Morelos
Tyler Davis
Robert Williams
----------------------------
8 Total

Freshmen:
Savion Flagg
TJ Starks
Jay Jay Chandler
Isiah Jasey
4 Total

Transfer:
Duane Wilson Jr.
Josh Nebo*
2 Total
mazag08
AG
If he were to transfer and nothing else changes we would be at 15 scholarship players. Here's my list with the players most likely to free up the two spaces we would need.

Caldwell
Starks
Chandler
Collins (could go off scholarship)
Caleb Smith (could go off scholarship or transfer)
Gilder
Eubanks (could transfer)
Hogg
Flagg
Vila (could transfer)
Williams
Trocha-Morelos
Davis
Jasey
Nebo
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Caleb Smith is transferring.

LouisvilleAg
AG
mazag08 said:

If he were to transfer and nothing else changes we would be at 15 scholarship players. Here's my list with the players most likely to free up the two spaces we would need.

Caldwell
Starks
Chandler
Gilder
Eubanks (could transfer)
Hogg
Flagg
Vila (could transfer)
Williams
Trocha-Morelos
Davis
Jasey
Nebo
Nebo would not play this year. Smith has already declared he is transferring. We are at 13 right now.
CypressAg09
AG
txag72 said:

Ohhhh, has to sit out a year. Well, 56 blocks should make up for a lot of loss in 2 years if he gets here.
This says he had 89 blocks this last year.

http://www.sfuathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5216
mallen
AG
Nebo and Williams posted surprisingly similar numbers this season, albeit against different competition.

Both around 12pts, 8 reb, 59% FG, 59% FT
Williams posted 77 blocks to Nebo's 87.
Nebo posted more minutes and turnovers.
mazag08
AG
LouisvilleAg said:

mazag08 said:

Update as I just learned that Duane Wilson is transferring in as well.

Caldwell
Starks
Chandler
Wilson
Gilder
Eubanks (could transfer)
Hogg
Flagg
Vila (could transfer)
Williams
Trocha-Morelos
Davis
Jasey
Nebo
Nebo would not play this year. Smith has already declared he is transferring. We are at 13 right now.

Rumors that Smith is transferring. I would expect Eubanks to transfer as well. Then it's either one more transfer or Collins goes off scholarship.
mdanyc03
AG
I've said this before but I still think it is more likely for Eubanks to retire and go on medical scholarship and finish school at a&m than transfer. He had a rod placed in both shins. Can't imagine him ever getting his full athleticism back.
GE
AG
I would not expect Collins to stay on scholarship
GE
AG
LouisvilleAg said:

mazag08 said:

Caldwell
Starks
Chandler
Gilder
Eubanks (could transfer)
Hogg
Flagg
Vila (could transfer)
Williams
Trocha-Morelos
Davis
Jasey
Nebo
Does he count against scholarships if he doesn't play this coming season?
Hop
Staff
AG
GE said:

LouisvilleAg said:

mazag08 said:

Caldwell
Starks
Chandler
Gilder
Eubanks (could transfer)
Hogg
Flagg
Vila (could transfer)
Williams
Trocha-Morelos
Davis
Jasey
Nebo

Yes, transfers sitting out count against the 13.
GE
AG
Hop said:

GE said:

LouisvilleAg said:

mazag08 said:

Caldwell
Starks
Chandler
Gilder
Eubanks (could transfer)
Hogg
Flagg
Vila (could transfer)
Williams
Trocha-Morelos
Davis
Jasey
Nebo
Yes, transfers sitting out count against the 13.
In that case I would assume we are done adding people for '17 and Collins will go off scholarship and somebody else will leave. Nebo would put us at 14. Really hope it's not Vila who leaves.
GoodOldAgs
mdanyc03 said:

I've said this before but I still think it is more likely for Eubanks to retire and go on medical scholarship and finish school at a&m than transfer. He had a rod placed in both shins. Can't imagine him ever getting his full athleticism back.

Wow, did not know this.. that is really unfortunate. Makes it seem likely Eubanks will be the the attrition needed to make room for Nebo, along with Collins getting off scholarship. Really hope it's not Vila. We'll only have a true freshman in Jasey to back up Williams if he leaves. Technically Hogg and TTM could play 4 but we need them at SF and C respectively to provide depth to those positions.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

To heck with Collins ! Right ?
mdanyc03
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

mdanyc03 said:

Wow, did not know this.. that is really unfortunate. Makes it seem likely Eubanks will be the the attrition needed to make room for Nebo, along with Collins getting off scholarship. Really hope it's not Vila. We'll only have a true freshman in Jasey to back up Williams if he leaves. Technically Hogg and TTM could play 4 but we need them at SF and C respectively to provide depth to those positions.
I am surprised how many people don't know this.

Eubanks was a top 100 national recruit out of high school. Showed up and his shins were always hurting him. After several months they had a look and found out both shins were full of fractures and they had to put in rods last summer.

