Hooping For Luv

2,872 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheChameleon
mdanyc03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to the Hooping For Luv game Saturday. It is basically a charity all star game(s) for Houston area high school and juco players. Plenty of highlights on line but here were my impressions.

First, keep in mind that the format was very informal. Like a high school version of the NBA all star game, but worse. About 100 alley oops, little to no defense and in a couple of cases everybody momentarily stopped playing basketball, mid possession, and started dancing when the music and DJ indicated.

It was a reminder that there is a TON of talent in Houston. By my count, there were at least 20 guys that signed D1 there. There were guys that I hadn't even heard of (I don't follow high school basketball or recruiting super closely other than the very top tier guys and the guys A&M is recruiting) but there were several times that I though "huh, that guy is pretty good", and I would look him up only to find he had signed with Iowa State or Butler or Cincy or Purdue, etc. And those were really the second tier guys.

So I will go straight to the Aggies. There was a slam dunk contest first that I missed because we were late. We got there just after the first game started. Team Green (featuring Jay Jay Chandler along with Jase Febres (Texas) and Darius McNeil (Iowa State)) vs Team Blue (Eden Ewing, Purdue and Trevor Moore, Cincinnati and others).

As for Jay Jay. First the good. Very athletic, as you all know. In an event with literally dozens of alley oops, off the backboard dunks, etc., he elevates at a different level than anybody else there. He can fill it up too. At one point, he knocked down three straight 3's in one of those mini "can you top this" all star game back and forths. He pulled up from 20, then about 25 then almost 30 the next time down. Apparently (based on twitter) he scored 27.

Bad: He seemed much more comfortable shooting off the dribble than catching and shooting. He is also very left hand dominant, and that is my biggest concern. He looks very uncomfortable finishing with his right and doesn't have very advanced footwork going that way. A couple of times in transition he could have easily stepped through with his right to finish when his guy was playing him to the left. Instead he would just try to keep blowing past the guy to the left and end up scooping around with a bad angle and blew a couple of layup that way. He seems to me like he will be great as an energy or instant offense guy when a spark is needed. It seems to me he will need to refine his footwork quite a bit before he becomes a primary option. A good defender could play him one sided pretty easily right now. He has a good cross over but just isn't comfortable finishing going to his right from what I can see. Shoots when he goes to his left, passes when forced to his right.

After Green and Blue finished then the Black (Savion Flagg, Royce Hamm, Maxwelle Evans) came on vs Team Gray. As many good players as played in the first game, it looked like the JV game in comparison as soon as Team Black came on to warm up, just from a physical and size stand point.

Savion Flagg was physically the most impressive guy there and it wasn't very close. The best comparable I can come up with is Lebron (obviously not saying he is comparable in quality). He is much thicker than I thought. He is big enough, I think to defend the four or even the five (outside of the Bam Adebayo and Tyler Davis types). He is very comfortable handling the ball and is a good passer. At least he is pretty good at throwing alley oops off the back board and so forth against minimal defense. But he does look very comfortable and sees the floor well. He didn't take an outside shot the entire time that I can remember. He actually linked up with Royce Hamm really well and the two of them probably connected on more alley oops than anybody.

Also, I would have liked to have seen at least some defense. Nobody played much defense but I don't think Flagg got into a defensive stance once. Not a criticism, he was there to entertain and put on a good show, but I would have just been curious to see. Phyiscally/ athletically he looks like he should be a fantastic transition defender, but I didn't get to see that.

Assuming he stays healthy, etc, I have little doubt he will be an NBA player sooner or later. If he walked into an NBA game tomorrow he wouldn't look out of place physically at all.

