A&M ranked headed into next season?

11,282 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wacarnolds
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GE said:

wacarnolds said:

Basketball coach is clearly the more stable job to hold at Texas A&M, and I don't expect Sumlin to be here in 2 years. But that speaks more to program expectations and conference competition than the difference in coaching talent between Sumlin and Kennedy.

I only broke out current outlook and future outlook into separate items because we are always putting the cart before the horse with Kennedy (and Sumlin). And both have a way of making us look dumb.
I think all you have to do is look at the freshmen and juniors on the basketball team. We will have a VERY strong group of upperclassmen for at minimum the next four seasons. Land a top PF/C in the '18 recruiting class and you're looking at a program well-placed to make deep tournament runs year after year.
I feel like something similar was mentioned in the summer of 2015 and two seasons later we were sitting at home during both the NCAAT and NIT.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Sumlin's cranking out 8-5 records year after year are Pretty bad in terms of return on investment given the millions annually that he and his staff are paid plus the best facilities in the country plus 100,000 fans at games.

He gets 4 automatic wins per season with cupcake games (33% of his schedule). Then he got lucky having South Carolina as his permanent opponent just as they became terrible. So that is 5 wins that he gets just by breathing.

He is 1-9 vs the teams that typically recruit better than him Alabama and LSU.

Meanwhile he has several losses to schools over past few years that have less resources lower and ranked recruiting classes than A&M.

As people point out, both Sumlin AND Kennedy have been generally mediocre. One really good season, one 'okay' season, and then a lot of disappointment.

And with Sumlin it is VERY hard to see him doing any better specifically next year. Worse seems more likely.

Both Sumlin and Kennedy absolutely deserve to get whacked if next year stinks.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Well like I just posted, that wasn't the original question. That's a different question, with a different obvious answer.

That wasn't the original question of the OP and in fact Hayden made that one comment in all of this discussion on many issues and you randomly decide to put a stake in the ground on that one statement and say this is the original topic on the thread? Um...OK.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

well obviously the coaching staff should care, but I mean as fans there's no point worrying about two years down the road. Let's actually live up to expectations next year first.

If there's no point in worrying about what happens more than one year out, then why does this board have a 678 post thread w 91k page views discussing the recruitment of A&M targets that won't play a game for at least two years? Of course it matters. Influx of talent into the pipeline is the single biggest component for high D-1 success. If Pearl was filling his pipeline w generic 3-star talent, his poor 3-year record would take on a completely different tone.

Since in college sports, a majority of fans are donors and influencers of the program, a good program needs knowledgeable and prudent fans/donors. So it's, no question, important to know the context of what is happening to the longer term success factors of the program.
mhayden
Hop said:

bobinator said:

Well like I just posted, that wasn't the original question. That's a different question, with a different obvious answer.

That wasn't the original question of the OP and in fact Hayden made that one comment in all of this discussion on many issues and you randomly decide to put a stake in the ground on that one statement and say this is the original topic on the thread? Um...OK.

I sad Sumlin's results have been far better than Kennedy's. You replied directly to it starting with "You must be joking."

If you feel like Kennedy has really elevated this basketball program from when he took it over then that's fine. I'd argue that while the recruiting has elevated, the coaching has plummeted.

But to try and argue that Kennedy's results are on equal footing with Sumlin's results is just idiotic.

Hop
Staff
AG
free_mhayden said:

Hop said:

bobinator said:

I sad Sumlin's results have been far better than Kennedy's. You replied directly to it starting with "You must be joking."

If you feel like Kennedy has really elevated this basketball program from when he took it over then that's fine. I'd argue that while the recruiting has elevated, the coaching has plummeted.

But to try and argue that Kennedy's results are on equal footing with Sumlin's results is just idiotic.

At this point, you aren't even responding to the right discussion.
bobinator
AG
Hop, you created that entire discussion. Everyone knows I absolutely hate 80-90% of what mhayden posts, but you're the one who replied "you must be joking" and then started arguing a completely different point than the point you attacked.

Getting hung up in the unimportant minutiae of a point and completely derailing a whole conversation because of it is like mhayden's calling card, but in this case it was you that did it.

Its like you fought a black hole by creating another black hole.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Maybe back on topic for this thread, Fox Sports has updated their Pre-Season Top-25 now that the NBA draft deadline has passed and has Texas A&M at #24.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/gallery/college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-for-2018-nba-draft-deadline-decisions-052517

Quote:

#24 Texas A&M Aggies

From the second the off-season began the Aggies were one of the sport's biggest winners, courtesy of Robert Williams' decision to return to school. Williams had been projected by most as a Top 15 pick and when coupled with the return of leading scorer and rebounder Tyler Davis and sharp-shooter D.J. Hogg the Aggies could be a dark horse SEC title contender. And since our initial "Way Too Early Top 25" in April things have only gotten better in College Station, as A&M has added Marquette transfer Duane Wilson. He will be eligible to play right away.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
What caught my eye is how many of those teams we're playing this year! Although, I can tell you right now that the small schools won't stay there for long, aside from Xavier.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

Sumlin's cranking out 8-5 records year after year are Pretty bad in terms of return on investment given the millions annually that he and his staff are paid plus the best facilities in the country plus 100,000 fans at games.

He gets 4 automatic wins per season with cupcake games (33% of his schedule). Then he got lucky having South Carolina as his permanent opponent just as they became terrible. So that is 5 wins that he gets just by breathing.

Meanwhile he has several losses to schools over past few years that have less resources lower and ranked recruiting classes than A&M.

As people point out, both Sumlin AND Kennedy have been generally mediocre. One really good season, one 'okay' season, and then a lot of disappointment.

And with Sumlin it is VERY hard to see him doing any better specifically next year. Worse seems more likely.

Sumlin won't win 8 in the regular season this year.
GE
AG
jml2621 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Sumlin won't win 8 in the regular season this year.
I think he will. 4 gimmes. Only need 4 out of the remaining 8
wacarnolds
AG
#19 in Yahoo's latest rankings

Quote:

19. TEXAS A&M
Key losses: G J.C. Hampton, F Tavario Miller
Key returners: F Robert Williams, F D.J. Hogg, G Admon Gilder, F Tyler Davis, F Tonny Trocha-Morelos, G J.J. Caldwell
Notable newcomers: G Duane Wilson, G Savion Flagg, G D.J. Starks, G Jay Jay Chandler
Outlook: Had Robert Williams entered the NBA draft after his impressive freshman season, he would have almost certainly been a top 20 pick with a chance to crack the lottery. The athletic, high-upside 6-foot-9 forward instead chose to come back to Texas A&M for his sophomore season, gambling that he can improve his stock next season if his skill set takes a leap forward. The return of Williams gives Texas A&M an excellent chance to bounce back from last year's disappointing 16-15 season. The Aggies welcome back their top five scorers including standouts Tyler Davis, D.J. Hogg and Admon Gilder. If J.J. Caldwell or graduate transfer Duane Wilson can solidify the point guard position and allow Gilder to move off ball, Texas A&M should be an upper-echelon SEC team next season.

wacarnolds
AG
#1, 2, 4, 8, 9, 11, 22 on our schedule

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.