Watch his high school highlights and he is throwing down monster windmill dunks and watch him now and he can hardly get both feet off the ground.

mdanyc03
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

GoodOldAgs said:

Huh? I don't think anybody is suggesting he go to hell. He came here as a walk on and I certainly don't think he is entitled to a scholarship. It was good of Kennedy to reward his hard work with a scholarship when we had one available. It would also be completely irresponsible of Kennedy to pass on talented players who can help the program in order to keep Collins on scholarship.
_lefraud_
AG
mdanyc03 said:

GoodOldAgs said:

Huh? I don't think anybody is suggesting he go to hell. He came here as a walk on and I certainly don't think he is entitled to a scholarship. It was good of Kennedy to reward his hard work with a scholarship when we had one available. It would also be completely irresponsible of Kennedy to pass on talented players who can help the program in order to keep Collins on scholarship.
All these moves could potentially hurt the APR, but I forgot we don't need that excuse anymore like we did in years 1-4.
wacarnolds
AG
_lefraud_ said:

mdanyc03 said:

GoodOldAgs said:

We can agree to disagree, but I think this goes against the montra that Kennedy is a great man or whatever. Also, all these moves could potentially hurt the APR, but I forgot we don't need that excuse anymore like we did in years 1-4.
Giving a guy a free year of schooling, when he could have chosen not to and let the scholarship go to waste, makes Kennedy a bad guy?

You seem to be letting bias cloud your observations.
TheAngelFlight
Ideally across sports, I think I'd want to see scholarships be more of a 4-year commitment or commitment until you graduate if you come on late, even if it's unofficial and not written into the contract like some of the conferences are trying to get done.

But I'm not going to label Kennedy a bad dude for sending guys out the door. It's just part of the territory in today's world.

His high turnover rate---and it is high--- certainly doesn't make Kennedy look like a stand up dude but if he thinks he's improving the roster by doing it, then he's got to do it.
_lefraud_
AG
I've edited my response. I was thinking Collins would be a Senior, and had been on scholarship for two years. Giving him a scholarship was the smart move, as it benefited both Collins and Kennedy.
mdanyc03
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

Ideally across sports, I think I'd want to see scholarships be more of a 4-year commitment or commitment until you graduate if you come on late, even if it's unofficial and not written into the contract like some of the conferences are trying to get done.

But I'm not going to label Kennedy a bad dude for sending guys out the door. It's just part of the territory in today's world.

His high turnover rate---and it is high--- certainly doesn't make Kennedy look like a stand up dude but if he thinks he's improving the roster by doing it, then he's got to do it.
I guess I don't understand why transfers are a bad thing, "morally" speaking.

If a coach tells a guy that he won't renew his scholarship (for a recruited player), that normally isn't cool. I don't think that is what usually happens.

If a coach tells a guy "I don't think you will get much playing time here", that seems perfectly honest and forthright to me. And if the guy wants to transfer, the coach should put in a good word for him. If he wants to stick it out, as long as he is working hard and keeping his end of the bargain, he should have that option. And if he just wants to be a student and finish school, he should have that option too.

I guess I don't understand what exactly would make Kennedy look like he isn't " a stand up dude."

People transfer schools all the time. Non athletes at a higher rate than athletes.
_lefraud_
AG
I'm not saying Kennedy is or isn't, but there are coaches who bring in a guy last minute, or whatever the case is, in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle, but realizing that said guy isn't really in the long term plans. A coach has the luxury of offering 1 year scholarships, and they use it to their full advantage.

The "kennedy is a good guy" bit is just what some posters use to justify keeping around a bad coach. They look at his church attendance and lifestyle and are happy he isn't embarrassing the school (off the court). However, when it comes to the nitty gritty of college basketball and the job, I don't think Kennedy is morally superior, or a better guy than his counterparts. And I don't find anything wrong with that, or expect him to be "better". Unfortunately, it just comes with the territory of coaching college basketball.
mdanyc03
AG
Quote:

The "kennedy is a good guy" bit is just what some posters use to justify keeping around a bad coach. They look at his church attendance and lifestyle and are happy he isn't embarrassing the school (off the court).
This is a total straw man.

Literally nobody uses the "kennedy is a good guy" bit as a reason to keep him as a coach. People like you sure like to beat that straw man though.
bobinator
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Quote:

The "kennedy is a good guy" bit is just what some posters use to justify keeping around a bad coach. They look at his church attendance and lifestyle and are happy he isn't embarrassing the school (off the court).
This is a total straw man.

Literally nobody uses the "kennedy is a good guy" bit as a reason to keep him as a coach. People like you sure like people that straw man though.
Thank you.

Like, I haven't seen anyone post that. But people keep posting that people are posting that.
Method Man
It's part of why he's still here goobers. You can pretend it's not said about him by every donor but it's not true.
mdanyc03
AG
Method Man said:

It's part of why he's still here goobers. You can pretend it's not said about him by every donor but it's not true.

Source?
Method Man
Texts from guys that aren't the biggest but do rub elbows some of them. MMAgs.

I can't name names, but many lead every minor criticism with "he's a great guy but..."
Method Man
Would he have a job if he had Sumlin's personality?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.