Two other random observations. Maxwell Evans is really good. He will thrive at Vandy. And Kevin Samuel (TCU) is super awkward. Seemed like a really nice and likeable guy, and he is 6'10, but he had that Manute Bol awkwardness. Which isn't ideal in an all star game.
mdanyc03
AG
https://twitter.com/TakeMyTalent/status/846037322390921216/video/1

Flagg is four in black, jay jay is six in green.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Thanks!
wacarnolds
AG
Flagg sounds like he'll bring a lot of what Jalen Jones did for us. Toughness inside, but the ability to handle the ball as a SF/PF.
Hop
Staff
AG
wacarnolds said:

Flagg sounds like he'll bring a lot of what Jalen Jones did for us. Toughness inside, but the ability to handle the ball as a SF/PF.
I think he's more of a wing that can attack inside than he is a tough inside presence. I don't see him as a true post player that can stretch. I see him more o f a perimeter guy that can play inside as needed but not his natural spot. I don't compare him to Jalen who I think was the opposite type of player.
mdanyc03
AG
Hop said:

wacarnolds said:

I think he's more of a wing that can attack inside than he is a tough inside presence. I don't see him as a true post player that can stretch. I see him more o f a perimeter guy that can play inside as needed but not his natural spot. I don't compare him to Jalen who I think was the opposite type of player.

I agree offensively. I don't think he has ever played with his back to the basket. But he is really big.
sincereag
Could Flagg be a similar player as maybe a Josh Jackson? A 6'7" wing player who can rebound well and create his own shot off the dribble?
GE
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Hop said:

wacarnolds said:

I agree offensively. I don't think he has ever played with his back to the basket. But he is really big.
I would say he's a House/Jones hybrid. Can't really think of a great comparison for him that we have had.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If you are forced to look for a comparison to a player on the 2015-2016 team for Flagg, seems like Danuel House is probably the closest.

Whatever. He seems to be legitimately good and will be great if he can immediately start pushing Hogg to either elevate his game further or see his minutes go down.
mdanyc03
AG
Quote:

If you are forced to look for a comparison to a player on the 2015-2016 team for Flagg, seems like Danuel House is probably the closest.
I think this is correct and House was my working comparable before Saturday. I think the comparison fits a bit less well than I thought though.

Physically, I think Flagg is thicker and probably an inch or two taller. He is just a very large man that is incredibly fast and explosive, which is why I brought up Lebron.

As far as styles. House was very right hand dominant. He could Euro step and finish going left (with his right hand) in transition, which is a big move for him. But in half court, he didn't really have a move going to his left, didn't really have a cross over or even really a jump stop that would let him keep balance and finish either way. It was pretty much straight and hard right and always liked to finish off one foot and with his right hand.

Flagg is a bit more balanced in that way. He can finish with his left in transition very comfortably, can cross over and can jump stop and finish going either direction and with either or both hands. I also think Flagg is a better ball handler but I don't want to assume that because I haven't seen him play against legit defensive pressure.

House likes to shoot the three a lot more and I think he is a better shooter. (Although his percentage wasn't great, I will assume that until I see more outside shooting from Flagg.) Flagg is certainly capable of shooting the three but I don't think he does so a super high percentage and as I mentioned doesn't really seem very interested in shooting outside. As mentioned, this was an All Star game when lots of guys where trying to do their Steph thing and shoot from 35 feet out, he didn't take a jump shot the entire time.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Whatever. He seems to be legitimately good and will be great if he can immediately start pushing Hogg to either elevate his game further or see his minutes go down.
I'll disagree. Flagg is a more fluid athlete who is a much better ballhandler and rim attacker than House ever was even his senior year when he improved that part of his game. On the flip side, Flagg isn't the perimeter shooter (yet) that House was at A&M. The games I watched Flagg, his 3-point percentage was pretty low although he has a pretty good stroke.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Someone needs to get Hogg, Caldwell, and Flagg on some legit shooting program for the offseason. If we can consistantly knock down outside shots; we will be next to impossible to guard since it'll give more room for our bigs and more dribble drive opportunities that'll lead to lobs for Rob.
Hop
Staff
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Someone needs to get Hogg, Caldwell, and Flagg on some legit shooting program for the offseason. If we can consistantly knock down outside shots; we will be next to impossible to guard since it'll give more room for our bigs and more dribble drive opportunities that'll lead to lobs for Rob.
Few people are talking about Chandler, but that kid can light it up from very deep and his release is cat quick. The guard competition next October/November will be very interesting to follow.
Aggie09Derek
AG
For sure. I saw him play against Bellaire and was pretty impressed.

