John Feinstein on Bob Knight

2,781 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bangobango
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
John Feinstein: Bob Knight wants the last word on everything. Why do we bother listening?
greg.w.h
AG
Bobby Knight reminds me of Woody Hayes. As long as he is commenting specifically as a color commentator on the game being actually played in front of him live, he's tolerable. His side comments largely reflect his war with public perception and are largely unlistenable.
bobinator
AG
He was horrible on live calls. I did like when he was in the studio and they'd kick it back to him to explain an offensive set or some sort of fundamental part of the game or something. I thought he was good at that part.
Yell Practice
t - cam
AG
bobinator said:

He was horrible on live calls. I did like when he was in the studio and they'd kick it back to him to explain an offensive set or some sort of fundamental part of the game or something. I thought he was good at that part.
I didn't mind him in either of these roles. I actually really enjoyed his color commentary during games.
PJYoung
AG
Funny, I thought he was awful most of the time in that role.
CapCityAg89
AG
I liked him. But I liked him as a coach too. And he was hilarious on the driving range.

The funny thing is how he gets bashed on TexAgs while at the same time basically fitting every single checkbox for how posters define a "great" coach.
JJxvi
AG
I liked Knight doing color on a broadcast but quality went way down after a couple seasons from where it started.
88jrt06
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

I liked him. But I liked him as a coach too. And he was hilarious on the driving range.

The funny thing is how he gets bashed on TexAgs while at the same time basically fitting every single checkbox for how posters define a "great" coach.

My ass. But humble brag noted.
Should have been banned, but played the "Indiana hoops" nostalgia card. Violent, uncontrollable temper (fists, chairs, mouth), terrible role model, bitter, entitled POS.
So, why didn't tu hire him? Perfect fit.

Of course tu-junior did.

CapCityAg89
AG
Players graduated. Gave a **** ton of money to the schools (academics side), got tons out of his players, X and O guy that literally wrote the book on coaching, no media BS. Do not let the media control your perceptions. He was loved around Bloomington.

And he was on the campus course range all the time. Roped off area so no real brag but you could here him cussing bad shots from Indy.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Bobby Knight is a bit on the overrated side. Yeah, he has 3 NCAA championships, but so does Jim Calhoun and I've never heard Calhoun mentioned with Knight when it comes to coaching legends. In addition, Denny Crum, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Dean Smith, and Billy Donavan (among others) have 2 each, and except for Smith and MAYBE Pitino, none get near the accolades from Knight supporters and others that Knight does. Crum and Pitino did it with 2 teams. Knight is known for throwing chairs, getting ejected, and ruling his team and to some extent school by intimidation. Indiana put up with it when they were winning or at least getting to the Final Four. Getting there once in Knight's last 13 years wasn't worth his BS.

People I trust to have known what was going on in the Big 10 and around Indiana basketball have told me that Indiana was looking for a way to get rid of Knight since at least the mid-90s. Essentially 5 years prior to his leaving. But the championships and FF appearances were fresh on Indiana fans' minds then. I can't say that's a fact but the people who told me this (one outright and one confirmed when I asked), I believe, are in the know. Believe me or not, as you wish. Fans love coaches yelling profanities at officials who the fans think are screwing them. Admin that has to clean up the messes Knight made are less appreciative.

tech was such a clown school (still is) that putting up with Knight's crap was just another side show. I heard a rumor (this I will state clearly was a rumor) that Knight once went up to Mike Leach at a bar or restaurant and told him that he (Leach) was an embarrassment to tech. Aside from the fact that its difficult for anything to embarrass tech beyond what they are, Knight WAS right about that!
EKG1996
AG
Could say the same thing about Feinstein.
Method Man
EKG1996 said:

Could say the same thing about Feinstein.
this
SACR
AG

How was Leach an embarrassment to Tech?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Is that entire article someone who owes the start of his career entirely to one basketball legend badmouthing sad legend and talking about what a bad person he is? Or did he change to another topic in his last paragraph or two that I didn't read?
_lefraud_
AG
Just my opinion, but what makes Knight so incredible to me, in addition to his accomplishments, is he molded the greatest men's basketball coach of all-time.
Method Man
They all hate him because he's Trump fan.
W
AG
Knight is a complicated guy no doubt.

but he deserves major credit for winning 3 championships while graduating players and avoiding probation/violations.

very, very few coaches can say that
Richierich2323
_lefraud_ said:

Just my opinion, but what makes Knight so incredible to me, in addition to his accomplishments, is he molded the greatest men's basketball coach of all-time.

In his coaching tree, is also Dave Bliss.

Luke The Drifter
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Players graduated. Gave a **** ton of money to the schools (academics side), got tons out of his players, X and O guy that literally wrote the book on coaching, no media BS. Do not let the media control your perceptions. He was loved around Bloomington.

And he was on the campus course range all the time. Roped off area so no real brag but you could here him cussing bad shots from Indy.

Can't buy your way into heaven. All of the charitable donations and diplomas on player's walls don't make up for being an anger-driven, abusive, narcissist with no self control. People in Bloomington loved him the same way people in State College loved Joe Paterno.

No question Bob Knight is a talented coach, but I can tell you first hand (from his days at tech), he is a horrible human being. Shameful he never got the help he needed to destroy the demons inside of him.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Method Man
Tell us more.
Bocephus
AG
Tremendous coach/teacher that has let his ego and pride alienate him from everyone.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Method Man said:

Tell us more.

What do you want to know?

How awful he treated his staff - from his assistants all the way down to his secretaries?

How he was the most foul-mouthed person I've known on the 47 years I've been alive?

How he told Texas Tech administrators he was in Lubbock "only for the paychecks"?

Bobby Knight is a despicable person. Not sure why, but he is. So much great coaching knowledge and ability - so little regard for descency and respect for others.

Knight was a spoiled, entitled, snow flake mellinial 40 years before it was as cool to be that way.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
SACR
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Method Man said:

Tell us more.

What do you want to know?

How awful he treated his staff - from his assistants all the way down to his secretaries?

How he was the most foul-mouthed person I've known on the 47 years I've been alive?

How he told Texas Tech administrators he was in Lubbock "only for the paychecks"?

Bobby Knight is a despicable person. Not sure why, but he is. So much great coaching knowledge and ability - so little regard for descency and respect for others.

Knight was a spoiled, entitled, snow flake mellinial 40 years before it was as cool to be that way.

Should he have lied?

Is there another reason to be in Lubbock?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

How was Leach an embarrassment to Tech?

I guess my point was that he was more of an embarrassment in general. I'll let tech folks fight it out over whether he was an embarrassment to them or not. Knight apparently thought so, but, as Luke pointed out -- and assuming what I was told is true, if there is a better example of the pot calling the kettle black I've never heard it.
bangobango
AG
Leach was the only thing NOT embarrassing about Ttech.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.