Flagg/Caldwell just need to get to a point where the shot needs to be respected (not have another Dash out there) and Hogg can go from good to great shooter.
mdanyc03
AG
https://twitter.com/BJ_BallisLife/status/846704287967313920/video/1

Slam dunk contest
zooguy96
We always have a ton of hype about how basketball or football (moreso here) recruits will play, but then do many of them live up to the hype? (i.e. Daylon Mack, DJ Hogg, etc.). RW was a surprise (played better than expected), but who else in college basketball as a freshman (but a handful of players) generally lives up to the hype their first year?

I think some fans are expecting all 4 fish to be gangbusters, and I just don't see it. Maybe we hit on 1 (Flagg the most probable, IMHO), but all 4 aren't going to play well. So, does that make us markedly better next year, when we could see some regression in some players, given BK as our coach?

Coaching does matter in the discussion - trying to separate it from the discussion is not valid, as this is the most important quality generally as to if there is improvement in how we play as a team and individually.
mdanyc03
AG
zooguy96 said:

We always have a ton of hype about how basketball or football (moreso here) recruits will play, but then do many of them live up to the hype? (i.e. Daylon Mack, DJ Hogg, etc.). RW was a surprise (played better than expected), but who else in college basketball as a freshman (but a handful of players) generally lives up to the hype their first year?

For every player that fails to meet expectations there is one that exceeds expectations if those expectations are reasonable.

That is true at A&M just like anywhere else.

Quote:

I think some fans are expecting all 4 fish to be gangbusters, and I just don't see it.

I don't think anybody is expecting all four fish to be instant impact guys. In fact, I don't think anybody is expecting Jasey to get more than spot minutes or for TJ or Jay Jay to play more than 15 or so minutes per game. You are imposing false expectations which you somehow ascribe to other fans.

Quote:

So, does that make us markedly better next year, when we could see some regression in some players, given BK as our coach?

Coaching does matter in the discussion - trying to separate it from the discussion is not valid, as this is the most important quality generally as to if there is improvement in how we play as a team and individually.
There are lots of things to criticize Kennedy about. Player development isn't one of them. In fact I think player development (especially Darby Rich and off season strength and conditioning) is a strength of our program. As Jalen Jones or Danuel House who have publicly spoken about how much they improved physically once they got in our S&C program.
Method Man
Hop, one of House's advisors indicated to me that we should've posted him up more. Agree or disagree?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Method Man said:

Hop, one of House's advisors indicated to me that we should've posted him up more. Agree or disagree?

Lol at "advisors" and thinking they know what's best for the team.
zooguy96
mdanyc03 said:

zooguy96 said:

For every player that fails to meet expectations there is one that exceeds expectations if those expectations are reasonable.

That is true at A&M just like anywhere else.

Quote:

I think some fans are expecting all 4 fish to be gangbusters, and I just don't see it.

I don't think anybody is expecting all four fish to be instant impact guys. In fact, I don't think anybody is expecting Jasey to get more than spot minutes or for TJ or Jay Jay to play more than 15 or so minutes per game. You are imposing false expectations which you somehow ascribe to other fans.

Quote:

So, does that make us markedly better next year, when we could see some regression in some players, given BK as our coach?

There are lots of things to criticize Kennedy about. Player development isn't one of them. In fact I think player development (especially Darby Rich and off season strength and conditioning) is a strength of our program. As Jalen Jones or Danuel House who have publicly spoken about how much they improved physically once they got in our S&C program.

With respect to the Fish, I guess it's more to the "people expect us to make the NCAA's next year" crowd who would therefore expect our guard play to be markedly better.
bobinator
AG
zooguy96 said:

I think some fans are expecting all 4 fish to be gangbusters, and I just don't see it. Maybe we hit on 1 (Flagg the most probable, IMHO), but all 4 aren't going to play well. So, does that make us markedly better next year, when we could see some regression in some players, given BK as our coach?

Hoops recruits are expected to contribute right away if they're legit "blue chip" type prospects. The problem is the lack of detail in the rankings system for basketball. There's like 200 four stars and they aren't all created equal.

Hogg had House and Jones in front of him his first year, but he probably should have been better this year.

But, and this is a rough estimate just based off what I've seen, I think if you're in the top 20, you should instantly be one of your team's best players. If you're 20-60 or so you should be a solid contributor, 60-100 you should at least play, 100-200 is a player who might be able to contribute right away but you'd probably rather have a more experienced player there, but these type players might take a year or two before they're in your rotation.

I say that to say I expect Caldwell, especially since he's had a half redshirt year, to be ready to go, and I expect Flagg to be a solid player right away. The others we should be able to bring along, which is also extremely helpful.

If you have to rely on a player who may not be completely ready, it can go either way on if that pushes up their timeline or pushes it back.
mdanyc03
AG
This is exactly right.
mdanyc03
AG
Quote:

With respect to the Fish, I guess it's more to the "people expect us to make the NCAA's next year" crowd who would therefore expect our guard play to be markedly better.
People expect guard play to be much better because of JJ (and now Duane Wilson) more so than because of TJ and Jay Jay. That being said, I think we would all reasonably expect TJ and Jay Jay to be an upgrade to Chris Collins when it comes to the depth angle.

And if we are consider the 3 too, a healthy DJ, Savion Flagg and potentially a second year Vila should be an upgrade over an out of position Tonny and Kobe Eubanks 5 months off of having rods placed in his shins and Vila right off the plane from Spain.

I don't think any of those expectations have anything to do with over-hyping incoming freshmen.
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

I can see that some. The guy loosened up the middle with his 3-pt range though, and they had decent post play that year..
mdanyc03
AG
House has no low post game whatsoever
_mpaul
AG
mdanyc03
AG
Back on topic; both ced alley and Mitchell seraille were late scratches. I think seraille has a knock right now. Those were the two guys I wanted to see most outside of the signees.

But if anybody can identify number 7 on team black, please let me know. I loved that guy.
Method Man
mdanyc03 said:

House has no low post game whatsoever

How do you know? He never posted up?
mdanyc03
AG
He posted up several times. Then he got the ball and had no idea what to do. Sometimes and awkward turn around jump shot and sometimes passed it back out and sometimes just dribbled aimlessly with his back to the basket.
mdanyc03
AG
This was actually the adjustment by Billy Kennedy that won the overtime against N Iowa. They were guarding him with a smaller guy and we tried to post and it didn't work. So finally in the overtime we took out Tyler and left nobody in the low post and just got Danuel the ball at the top of the key with nothing in the middle. He was able to take advantage of the size advantage from the perimeter by just attacking straight at the rim. But they guarded him with a little guy the entire time and House could do nothing posting up or otherwise until we completely cleared the lane for him.
Method Man
Ok thanks
mdanyc03
AG
Wes Washpun. 6'1. Guarded House the entire game and he couldn't post up at all.
Method Man
He's pretty strong. It's hard to post up stronger shorties. That said, it's a good enough reason to agree.
mdanyc03
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Back on topic; both ced alley and Mitchell seraille were late scratches. I think seraille has a knock right now. Those were the two guys I wanted to see most outside of the signees.

But if anybody can identify number 7 on team black, please let me know. I loved that guy.

I believe number seven on black is karl Nicholas from pearland Dawson. Just signed with Montana. Just marking this now so I can bump when he does a josh nebo and transfers up.
rlb28
AG
South: Jay Jay Chandler 34, Max Evans 26, Savion Flagg 23, Quinn Slazinski 21, Karl Nicholas 18, John Walker 16, PJ Byrd 13, Tramon Mark 9, Jules Moor 9, Bryson Etienne 8, Hunter Quick 4

North: Jacobi Gordon 28, Darius McNeil 24, Cedric Alley 22, Micah Peavy 17, Royce Hamm 16, Ken Morris 15, Jase Febres 12, Miller Kopp 9, DJ Peavy 7, Doc Nelson 6
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.